Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Getting back to riding after an illness

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everybody! Unfortunately, I haven't ridden my bike much at all this year. In March I had shingles, which zapped my energy and I'm having trouble getting it back. I just want to come home from work and go to bed. My doctor says this is normal, just give it time. The weather in Kentucky has cooled off after a very hot summer so I can no longer use the excuse, "It's too hot." Yesterday I pulled myself up off the couch and got in an 11 mile ride. Getting started (like deciding to go riding) took alot of will power, but once I got started it was great! Today I got in a 14 mile ride. I'm looking forward to doing a 100 mile ride as soon as I feel strong enough. I could use some words of encouragement to get back into a regular routine of riding. A few years ago I rode a total of 2000 miles. So far this year I've only ridden 73, so I really feel like a whimp lately!

I'll join you. I got cleared to ride short and flat a couple of weeks ago. Ask me how much I like driving 15 miles one way to the nearest bike path so I can ride five! Just hoping I'll be able to do hills again sooner than later ... Good grief I am out of shape.

Welcome back.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Don't feel like a wimp and only do what you can! Do not push it and realize your body needs to rest and recover still.

Take it from me, who did not listen to people's advice last year and tried to push through while suffer through illness.

Take every little thing and enjoy it go ride slow, look around at the scenery, take in sights you might of passed hundreds of times but never noticed.

Also maybe think of adding in a form of cross training?(yoga was a huge help for me, even if it was sometimes just a yin class)

But on a positive note, I dealt with Lyme and Rocky Mounted Spotted Fever just a little over 2 years ago(june 2010 I contracted them) and it took me until nov 2011 to be able to start feeling great. I would feel good, then work out to hard and end up being really sick(went through EBV and a few other side issues due to me not just taking it easy). I am now almost as strong as I was before I got sick and definitely take more enjoyment out of being able to do the activities I do, because I realized how lucky I am to be able to do them.

Welcome back and take it slow, no need to take 2 steps forward to take 3 backwards. Just enjoy the little you are able to do and realize that up until now you couldn't even do that! And time will go by quickly and soon enough you will be back to doing 100 mile rides

I second taking up another cross training activity AND listening to your body. When I was sick 5 years ago, I started doing a lot more yoga, which continued, even after I was riding a lot. I also tried swimming, which I hated, but, the point is, I tried.
    I have found that short rides, with a purpose often help get me back on track. I spent most of one season and a good part of another riding my hybrid to local farm stands and stores to do errands, as I was building up again. So much so, that later in the second year, I met up with someone to go x country skiing; she brought another friend with her, who recognized me from riding around town, down to even being able to describe my bike and jacket. She asked me if I was car fee.
    I got back to where I was by focusing on building up slowly. Eventually, I surpassed my yearly mileage 2 years in a row. I probably won't be able to do that this year, but I think my experience of having to slow down taught me not to worry so much about these things. My average speed and how far I ride don't matter so much any more.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I hope you're back to "normal" soon too. Getting out and riding again is actually making me feel stronger! I had really gotten out of shape too. I got in another 10 mile ride today. Feeling stronger everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I'll join you. I got cleared to ride short and flat a couple of weeks ago. Ask me how much I like driving 15 miles one way to the nearest bike path so I can ride five! Just hoping I'll be able to do hills again sooner than later ... Good grief I am out of shape.

Welcome back.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ehirsch83 View Post
    Don't feel like a wimp and only do what you can! Do not push it and realize your body needs to rest and recover still.

Take it from me, who did not listen to people's advice last year and tried to push through while suffer through illness.

Take every little thing and enjoy it go ride slow, look around at the scenery, take in sights you might of passed hundreds of times but never noticed.

Also maybe think of adding in a form of cross training?(yoga was a huge help for me, even if it was sometimes just a yin class)

But on a positive note, I dealt with Lyme and Rocky Mounted Spotted Fever just a little over 2 years ago(june 2010 I contracted them) and it took me until nov 2011 to be able to start feeling great. I would feel good, then work out to hard and end up being really sick(went through EBV and a few other side issues due to me not just taking it easy). I am now almost as strong as I was before I got sick and definitely take more enjoyment out of being able to do the activities I do, because I realized how lucky I am to be able to do them.

Welcome back and take it slow, no need to take 2 steps forward to take 3 backwards. Just enjoy the little you are able to do and realize that up until now you couldn't even do that! And time will go by quickly and soon enough you will be back to doing 100 mile rides
    Wow, I know that Lyme and Rocky Mounted Spotted Fever can really take it out of you. I'm glad you're feeling better!

Just getting back out on my bike and enjoying the scenery (I like to ride by a lake.) has been a big boost for me. I love seeing the ducks and herons! People are very friendly and even people I don't know wave to me. Several people that I usually see by the lake have said they miss seeing me riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I second taking up another cross training activity AND listening to your body. When I was sick 5 years ago, I started doing a lot more yoga, which continued, even after I was riding a lot. I also tried swimming, which I hated, but, the point is, I tried.
    I have found that short rides, with a purpose often help get me back on track. I spent most of one season and a good part of another riding my hybrid to local farm stands and stores to do errands, as I was building up again. So much so, that later in the second year, I met up with someone to go x country skiing; she brought another friend with her, who recognized me from riding around town, down to even being able to describe my bike and jacket. She asked me if I was car fee.
    I got back to where I was by focusing on building up slowly. Eventually, I surpassed my yearly mileage 2 years in a row. I probably won't be able to do that this year, but I think my experience of having to slow down taught me not to worry so much about these things. My average speed and how far I ride don't matter so much any more.

Just getting back out on my bike and enjoying the scenery (I like to ride by a lake.) has been a big boost for me. I love seeing the ducks and herons! People are very friendly and even people I don't know wave to me. Several people that I usually see by the lake have said they miss seeing me riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post

Congratulations Lake Rider! Have fun and don't rush it - speaking from experience here as I seem to have spent as much time off the bike due to injuries as on over the last couple of years - mainly because I didn't follow my own advice. How wonderful that you are coming back as the season starts to change and you will be able to enjoy the cooler air and chase crunchy leaves

Yes, it is fun to ride through crunchy leaves!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Congratulations Lake Rider! Have fun and don't rush it - speaking from experience here as I seem to have spent as much time off the bike due to injuries as on over the last couple of years - mainly because I didn't follow my own advice. How wonderful that you are coming back as the season starts to change and you will be able to enjoy the cooler air and chase crunchy leaves