Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bikedirects.com???

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi there,
    I saw several people on here get there bikes on ebay. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about bikesdirect.com? I saw that they sell many bikes my LBS does but for a fraction of the price. Do you think its's better to just get one from my LBS or ok to get one online? Any opinions? I am new to all of this.
    Thank you for your time and responses.

I would not buy a bike online. My experience has been that you must test ride the bike. There are too many variables on fit. For me a poor fit is not worth the savings.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I would only purchase a bike online if I knew it was exactly what I wanted- that I had researched and test ridden it.
    There are benefits/savings you could make at by purchasing at a LBS- like a free servicing package, or discounts on additional items. I would go to some LBS and ASK for their best deal and take that into consideration.

And sometimes people would HAVE to purchase online. For example if we wanted a Satana or Co-Motion tandem for us here in Australia we would have to order it online. But then I would be getting a custom fitted frame. There is no Australian stores with these two brands. Also we are experienced tandem riders so we know what we want.
    Last edited by Kiwi Stoker; 09-14-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Sounds good to me. I am going to the LBS with my friend tomorrow who has been riding for many years and does about 100 miles a week. I'm hoping we can find a good deal. I'm just trying to save some money at the same time.

I know several posters in another forum that I frequent who have had good experiences with bikes direct. BUT, they are all experienced cyclists who know exactly what they are looking for and are mechanically inclined. As others have mentioned, if you are new to biking, there is a huge benefit by going to an LBS and having them help you out. My LBS is expensive but the guidance they have given me is invaluable. I know you mentioned saving money,but you may end up spending even MORE money if you end up buying a bike that is not right for you online than if you got a store and have someone properly fit you and steer you towards a bike that will fit your biking needs.

Let us know how things work out for you. Some LBS do lifetime tuneups, so buying at your favorite LBS, might save you money in the long run

2012 Specialized Amira Elite, upgraded carbon handle bars, Jett saddle 143mm switched to 145mm 2012 Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow saddle

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

Thank you all. I certainly believe you are all correct about getting my first "big" bike from a LBS. My friend was unable to go with me but hopefully next weekend we can go look. I really appreciate your time in answering my questions.

I bought my daughter an upright bike from bikesdirect to take to college. I was impressed with the bike quality for the price. It arrives in a box not quite assembled and I have read stories of some very bad partial assembly jobs that bikesdirect sent out. I would not rule them out as a source for a bicycle if you are looking to save some money, but I would add at least $100 to the price of the bike so that you can take it to your LBS and have them assemble it and fit it to you.