Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Goodbye my friend of 10 years

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday, DH and I let our wonderful 10 1/2 years old Great Dane go the Rainbow Bridge. He was diagnosed with myopathy this summer at which time we started him on numerous vitamins/supplements hoping to slow the progression of the disease. The past few weeks he began to really drag his rear feet and was having great difficultly getting up from a recumbent position. Friday evening I noticed some blood on DH's shoe and after we finished dinner I started to check Gaston's feet/legs for sores and/or fresh blood. It was at this time I discovered his right front leg was grossly swollen. My first thought was bone cancer (I lost my first Dane to this dreaded disease and its showed itself the same way). Needless to say I did not sleep much and Gaston would not settle down - pacing and panting through the night. Early yesterday morning I loaded him up in the car and headed to the clinic where I work part-time hoping to get there before clients started to show for the weekend rush. My best friend is our vet and I knew from the look on her face it was not good. Radiographs were ordered of the front leg and thorax. We gave him an injection of pain meds along with a slug of Rimadyl in hopes of giving him some relief. DH came a bit later to sit with him and to help hoist in on the x-ray table. Leg was clear but there was a spot in his lung and his heart was grossly enlarged. It was with this news we made the decision to let him go. I am a big believer in quality vs quantity of life. Gosh knows Gaston had a super life on this planet. He came to me as a rescue 10 1/2 years ago - covered in open oozing wounds due to an awful case of scabies. He was grossly underweight and knew no manners. He was quite the challenge but over the time we bonded and he became my life long buddy. He mellowed with age accepting other dogs into the fold and producing some great slobbers. He was an imposing dog but in reality a gentle giant who simply wanted to sit in your lap or share the couch with you. The tears have flowed this weekend but in my heart I know we made the best decision for our buddy. He is free of pain, he is healed and he has crossed the Rainbow Bridge to join our buddies - Squire, Hondo, Cumberland, Scooter, Motor, Saw, Bones, Chip, Munk, Phoenix, Margulis, Figaroe, Maxwell, Rex, and Marconi. Go in Peace my friend!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cell phone photos 013.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	15338  
    Marcie

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I'm so sorry that you had to say goodbye (for now) to Gaston. He's been welcomed by all of our fur babies as he enjoys an eternity of running and playing like a puppy again. My heart breaks for you. You served and love him well. Hugs to you and I'm sending you loving wishes of healing in your heart.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

(((Makbike))). I'm so sorry about Gaston. How lucky he was to have found by you and how fortunate that you were able to give him a peaceful ending. You saved him from much pain. Hugs to you.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Hugs to you. A difficult decision, for sure.

Aww I'm so sorry. It sounds like you two had some wonderful times and he was lucky to have you as a mom. Now he can play with all of the rest of our furry ones.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

(((((((Marcie))))))) I'm so sorry.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My condolences for your loss. Gaston sounded like a sweet boy and you were all fortunate to have been able to spend precious time with one another. May he rest in peace.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sounds like you gave him a wonderful life. I hope happy memories bring you peace.

Gaston was a very lucky and loved dearly by his mom and dad. So hard to see them suffer with old age and disease which robs the body of life and vitality. We would love to see our babies live as long as us.

We as the parents of our fur babies and our commitment and love, there comes a time when we must let them cross the Rainbow bridge in dignity and peace. It is never easy. We all need a good cry and remember the good times. Remember the good life we gave them. These are the times when we realize how precious life is. Cherish the memories.

This past year has been very hard on you Gaston, Figaroe... They are watching over you from the rainbow bridge with warm heart and warm thoughts to ease your pain.

Peace be with you,

Smilingcat

hugs to you makbike. It's always difficult, but keep hold of your memories.

What a sweet old boy you had. I have been through this twice in the past year. It never gets any easier. Time is the only thing that heals. Hugs and I hope your family finds peace soon. You were a very good parent to let him go when you did.

So sorry about Gaston. He had a wonderful life with you

I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to Gaston, he was so fortunate to have someone who cared so much for him.

I am so sorry about Gaston.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby