Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Surly Cross-Check sizing for the ladies, please!

Hi all! I'm getting ready to purchase a Cross-Check and am in a dilemma about sizing. I'm nearly 5'4 and am having trouble deciding between the 42cm and a 46cm. I have given each a test ride and both sizes and both feel very good, but just slightly more reach is felt on the 46cm, and a little less cramped. I'm leaning toward going with the 46cm.

This will be my first cyclocross bike, so I'm expecting to feel like it's a bit more aggressive than the little commuter bike I'm riding now. Any help or advice from anyone would be appreciated!

A friend of mine who is about my size (she's about 5'3", I am closer to 5'4") has the 42. I borrowed it and liked it. I think they run a bit bigger than my Redline Conquest, which is a 44...they're probably pretty comparable. I think I'd be going through the same dilemma that you are. Do you plan to do CX races with it? I might encourage you to go smaller if you're between sizes (and maybe try a longer stem). If you are planning to ride it more on the road you might like the 46 more.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

One thing to keep in mind is that most people seem to go for less aero positioning on a CX bike...perhaps thinking in terms of something midway between a road bike and a mtn. bike. I would personally not want to be as aggressively positioned on a CX bike, since you're going to want some degree of "body english" ability. And a bigger bike will weigh more, which you'll feel every time you have to cart that baby over a barrier or up a hill.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

They run big, by all accounts. I'm nearly 5'7" and am looking at the 46 or 50! (Granted, short torso, but still!)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    That makes me think I need to find somewhere to test a 50, Owlie. They only had that one 52, hate to fall into that trap. Sigh. Why can't it be easy?
    The 46 is probably on the short side, but the 50 may be on the long side for me. The 50, I think, has a 53.5 TT.

I have a 46 on order. I didn't get to try one in my size as they only had a 52 which was much too big. I spent an hour with the guys at the shop before deciding but I am still nervous about the fit. If it comes on time, I can pick it up next Wednesday. I alternate between being very excited (how many sleeps?) and studying the geometry charts! I am about 5'5" and I have a 29-1/2" inseam. The 50 has a 30-1/4" stand over size. I figured I was better off with the 46 since it has a 29-1/2" stand over. A bike that is too tall that way makes me nervous in case I'm off the bike quickly! I can always get a bit longer stem if I need to.

I'm going solely by geometry charts; we have one or two Surly dealers around here, but they don't have the smaller sizes on the floor.

Side note: I'm not enamored of that weird green color for 2013. Also not a fan of black, for some reason. I'd buy the frameset and have it sandblasted and powder-coated in British racing green. That way I can build it up with more "road" parts.