Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am 5'2" with a 28.5" inseam so a bit smaller than you. Still, the two MTBs I have owned that fit me wonderfully were a 12" Novara Bonita (XS WSD) and an XS Titus Racer X (not sure what the inch measurement was, just the size). I definitely think it sounds like your bike is too large a frame for you. Another nice thing about riding a smaller size is that the bike will be just a little bit lighter.

Good luck with the LBS -- they were irresponsible selling you that bike, I think. My DH is 5'10" and only rides a 19", by the way!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Giulianna, that's so odd, because the women's medium MTBs from Giant are listed as being 20inch.
    OP, I'm taller than you and am somewhere between sizes. The one shop I went to, the guy hesitated to try me on anything smaller than the 17.5 inch because he thought I'd feel cramped. I'd probably be on a small unisex 29er, maybe a medium WSD depending on how the sizing goes.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by need_help View Post
    his answer was sore back for too big (don't want that) or "easily tired" for too small (sounds okay to me!) Would you agree?
    You could end up with a sore back on a too-small bike, too. That's what I'm on right now and I definitely feel it in my mid-to-lower back. I also feel less stable, since my center of gravity is forced higher with my head and shoulders more upright. I feel at greater risk of tipping and endo.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I still find it hard to believe you'd need anything bigger than a 15 inch bike. If you feel a bit cramped in the cockpit, then I'd consider lengthening the stem before going up a bike size. It's also important that you correctly set not just seat height, but the saddle's fore/aft position before concluding that a bike is too small.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Called the bike shop today. They are willing to take it back. They have only 1 or 2 15" bikes in the store at the moment so maybe that is why they were pushing the bigger bike. The 2012 model I bought can't be ordered and the 2013 model only comes with 29" wheels...so my next question is: pros and cons 26" vs 29" ???
    Can't wait 'till this is over and I finally have a bike to ride!

Called the bike shop today. They are willing to take it back. They have only 1 or 2 15" bikes in the store at the moment so maybe that is why they were pushing the bigger bike. The 2012 model I bought can't be ordered and the 2013 model only comes with 29" wheels...so my next question is: pros and cons 26" vs 29" ???
    It's never over....it's an addiction and the purchase of one bike leads to another.... I have a hybrid commuter bike and then also in the MTB, both a 26 inch and a 29er - I find the 29er easier to climb when on trails, and easier to get over obstacles there -- rocks, tree roots etc. Depending on the trail, I will choose one or the other. I know that my 26in does certain switchbacks on a trail better and the 29er does others better.

I'm in the shopping phase, and everyone I talked to said "29er!" when I asked about what a beginner should use. The bigger wheel rolls over obstacles better, and they climb better and roll faster. In addition, they (coworker at the shop I work at, and the guy at another shop I went to) said that if you want to ride it on pavement, it'll do that better than the 26" wheels. (I've considered it for snowy bike trails!)The downside is that the bigger wheels don't corner as well. I should point out that I'm tall enough that standover isn't an issue.

I'm glad the shop was willing to take it back!
    Last edited by Owlie; 09-18-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I'm not much taller than you are, need_help, and I'm getting a 29er. I'm really a noob, too. Once I knew I wanted a bike to stick with it was a matter of picking one. I asked around and probably 3/4 of the recommendations I was given were in favor of 29ers. And pretty much everyone I ride with is on the bigger wheels, so that was a factor, as well.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

The end of the story?

While there was no problem on the phone, once I got to the bike store, as the bike "was not in perfect shape", they won't take it back. They propose that I sell it myself and then they'll give me a deal on a smaller bike...

What, exactly, wasn't perfect about the bike? How long have you had it and how many miles has it been ridden? I'd be tempted to dispute this with the credit card company if that's how you paid for the bike.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

The end of the story?

While there was no problem on the phone, once I got to the bike store, as the bike "was not in perfect shape", they won't take it back. They propose that I sell it myself and then they'll give me a deal on a smaller bike...
    Oh, that is so much crap! Definitely contact Specialized. If you do have to sell it yourself I propose that you never give that shop another red dime! Unreal. I'm sorry you've had to deal with that.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Great suggestion, Muirenn. I hadn't even thought of calling Specialized. I would definitely do that.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I'm 5'4 and have a 15 1/2 Gary Fisher HKEK. Seems like a good fit but I don't ride it very much :/
    2005? Storck Senario cd 1.0 with SRAM Force, Specialized Romin Comp Gel 155 saddle
    1998 Lemond Tourmalet
    2007 Gary Fisher HKEK

What size mountain bike should you have if you are 5"3 with a 29.5 inch inseam?

Is it scratched?

If not, things like tires and grips can be replaced with exact new ones for a lot cheaper to put it back in new condition. If you fell and scratched it, well... I can see their point. My suggestion is to rent first, when possible. Spend a day or a weekend on it. If unsure, rent it again, till you are.

I've bought many bikes that were too big. Each one I've sold on Craigslist for a little less than I paid until I figured out what I needed in bike geometry.

I agree that stand over is not the best indicator of MTB sizing. Reach is the important one. Proper reach while the saddle is in proper relation to the cranks for power output.