Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

you guys have to read this blog post about buying a bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2012/0...-shopping.html

(its tongue in cheek)
    So I Went Automobile Shopping...

So I went automobile shopping the other day... I know, I know, you're probably thinking “Why would you do such a silly thing as that, a man of your age..” but hear me out. Automobiles are becoming quite popular, I'm sure you've seen them around. I understand in places like Portland they're actually more popular than bicycles. There are all those public service advertisements about sharing the road and it got me to thinking that maybe I should get one of those automobile things that all the hipsters are “driving” these days.

So I cycled over to one of my local “car” dealerships to see about purchasing an automobile and what I found was quite enlightening. When I first entered the shop a young fellow there was vigorously engaged in conversation with a customer about the merits of one particular transmission brand over another, something about how the latest electronic syncromesh whosits made last year's syncromesh hopelessly obsolete and how he couldn't believe anyone would still considering driving such junk. This discussion went on for quite a few minutes so I kept myself busy by examining the various automobiles displayed in the shop. They were shiny and looked expensive and frankly I had no idea exactly made one better than the other or why I might want to select the red one over the blue one. Eventually the car fellow noticed me and asked if I had any questions. “Oh yes,” I assured him I had plenty of questions. “I'm looking to buy a car,” I began.

read the whole thing here:

http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2012/0...-shopping.html
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

That's wonderful!
    Beth

Love it! Thanks for sharing, Mimi. Super funny, ironic, and well-written.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

That's funny! Classic.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

That's fantastic.

Of course now I want driving pants!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Love it, yes and custom gas pedal. was a great analogy
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    That is hilarious!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Hilarious, and so often true. I was told by a guy at an LBS that, "...when a customer comes in and wants a bike but says he's not into racing, I can just tell. He's not serious." REALLY???!!!
    She's going the distance...

[COLOR="Red"]
    '14 Orbea Orca Dama, Specialized Jett
    '10 Giant Avail
    '87 Schwinn Cimarron, Brooks B17
    Trek mountain bike...don't know what year

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by buffybike View Post
    Hilarious, and so often true. I was told by a guy at an LBS that, "...when a customer comes in and wants a bike but says he's not into racing, I can just tell. He's not serious." REALLY???!!!
    That is really obnoxious. How is someone who uses their bike for transportation not "serious"? And there's nothing wrong with just riding for recreation either. If I heard that in a shop, I would take my business elsewhere in a hurry.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

actually I think there may be more options for custom gas pedals than there are clipless pedal systems.... http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...FQJx4AodX2YAcg
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Meh. All it says is that people don't do their homework before they go bike shopping. Part of it is the cultural bias toward cars - every one of us knows from childhood that you don't go to a Ferrari dealership looking for a utility truck - but part of it is just consumer laziness IMO. You can't expect a bike shop to be Super Walmart and carry everything from jicama to jewelry, and you can't expect the employees of either one to know about everything in the world. If people put a tenth of the effort into buying a bike before they ever set foot in a shop, that they do buying a car, no one would even understand what this piece is talking about. So people go into racing-oriented bike shops and are offended when the employees don't understand people who don't race. Whose fault is that really? Have you ever heard of a bike racer going into the shop that sells the beach cruisers and utility trikes, and being offended when the employees want to sell them a grocery getter?
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 09-14-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Purrty funny me think.

I like the saved by the credit card part.