Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Anyone training for El Tour de Tucson?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm determined to do the 40 miler this year. I'm out of shape, slow and old....looking for others who are wanting to train on the East side. Start at Udall Park and go from there. I've got every week day morning and most weekends available to ride.
    Life is like a 10 speed bike, we all have gears we never use.
    Charles Schultz

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community."Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895

I'm training for El Tour, but for the 111. I have 3 weeks off of work right now, so I will be riding frequently during the week, and will be doing some shorter (18-25 mile rides) as well as longer rides. PM me and maybe we can meet up. You've got plenty of time to gear up for the 40 mile distance!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I'm trying to figure out if I can swing traveling out there for it. I would really like to be there this year. If you've done it before, tell me a little bit about the route. I spent the summer training to the JDRF Tour De Tahoe, which I did 2 weeks ago, so I think if I can keep riding in the 40-50 mile range on the weekends and work in an 80 mile organized ride in October, I could do the 111 miler.

Hey azfiddler good to hear from you! I sent you a PM.
    Last edited by bikerchic; 09-24-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    Charles Schultz

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community."Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895

Quote Originally Posted by Amira View Post
    I'm trying to figure out if I can swing traveling out there for it. I would really like to be there this year. If you've done it before, tell me a little bit about the route. I spent the summer training to the JDRF Tour De Tahoe, which I did 2 weeks ago, so I think if I can keep riding in the 40-50 mile range on the weekends and work in an 80 mile organized ride in October, I could do the 111 miler.
    Hi Amira;

I've done the 111 a few times but it was years ago. The route is reversed from what it was then. Basically Tucson is pretty flat and doable although the ride up Oracle to Oro Valley can be a grind as it's well into the half way mark of the ride, but that out of the way and it's all home free down hill. Which is why I am doing the 40 miler.

You can check out the route here: http://www1.perimeterbicycling.com/el-tour-de-tucson/

I hope that helps and maybe you'll come on out, it's a very fun and well supported ride.

~Kate
    Charles Schultz

I did El Tour for the first time last year. I have been riding pretty seriously for about 3 years now, but had other commitments the first year and injuries the 2nd year. My longest ride prior to El Tour was only about 75 miles. I finished in 8:07, slowed down quite a bit at the end because my knee started hurting around 30 miles before the end and I took it easy and stopped a lot more after that.

I'm guessing that Tahoe would have a lot more climbing. If you need more info besides the map, feel free to follow up here or PM me.

Thanks bikerchic and azfiddle. I have to rearrange some work deadlines to pull it off, but working on it.

Yes, I think Tahoe probably had a lot more climbing (and at altitude), so I feel pretty confident that I could finish the 111 mile route in good shape by just maintaining the level where I am now (and worse case scenario, drop down and do the 80 mile route). Took 2 weeks off to reconnect with my spouse, clean house and catch up with work, but heading back to mid-week spin classes starting tonight and have either a 100k or 80 miler the following weekend (Paluxy Pedal in the Texas Hill County, so lots of climbs, including a short 19% grade one that my super fit tri friends said they had to walk up) and will look for another 100k to 80 mile organized ride before Tucson.

It would be fun to meet some TE folks out there!

Amira, let us know if you're going to come down. We can definitely find a way to meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    Amira, let us know if you're going to come down. We can definitely find a way to meet up.
    Ditto that I would love to meet you too Amira.
    Charles Schultz

Thanks! It would be cool. Working on it.