Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

To Aero or not to Aero...that is the question

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey guys! I've got a question. What is your opinion on adding aero bars to a road bike? I have a Trek Lexa WSD that I love, and love to ride. I occassionally ride with a couple of groups in my area. There are a couple of people who have added aero bars (clip-on) to thier bike. One lady said she is just lazy and loves stretching out and riding. Others have said it is a more comfortable ride, easier on the back and it works other leg muscles. Neither of them use thier aeros during our group rides though. I entertained the thought of adding them because it would be an expensive addition that would not involve me disecting my bike, and if I did'nt like it I can always take them off. The areas that I ride are long and hilly. I have times where I'm thinking, "gee my arms are tired, I wish I could lay down!!!". I am soliciting all input, good and bad. And also, who has the better bars? Thanks!!

I've been in group rides, in a pace line, where we didn't want anyone pulling the pace line to ride in their aerobars. The thing about aerobars is that you're not as stable on your bike, slight weight shift will make you and your bike are more twitchy. So it makes it very difficult to pace off of someone that's wiggly on the road. Maybe if your abs are really strong and you don't twich it isn't that big of a deal. I tend to think of aerobars are good for solo rides, not for riding in pacelines. I wouldn't want to ride next to someone in aerobars either, again the twitchy / all over the road problem.
    Let's just say I've had bad experiences with wanna-bes in their aerobars.
    Beth

I've never had a problem with tired arms.

Do you ride in the drops?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Tired arms? Visit a fitter if you haven't already. Take your hands (one at a time!) off the bars and shake them out.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

No aeros on group rides - don't ride with groups that allow it. It's too dangerous, especially for newbs that don't always have the best bike handling to begin with. Not only do they decrease your stability, they put your hands far away from your brakes.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I like having aero bars on my road bike. They help a lot when you're riding in the wind and they do give you other positions for stretching out your back. Like the others have said, though, you shouldn't use them when you're riding in a group.

Lots of good advice here. I would also suggest that beyond looking at bike fit, also look at your core strength (abs and back) to help with tired arms. In the spirit of full disclosure, I'll be frank here... my core strength sucks. I'm back to riding after a long hiatus and I'm still trying to lose weight. I have been working on fat burn rather than strength training. I do have to shake out my hands occasionally, but riding in my drops is HEAVEN. Seriously, I would rather ride in my drops than to even be on the hoods or tops, but I need to shift positions, at times have quicker access to brakes and shifters, etc. Although I am super comfortable and as aero as I can be while in the drops, I know that building core strength will add even more to it. Laying on aero bars would never work that core strength as I ride. If you are feeling arm tiredness, it boils down to core strength that helps you keep your weight balanced on the bike. There is a rule of thumb about riding which is that you should be able to have someone yank your arms out from under you and you would not fall forward without being able to catch yourself with your core strength. (I hope that makes sense, but what I'm saying is that you should be THAT balanced on the bike.) As you become more familiar with your bike, you will learn how to relax into a full tuck that saves your energy, but keeps you very aero for the wind, while not tiring your arms. I would not go the aero bar route unless you want to get into time trialing or triathlons. JMO.
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

You mention that you wouldn't use them in the group, but many people think they're dangerous just being on the bike - in an accident, it's possible to really hurt the rider in front - was on a ride that had that happen - it wasn't pretty. That being said, I added aerobars to my road bikes for long, endurance rides - 120 miles and up. It helps give lots of muscles a break, but only when no other riders are around.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

To everyone who says they add them to be more comfortable- please go have a fit done. You are not in the correct position if you are more comfortable and "stretched out" feeling. It will also change your you sit on your saddle, hence why TT saddles are shaped differently then road saddles.

Quote Originally Posted by ehirsch83 View Post
    To everyone who says they add them to be more comfortable- please go have a fit done. You are not in the correct position if you are more comfortable and "stretched out" feeling. It will also change your you sit on your saddle, hence why TT saddles are shaped differently then road saddles.
    I use mine as an alternate position (and obviously, to be more aero!) on 24-hour races, and I used them every minute I could on RAAM, just to give myself the aero advantage and also to give my hands a break. On "normal" rides, under 100 miles, it's not necessary.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

My primary reason for having aerobars is primarily because of wind issues, which are pretty consistent around here. I also ride a lot in my drops but only if I am riding solor, or with other experienced riders and I if I am not pulling but drafting. I don't often rode in a paceline or a group large enough to make a paceline. The two ladies I ride with and I will take turns pulling and drafting in a stiff wind, but none of us will ride in drops or aerobars if we are pulling. When I ride solo I use both my drops and aerobars as a method of moving around while on the bike. It sort of spreads the effort and wear and tear around.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I love having them on my bike. Most of my riding is solo. Also, the wind blows here almost ALL THE TIME! They also give my hands a rest. It just feels good to be able to change positions.
    pedal pusher

I'm sure that it's entirely possible - I've never even heard of it until I started browsing the forum, so I'll definitely check that out. It's pain/stiffness on the outside of the knee ... does that sound about right?