Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Viamin D Deficiency

To disable ads, please log-in.

You would never think that living in Arizona, that vitamin D deficiency would be a problem. Wrong! It affects a lot of people here. If you google the latest research, there is evidence that it helps with colds and folks who are susceptible to pneumonia.

As have been sick on and off since February, my doc took blood levels and sure enough, very little D. I am on 150,000 IUs for the next 7 days. This research article was just released out of the UK:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0903154008.htm

Read further, and there is some thought that it can help folks who are susceptible to pneumonia. I read another article where they know believe that up to 40,000 IUs a day is safe.

It can't hurt me so I am giving it a try, and then I am supposed to get blood levels drawn again. I will let you know how it goes!
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

Another update. After seven days on the high dose, I am now taking 10,000IUs a day. Last week I hiked 47 miles in Lake Tahoe. I have not felt this good in six months. I plan to get blood levels taken, and I have to say, I am a believer.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Itself, only take the amount as directed by your doctor.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I've also been diagnosed with low D (and like you, in an area where sunshine isn't a problem!). Just had my blood drawn last week to see where it was, and I suspect it's low, given how exhausted I've been lately. I was only on a weekly dose of 50,000 IU, though.

But yes, it can cause a whole mess o' problems! Glad you're feeling better!

so do you guys use sunscreen or what?
    i am a big believer in sunshine (no sunscreen needed here) and Vit D too.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    so do you guys use sunscreen or what?
    i am a big believer in sunshine (no sunscreen needed here) and Vit D too.
    Only when I'm going to be out for more than 30 minutes or so, and even then, usually only when it's during the high sun hours (between 10 and 3ish). But the rub is that I'm also very fair skinned, and might as well be a poster child for the risk factors of melanoma. So I have to balance the two.

That said, I should get enough D from being out when I am. So to be low is surprising.

Yes, my dose of vitamin D has all been directed by my doctor. In Arizona, you have to wear sunscreen. The sun is so intense that you will cause a lot of damage and aging to the skin without it.

I also read that the Vitamin D from the sun is not healthy anymore due to the UV. One article I read said that a tanning bed is a healthier way to get Vitamin D!!
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1

Evidence based medicine. I have had the start of cold and coughs about six times this year. I take 150,000 units of Vitamin D for a couple of days, and I am all better! I am a believer. It's been under the supervision of my NP. I take 50,000 units once every 21 days as a maintenance dose. This has worked in light of the fact that it has been one of the worst flu seasons here in AZ.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1

what is frustrating about Vit D is that i have to take WAY more than is reasonable and i don't absorb it well.
    I had been taking 5000 units daily for almost 3 years and was low this winter. so now I'm taking prescription doses as well.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi