Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trek Madone 4.5 WSD vs Specialized Amira Expert

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi! This is only my second post, but I just wanted to get everyone's opinion.
    I'm debating between a 2012 (barely used) Trek 4.5 WSD Madone (for $1200) and a 2010 (also barely used) Specialized Amira Expert (for $1800).
    This will be my first road bike. I have no problem hauling my two kids in a Burley (totaling a few lbs over 100!) on my mountain bike for about 20 or more miles, so it's not like I don't have the strength to be able to go distances on a road bike, if that helps at all.
    Please chime in with ANY opinions, advice, insight, etc. you may have!
    Thank you in advance!!!

My other passion is photography. I can't tell you how heated the debates on Nikon v. Canon are on that forum. I expect Trek v. Specialized may be more of the same. Both are great bikes and, when it comes down to it, only you can decide which one (assuming they both fit you) feels better FOR you. I love my Amira. My sister loves her Madone. We're both right. You are just going to have to ride them both and see how they feel.

PS, but in the Nikon v. Canon wars, I give the edge to Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Catikin12 View Post
    Hi! This is only my second post, but I just wanted to get everyone's opinion.
    I'm debating between a 2012 (barely used) Trek 4.5 WSD Madone (for $1200) and a 2010 (also barely used) Specialized Amira Expert (for $1800).
    This will be my first road bike. I have no problem hauling my two kids in a Burley (totaling a few lbs over 100!) on my mountain bike for about 20 or more miles, so it's not like I don't have the strength to be able to go distances on a road bike, if that helps at all.
    Please chime in with ANY opinions, advice, insight, etc. you may have!
    Thank you in advance!!!
    Tough choice. Assuming that both bikes fit well and that you like both the colors, I guess that I would choose based on which LBS has better service and if you can get a warranty for the bike or not. The Trek is newer 2012...so the resale might be higher. But the 2010 Amira Expert has the Ultegra for $600 and is an older model while the 2012 Trek 4.5 has the Shimano 105. Hmmm. Very tough decision.

Assuming they both fit well, go for the better groupset, i.e. Ultrega.

Quote Originally Posted by Amira View Post
    PS, but in the Nikon v. Canon wars, I give the edge to Canon.
    and I would bet that's because you own one (professional photographer, Nikon d700)

As for the bike - I'd mirror everyone else here - go for the one with the best fit and feel.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    and I would bet that's because you own one (professional photographer, Nikon d700)

As for the bike - I'd mirror everyone else here - go for the one with the best fit and feel.
    Ha, isn't that usually how it works? Long-time serious amateur (like from back in film developing and printing days). Still shooting my 5D (but eyeing the 5DIII at this point). Have my brother's old film Nikon, though. Not usually the one getting in the middle of the camera wars. Like bikes....both are good options, but it comes down to individual choice.

Back to topic, I will say that all things being equal fit and feel wise, I'd take Ultegra over 105 components any day. That's like putting your money on the good glass over the latest body, photographically speaking.

First- I meant to say that the Trek would be $1500, NOT $1200.
    I had a VERY long, tiresome, and annoying road to get my bike, but I just got it a couple of hours ago and I am IN LOVE!!! Who knew I was capable of such love for an in-adamant object?!?
    I had so many issues with finding a bike that fit me. I actually typed out this (incredibly) long post that I was initially going to post, but when I was just about done with it, I realized what bike I needed (yes, needed!) to get. But just out of curiosity, I still started a thread just to see what everyone else thought. Yes, I am a Type "D" person. I analyze and over-analize and then re-analyze like CRAZY!!!
    And because I maybe should have started this post with which bike I got, here it is: I got a BEAUTIFUL Specialized Amira Expert. And I love her.

I actually looked at both the Amira and the Madone and ended up getting a Felt F-5.

I also prefer Canon, but I've had Canon cameras for years. I had a Canon Rebel 35mm film camera when I was in college and upgraded to a Canon digital. Actually have both a Canon digital Rebel and a Canon D. (Still have the film camera as well). The film camera went to many NASCAR races and hockey games.

First- I meant to say that the Trek would be $1500, NOT $1200.
    I had a VERY long, tiresome, and annoying road to get my bike, but I just got it a couple of hours ago and I am IN LOVE!!! Who knew I was capable of such love for an in-adamant object?!?
    I had so many issues with finding a bike that fit me. I actually typed out this (incredibly) long post that I was initially going to post, but when I was just about done with it, I realized what bike I needed (yes, needed!) to get. But just out of curiosity, I still started a thread just to see what everyone else thought. Yes, I am a Type "D" person. I analyze and over-analize and then re-analyze like CRAZY!!!
    And because I maybe should have started this post with which bike I got, here it is: I got a BEAUTIFUL Specialized Amira Expert. And I love her.
    As a fellow Amira owner, you made an excellent decision, especially since the Trek was $1500 rather than $1200.

I am very happy that you are "IN LOVE"!

I'm considering an Amira. Excellent choice--you love it.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I really liked the Amira - you got a nice deal on a great bike and components! Pictures when you are able to take some, please!
    Last edited by gocard; 09-21-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks, "TigerMom"!
    Owlie, you should totally get one!!!
    Gocard- yes! I think I did get a good deal... especially with the few extras that I got with it as well And yes, I can't wait to take some pics of my new bestie and post them- lol!
    It was really the only bike that I felt "good" on in my massacre of trying SOOOO many various bikes at several different bike shops.
    Honestly, it was a horrible experience. If I wasn't a determined person, I would have given up getting a nice road bike after the first... or second... or even third or fourth! But at the end of it all, I learned that there are several not so common factors about myself that effect the type of bike I need, and I have a bike that I am so incredibly happy with. So the end result is wonderful and that's what I'm going to focus on. But I do still need to find a decent (yes, I will settle for decent, not great at this point!) LBS that I can take my future business/needs to.

Here she is:
    2010 Specialized Amira Expert

Here she is:
    Excellent! Although you might have to change your "little miss indecisive" name, because you have obviously decided that you are in love with your Amira

Lol- I do need to change it! I really lucked out with it. The girl I bought it from hadn't even ridden it 100 miles (her odometer read 65. something!). The guy at the bike shop said it was as new as the 2013's on their racks! And with all of the "extras" that it came with, I know I saved a ton.
    2010 Specialized Amira Expert