Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

You do have to eat them hot off the griddle. When I make them we usually keep the oven on warm and I stack them in there until they're ready to eat. When we're camping we keep them near the campfire. I've gotten good at making really fluffy pancakes. I don't usually eat them with the kids. But when we go camping, well, I figure a pancake now and then won't hurt ;-) The peaches and the whole wheat ginger cakes sound yummy!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

I put fresh fruit and nuts on my pancakes. I hate syrup! I hardly ever have them, though. My waffle maker has taken over.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Now I want both pancakes AND waffles.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    I don't make pancakes. But he's pro at making crepes. Probably at least once a month he makes them. He's got his 30 yr. old technique refined and solid. And makes lovely thin crepes quickly. Often we freeze a batch.
    I make MEAN crepes...I don't really use a recipe, just know sort of rough quantities of butter, eggs, flour, and milk to use.

But that Meijer pancake mix sounds great. I have yet to find a Meijer Naturals or Gold product that I didn't LOVE!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I'm sure your crepes are great, zoom-zoom.

Dearie doesn't really have a recipe either. He has rough proportional quantities of the same ingredients --except he might add nutmeg or cinnamon. Not always. His lst crepe is always like a "test" or "eat-throwaway" because it's to help "proof" the pan. We don't use a teflon nor iron cast pan which is why I admire his skill because the crepes are thin, even and aren't burnt.

He usually makes at minimum 8-10 crepes in 1 batch or more. This summer I'm glad during her rare visit (since I live thousands kms. far from my family), a sister and her family with 3 children had his creative-on-the-fly crepes with homemade blackberry-blueberry-raspberry-rhubarb compote. Homemade compote is handy because one doesn't need to pour on syrup...with all the wonderful natural juices. The children loved it ..even with such a complicated sounding compote.

I really should learn some crepe stuff from him. We each have our specialty cooking/baking (he does more baking than I do) strengths.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 09-11-2012 at 07:04 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Have my pancake mix made in a big batch and stored. my partner likes it with blueberries, and banana. At other times, we might add raspberries. Thinking of making buckwheat pancake mix one of these days.

Pancake, always with real maple syrup.

I also make savory pancake for supper. Zucchini pancake with tomato salsa or mango salsa. Tonight it was with tomato salsa.

Zucchini pancake:
    1 whole egg
    1 egg white
    2TBS goat cheese
    2TBS oil (canola or safflower... but not olive)

1-1/2 cup shredded zucchini (ring out excess liquid) use cheese grater works great.

1/2cup flour
    1 tsp baking powder

method mix all wet ingredients together with exception of shredded zucchini. once the mixture is well mixed add zucchini and incorporate. Then add flour and the baking powder and mix again. Do not overmix.

Heat cast iron skillet. coat it with butter, drop mixture and spread it into a pancake. cook till bubbles start to form then flip over. Cook till done. Serve with salsa.

Mango salsa:
    dice up the fruit of one ripe mango. add lemon juice suit to taste, add minced red onion one or two table spoon or just leave it out. Let it marinate together for about an hour. Also very good on chicken or steamed/braised/roasted fish.

I picked up the recent Runner's World mag at the store. When I got home and did a quick read it has a whole section on different pancakes to make. I think Allen Lim and real food for recovery and general exercise is coming back. There are so many different recipies in this mag, it's like a pancake cookbook. I think I'm going to add it to my cooking mag pile.

Just an FYI for those that might be interested. Happy eating by the way.

Red Rock

Now I'm going to have to try Martha Stewart's pumpkin pancake recipe tomorrow morning...with bacon.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

I've started making my pancakes a little different: I use half pancake mix and half: almond flour, flaxseed meal, and wheat germ. It has the same consistency, texture, and taste as a traditional pancake. No one in the family has noticed a difference, I keep my mouth shut and smile knowing that I'm giving them a bit healthier option for breakfast
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    I've started making my pancakes a little different: I use half pancake mix and half: almond flour, flaxseed meal, and wheat germ. It has the same consistency, texture, and taste as a traditional pancake. No one in the family has noticed a difference, I keep my mouth shut and smile knowing that I'm giving them a bit healthier option for breakfast
    Sounds yummy. Is the substitution for almond flour 1:1? I'm guessing it gives it kind of a nutty taste. What else do you use it in?
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    How is this different than a latke? Bigger and flatter?

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post

I also make savory pancake for supper. Zucchini pancake with tomato salsa or mango salsa. Tonight it was with tomato salsa.

Zucchini pancake:
    1 whole egg
    1 egg white
    2TBS goat cheese
    2TBS oil (canola or safflower... but not olive)

1-1/2 cup shredded zucchini (ring out excess liquid) use cheese grater works great.

1/2cup flour
    1 tsp baking powder

method mix all wet ingredients together with exception of shredded zucchini. once the mixture is well mixed add zucchini and incorporate. Then add flour and the baking powder and mix again. Do not overmix.

Heat cast iron skillet. coat it with butter, drop mixture and spread it into a pancake. cook till bubbles start to form then flip over. Cook till done. Serve with salsa.

Mango salsa:
    dice up the fruit of one ripe mango. add lemon juice suit to taste, add minced red onion one or two table spoon or just leave it out. Let it marinate together for about an hour. Also very good on chicken or steamed/braised/roasted fish.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I use to love pancakes, still do but I have found out I am gluten intolerant. Any ways one of my fav ways to cook it is by adding a scoop or two of good vanilla protein powder to the mix. The kids ( and I ) love it and it would really stick to the ribs this way.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    How is this different than a latke? Bigger and flatter?
    Oh I guess its the same thing. I've always known it as zucchini pancake.

blueberries in my regular pancake with real maple syrup. None of the fake stuff thank you. I think I need to work on a real buckwheat pancake. Excuse is now the winter is upon us...

Quote Originally Posted by spokewench View Post
    If somone else is cooking them, I like my pancakes on my plate ready and warm to eat! Just being silly.
    Ditto!

Fresh pancakes - just add chunky unsweetened applesause
    Leftover pancakes - toast and sprinkle with powered sugar.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I have a couple of grain-free pancake recipes that I make on occasion, but we don't eat them very often. They just don't have good 'staying' power for me.

That said, if I lived near a Cracker Barrel, I'd be all over a plate of their pecan pancakes topped with real maple syrup. YUM! (thankfully, there are no Cracker Barrel's in my area)
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom