Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

helmet recommendations

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am getting a new bike helmet! My current one is about 11 years old and even though it hasn't seen any accidents, I am ready for something new. I'd love to hear from you ladies what brand/styles of helmet you recommend, and what do you like about them? Since it's been so long since I've shopped for one, I don't really know what's out there and what to look for, or if they're really all the same these days and all you have to do is find the color you like.

Many thanks for any suggestions you may have!

S

The fit varies by manufacturer. I just bought two new helmets this summer, to replace my Giro Pneumo helmets. I found that Bell. Bontrager and Louis Garneau fit me fine, but Specialized didn't fit comfortably. I didn't try any Giros this time around because I wanted something with big vents and a removable visor, and they don't make any like that.

I would up buying a Bell Volt, which is generally comfortable but I find that the straps are very stiff and they tend to irritate my ears. Still I'm able to wear it on my long weekend rides.

For my second helmet, which I use for evening rides, having a visor isn't so important to me so I got a Bontrager. I don't remember which model. It was one of their mid-range models, not cheap but not the ones the pros wear either. (And the straps are nice and soft.)

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

The main thing is to try on many brands/models as the helmet shape varies by manufacturer. Generally, as you go up in price, you get better air venting/cooling, and lighter weight. They will all have to conform to minimum safety standards so don't think the cheaper ones don't protect as well. The helmet needs to fit well to protect well. That being said, there are some new helmet types, like POC, that can withstand multiple crashes, but appear to be geared for MTB riding and don't have as many cooling vents.

Where I ride, it can get really hot so superior venting is worth the $$ to me and after trying a bunch of helmets I ended up with the Specialized Prevail. And it turns out, after years with Giro and L.A.S., the Specialized shape fits me better. My head is not as much roundish as it is kinda flat on the sides and more long, front to back. Giro, Bell, Lazer, Louis Garneau, Mavic and L.A.S. are more round and just not as comfortable. I had used the sizing pads on the sides of my L.A.S. to snug up the fit, I don't have to monkey with anything to get the Specialized to fit me.

Helmets have changed a lot in 11 years. They are much lighter, cool better, and with all the brands out there you should be able to get a good fit. Oh, try not to wait 11 years between helmets, they do age, the materials break down from UV, sweat and being banged around. Most manufacturers advise 3~5 years average lifespan, if they have not been crashed.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Try a few- I found the Bell helmet felt more comfortable, and went for a more expensive model with lots of vents - the Sweep, because I live in the desert and have had some encounters with over-heating.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by tzvia View Post
    The main thing is to try on many brands/models as the helmet shape varies by manufacturer. Generally, as you go up in price, you get better air venting/cooling, and lighter weight. They will all have to conform to minimum safety standards so don't think the cheaper ones don't protect as well. The helmet needs to fit well to protect well. That being said, there are some new helmet types, like POC, that can withstand multiple crashes, but appear to be geared for MTB riding and don't have as many cooling vents.

Where I ride, it can get really hot so superior venting is worth the $$ to me and after trying a bunch of helmets I ended up with the Specialized Prevail. And it turns out, after years with Giro and L.A.S., the Specialized shape fits me better. My head is not as much roundish as it is kinda flat on the sides and more long, front to back. Giro, Bell, Lazer, Louis Garneau, Mavic and L.A.S. are more round and just not as comfortable. I had used the sizing pads on the sides of my L.A.S. to snug up the fit, I don't have to monkey with anything to get the Specialized to fit me.

Helmets have changed a lot in 11 years. They are much lighter, cool better, and with all the brands out there you should be able to get a good fit. Oh, try not to wait 11 years between helmets, they do age, the materials break down from UV, sweat and being banged around. Most manufacturers advise 3~5 years average lifespan, if they have not been crashed.
    +1 on this. They should all meet the same crash standards. In the higher end ones, you are paying for the ability to provide the protection with less weight and more venting. Living in Oregon, that last part may not make as much difference as it does to me, living in Texas. I do not begrudge the money spent on a really light, super venting helmet here.

Personally, I like the way the Bell helmets dial in their fit. I have the Bell Volt - very happy with the very light weight and the superior venting.

And, yes, they should be replaced every 3-5 years, depending on use and where you store them (not in a hot Texas garage, that's for sure). Of course, once you crash with one, it goes without saying that you need a new one. My brother-in-law had to replace 2 this year due to crashes (one MTB and one skiing). Ouch. But without one.....Ugh.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, don't buy anything that you haven't had a chance to try on. I like Bell for my head shape, but even among Bell helmets, some fit me better than others. I did ultimately buy it from TE, but only after I'd tried on that particular model at an LBS. That's probably bad etiquette, but the shop didn't have the helmet in the color scheme I wanted.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

As others have said, try out the different brands to see which fits you head shape best. If the Giros helmets fit you well, I can enthusiastically recommend the Ionos model - I tend to overheat easily and this helmet keeps my head ultra cool even in the high Texas summer temperatures.
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

Just chiming in to agree that your head's shape will likely determine the brand, then within that brand find what you like the best. I also value something that keeps my round head cool, so I went with the Giro Aeon and couldn't be happier. I've owned many Giro and have liked them all. The venting is excellent and I like the feel on my head. Just about any helmet will meet minimum standards, but as a pp said, above those minimum standards, comfort, style, and head temperature are key. I have another helmet for cooler riding that is less $$ and warmer, so consider the season in which you are choosing your helmet, as well. What may feel fine for me now may not cut it next July when it's blistering hot. However, given your location, that may not be an issue for you. You didn't mention pony tail, but if you put your hair up, there are helmets specifically to help with that.
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

I agree with many of the recommendations here. Make sure the helmet fits. Check out the 2013 Lazer Helium -- it has a built in light in the back (in the adjustment mechanism) and for 2013 they will be shipping it in a high visibility orange and high visibility yellow.