Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I confess that I dress lighter than many people, so take this with a grain of salt.

For those temps, I'd probably wear thermal knickers or light tights (depends on wind), short-sleeve wool jersey, arm warmers, and my convertible jacket. I'd add a Buff, my lighter-weight winter gloves, wool socks, and toe covers. I might bring a lighter skull cap and lighter gloves, just in case.

Being overdressed just sucks the energy out of me in a way that being chilly doesn't.

They keep dropping the high temps tomorrow, it keeps getting closer to 60 with a cold, raw wind. I may just stick with that LS base layer with wool SS jersey.

Thanks for all of the comments, it sounds like I've all my bases covered. It is interesting that each year we have to re-think how to dress for cooler temps. At least I have to rethink it. Unlike previous years, however, I already have all I need and that is a good feeling. My budget likes that

I second the person who mentioned knickers. I have a pr of PI symphony knickers and they are possibly my favorite cycling garment. In the spring and fall, I can wear them with regular socks or if it's pretty chilly, I wear black knee socks (the "active variety" from REI) and it keeps me warm and doesn't look too silly since it's all black. I have some tights to wear over my shorts but they are for really cold weather. The whole knee socks under knickers covers me to about 40/45 deg. And if it does get pretty warm, they're somehow not much hotter than shorts. Love 'em!
    2010 Trek 2.1 WSD

The ride is now behind me, AND the starting temps were in the 50's, not the 40's as predicted. I went with my light weight Sugoui Mid-Zero tights over shorts, a wool base layer, SS jersey (not wool), light weight convertible windbreaker, full gloves and toe covers. Nothing on ears or head aside from my helmet

At the first SAG, about 17 miles into the ride, I removed the toe covers and got rid of the sleeves from the windbreaker but kept the shell. Considering there was a chilly wind when the sun wasn't out I was quite comfortable and left the tights and everything else on. A couple of times when the sun was out I got a little warm, but that happened so rarely that I was glad I had everything else on. I get cold! There were a few times I regretted loosing the toe covers but that was fine.