Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What size mountain bike should you have if you are 5"3 with a 29.5 inch inseam?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just bought a 17.5" Specialized Rockhopper and am starting to think it is too big--why didn't the guy at the store get me to try a 15"? It is true I am used to riding stretched out but maybe this is a bad habit I should break? Does anyone my size have such a big bike? This is a big purchase for me (I buy a new bike once every 10 years or so) so I am despondant. Thanks so much for your advice.

That does sound too big. I am a bit taller with a 30" inseam and the Salsa 29er I'm getting is a 14. Some 15s would be comparable. I had a 16" bike years ago that was too big for me.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I'm 5'4 with a similar inseam. I have a 15' hardtail, and a size small full suspension bike. No way could I ride a 17'5. Can you even stand over the bike comfortably? Go back to the shop and speak to the manager. I find it amazing that they would have put you on that size of a bike.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I ride a 15" hardtail and a small fully, and like others I'm 5'5" with a 29 inseam. With that said, I agree with others that I would take it back and speak with the manager. The salesperson may ahve assumed that you were comfortable, but on the other hand might have suggested that it looked a bit long through the top tube. Although you may have been comfortable with being stretched out, remember that if you are planning to ride in the dirt that will also make it harder to handle the bike and much harder to learn to pick up the front wheel.

5-3 here, 29" inseam. I ride a 15" FS and a women's med FSR. Me thinks you are on the wrong size bike. This is common that road riders switching over aren't used to how small a mtb cockpit might feel.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I don't have a mountain bike (yet!), but the ones I'm looking at are in the 16-17.5" range (WSD 29ers right now). I'm just under 5'7" with a 33"+ inseam. I'm going to say that that bike is too bike.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Thanks all, you have given me the courage to go back to the store

I am the same size, and while I actually ride a 13" FS, that is due to fit issues related to other things. If those problems didn't exist then I would ride a 15" frame. Let us know what happens at the store, and welcome to TE!

I'm 5'3 with a 29 inch inseam and I'm riding a 16 inch WSD. I wouldn't hesitate in taking it back. A good LBS will exchange it with no problems. Let us know how it goes for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Take the bike back and give him heck?
    +1 ( or ask for the manager)
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

I am 5'6 1/2" and slightly over of a 30" inseam and I am on a Mens Medium size Giant MTB. According to the Giant website that is a size 18" . I don't feel that is too big for me..I can reach the floor with no problem with the saddle at the normal height like it is in the picture. The guy offer me to cut the seat post if anything but I feel just fine with it like it is. My torso is pretty equal in length with my legs so maybe thats why. I don't know much about this but In your case it looks like def your reach to the handlebar is the problem and they should have put you on a smaller bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GiantRevel12012.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	15356  
    Last edited by Giulianna23; 09-17-2012 at 05:24 AM.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

I'm 5'7" with a 30-31" inseam. I ride a 15" mountain bike with an extended seatpost. After having a professional bike fit I was told I was just on the line between a 15" and 17.5". After doing ALOT of test riding I bought the smaller frame. I felt like I could really toss around the 15" bike while the medium frame felt bulky. I am very surprised he didn't have you try a smaller frame. That is so bad!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Please keep us posted on what happens. I agree that bike is to big .
    My husband just bought a small size frame (he is 5'5") this after riding a Med. frame for 3 years,the fit is amazing and he rides so much better now.
    Do not take NO for a answer , you need check out a smaller bike.

Alright, so I went to a bike store today...not the one where I bought the bike, but the one I pass on my way home from work. I wanted to see what size bike they would get me to try. It started out pretty well--after asking me how tall I was the guy said, "So we''ll be looking for a 15" frame..." He thought I looked "cramped" (the seat was too low) so he got me to try a 17"...and he thought it seemed a better fit! But here's the best part: when I expressed my concern that the standover room was limited and the bar was perhaps too close to my crotch, he tells me that that doesn't matter, I just have to feel good on the bike!

I put up the seat on the 15" and rode it a bit in the parking lot. After getting used to the upright feel, I can really identify with what Limewave says...the 15" is more maneuverable while the 17" seems bulky in comparison...

I asked the bike store guy what the drawbacks were about having a bike that was too big or too small: his answer was sore back for too big (don't want that) or "easily tired" for too small (sounds okay to me!) Would you agree?

Thanks again everyone. I'll call the bike shop where I bought my 17.5" tomorrow...

Either way, too big or too small, there are going to be different kinds of discomfort and handling issues.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2