Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hydration packs

To disable ads, please log-in.

Originally posted by DoubleLori
    I will be getting a recumbent soon, so I was wondering how that worked with a Camelbak. Do any of the recumbents have Camelbak pockets built into the seat? I drink a lot of water, sometimes 3-4 Camelbaksful on long rides like centuries. I've got 4 Camelbaks and a couple of extra bladders so I'm set if I can just find somewhere to put the bladder(s).
    You might consider asking the folks at http://www.hostelshoppe.com. They sell lots 'o recumbents and accessories including seat bags that hang off the back of your seat. They're very friendly and knowledgeable - likely would know what would work with the 'bent that you ordered. I got a seat bag for my Lightning Phantom recumbent and just stuff my Camelbak bladder into it. I use a badge clip to help route the tube over the seat and my shoulder. Works great.

-j

Camelbacks...the Siren

Don't get this one. The mechanism for filling is very annoying, you have to almost lay it flat and they have a huge mouth on the opening so it leaks out when you close it after filling. HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED

I will end up going back to my old Camelback which is about 5-6 years old but it's better than the new designs that are supposedly supposed to be for road bikers!
    Ride like a girl.

Renee

Love it! I got a pair of Hydrapak Trackers for $19.98 at PricePoint. That is for BOTH of them, not each! Couldn't pass up that deal. 70 oz, and the bladder opens up all the way across the top so you can turn it inside out for cleaning. REALLY love that feature!

anyhow I hemmed and hawed about getting it for a while, but I really do love it more than bottles. I do drink more often because I don't have to look down, grab bottle and drink, and fight with it to get it back into the cage. It's got removable sternum straps, a key clip, a velcro-closing pocket and the little stretchy thingys on the back to stow stuff too. I dig it.

Jessie

recumbent bikes with hydration

I know this response is a little late- i am getting an '03 Rans Tailwind and one of the improvements for this model year is a built in pocket in the seat- also- there are bags specifically made for bents that slip over the back of the seat and have a pocket for a hydration pack like the camelback- unbottle- which is very easy to fill and clean. they also make longer tubes so that is not a problem. if you want more info about anything and everything to do with bents you can check out www.bentrideronline.com- they have mesage boards also and all kinds of reviews on bikes and all accessories. hope this helps- i can't wait to get some miles in on my tailwind.

jhm45-

Smile Camelbak on recumbent

I have been able to attach my old original Camelbak holder (c.1996) that has clips built into the straps (more recent models don't seem to have this feature anymore) directly to the seatback frame of my recumbent (Sun EZ1-SC-Lite). I also got the underseat pannier rack option, so I can stash extra Camelbak bladders in the panniers on really hot days and the center of gravity will be very low and stable. This is working well. I don't notice any instability with the Camelbak there on the seatback. I really don't notice it being there except for having easy water on tap of course!

Question Camelbak LOBO style

Has anyone used this model? It carries a 2L (70oz.) bladder.
    It appears to be big enough to hold small gear, but I'm afraid I'll want to pack more on some rides (longer ones) and feel like the pack part is too small to hold it all.

Suggestions? Should I just buy it and hope it works out???

(I originally fell in love with the Camelbak MULE, but rethought about it as it carries a 3L bladder, and after thinking about that, realized that was a bit too much water to carry around.)

if you are concerned about capacity for "stuff" why not just head to the store with all your stuff and see how it packs up. Or, if it's mail order, order it, see if it works and if not just send it back...?

Irulan

FWIW I have a really old Janddt hydration pack, haven't a clue as to it's gear capacity, I just stuff it full and go ride...
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

My sweetie surprised me with a water bladder back pack by "Next" and I tried it out for the first time on a 30 mile ride this weekend. I liked it -- hardly noticed it was there once I got used to having it on. It holds 70oz and it was easy to reach over & take a sip (I'm on a road bike). I thought it was cooling to have up against my back -- it felt good.

Camelbak Mule

I just purchased the Camelbak "Mule" off EBAY.
    Hope to receive it soon, maybe next week.

Will give my critique after I use it a while... I can't wait!

Camelbaks on recumbents

I've seen it recommended to attach modern Camelbaks (without the separatable straps) to recumbent seat back with carabiners, though certainly a few carabiners would add some weight, and would probably rattle unless they were taped (even more weight), so I haven't tried this.

maybe try the lightweight mini carabienrs like they sell at REI for key rings and non climbing use...?

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I've got some REI mini 'biners but they are too small to fit around my seat frame.

it seems that many roadies don't want to use hydration packs but i love mine. i have two and both camelbak. for short rides i use the small one that just holds fluid and has a cord to hold a windbraker or something and my second one is a full fledged one with a big pocket to hold a tube and my tool kit for those long rides in the middle of no where.

i hope this helps. oh, i found that www.performancebike.com has the best deals on gear like this.

christine

Re: Camelbacks...the Siren

Originally posted by VenusdeVelo
    Don't get this one. The mechanism for filling is very annoying, you have to almost lay it flat and they have a huge mouth on the opening so it leaks out when you close it after filling. HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED

I will end up going back to my old Camelback which is about 5-6 years old but it's better than the new designs that are supposedly supposed to be for road bikers!
    I just bought a Siren, and LOVE IT! The resevoir is rather small (1.5L) but it's great for short day rides! You just have to grab the black handle, fill it and keep holding the handle as you close it up. I have had NO PROBLEM with mine!

Give it a try if you haven't already!

Jessica

Sorry to bring up an old thread but wanted to get the current opinion on Camelbacks and what model you use. I'm looking for something small that I can use on the bike, hiking, and walking. The HydroBak model looks good from the pics.
    "He's really having to dig deeply into the suitcase of courage" Phil Liggett