Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is it Fall yet? Sept. running...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Day off, slept in til 7 so my run started late....it's still hot, sunny and humid (although a tad less humid for Florida standards). Ran 5. Tried to do a progressive run and work on upping my speed. But at mile 3 had to take a walk break as I was too hot, so ran easy til mile 4 and then tried to finish "fast". Overall OK run. I can't wait for cooler mornings! I dream of 60 degrees!!

K
    katluvr

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I'm giving up running until it cools down some. 102 today, 103 tomorrow, 106 Friday. Geez....
    Thankfully, it's supposed to be in the 80's this weekend. I have a trail marathon on Saturday- this cold front they promised BETTER come rolling in!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Welp, tomorrow is the Ragnar Relay, so I'm trying to pack. The temps are all over the place - it COULD be 45 or so for my night leg, which is right on my capris-or-shorts border. Hmm.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Looks like fall will get here sometime Sat. morning-- low tonight predicted at about 67F, high tomorrow of 75F. So looking forward to the cool weather next week!

I'm planning on doing a 5k Saturday morning, but not if there are thunderstorms. Or if I end up drinking enough at a party tonight to feel the effects in the morning. One race with a hangover was one too many...

Cool where I am. It is 61 right now at a bit after noon. The low tonight is 36. I have an organized ride tomorrow, starting at 7:00am. It looks like I'll be wearing wool and tights.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

9 gross sweaty , humid, miles this morning. Not pretty, but done.

Did the Do-Wacka-Do trail race today. I TOTALLY underestimated the hills out there. I didn't know you could criss-cross a canyon that many times. Up, down, up, down and then some. Eek!! It kicked my butt, but I loved every minute of it!!! 16 miles in 4 hours. Not speedy, but considering it was far more than I had bargained for, I'm pleased. I was signed up for the 50K, but dropped down to the 25K as soon as I got to the race site and saw what the course looked like.
    I was dead last for the first 8 miles, then slowly passed 4 people to finish NOT dead last. 2 of those 4 later DNF'd, but whatevs. I'm slow, but I'm steady- just like the tortoise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0222.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	15328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	620884_4558675215002_1067309477_o.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	15329  
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 09-09-2012 at 06:39 AM.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Tri, that sounds about like how that Vail half felt for me. I was pretty happy to finish - to heck with the time!

Ragnar relay is done! I think our team finished about 2:15 ahead of schedule but we have no idea of the overall results (except that we didn't come anywhere near winning). My legs totaled 20.1 miles (officially - my second leg felt like a kindergartener had scribbled a trail in the midst of some neighborhood, and since it was midnight and pitch black I have no idea how far I really ran. It felt longer than the official measured distance though). I ran the first one really well (8.8 miles), second one was quick enough except for the whole running-in-circles feeling (4.6 miles), and the third one I was happy to finish (6.7 miles). All had a net uphill. The last one I really wanted to walk at one point, and then this cat was waiting beside the trail so I stopped for about 10 seconds to pet him and decided no walk breaks after that! I'm totally wiped out and can't wait for a shower and bed.

Well, I guess our relay team did better than expected - 11th out of 97 coed teams! And only about 10 minutes out of 5th place. Had they given one of the faster folks my legs (the longest distance) instead, we would've rocked it! (and had the last runner not gotten lost due to a poorly marked trail, but that's another story).

I feel surprisingly not awful after that and a lot better about my upcoming marathon. My legs don't hurt at all.

Wow, what inspiring racing this weekend!

My biggest running challenge of late was trying to figure out what to wear today. It was all of 52F when I finished up! Went with shorts and a lightweight long-sleeved shirt, and that worked pretty well. A pretty quick 7 miles, starting out under beautiful stars and ending with a great sunrise. I love fall!!!

Congrats to your team, Jess!!! That's fantastic!! I don't know that I would love running at night (the kindergartener scribbling a trail made me laugh). You did GREAT!!! 11 of 97 is really something to be proud of! When is your marathon again?

SKhill- 52 degrees sounds SO heavenly right now! I can't wait for it to cool down just a wee bit more!

So I'm going to the DFW area this weekend to see my sister who's there on business this week. I haven't seen her in about 5 years. I thought "while I'm down there, I might as well see if there's a race somewhere close." So I signed up for a really tough trail half marathon on Saturday. It will be hard, but I'm stoked! Haven't raced back to back weekends in a long time. Woot!! Bring on da hurt, bring on da pain!
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 09-11-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

So has it been 6 days since I last ran? I did have to work (including the weekend) but that's not really an excuse, been very much in a funk and tired (more tired than normal). Yesterday I was off and slept in (til 8!), then did miscellaneous stuff but no exercise. I even enjoyed what more daytime TV than I have every watched! Good news: I ran today. 4 miles with 8 X 1 min intervals. Have not looked at my stats on my garmin yet. Not sure I care. Continues to be a "tad" bit cooler and less humid. Still very warm. I'm hopeful for an early fall for Florida!

K
    katluvr

Can't wait to hear how the race went, Tri Girl!

Ran 5 last night, I felt really sluggish but after checking the time I was apparently running an 8:30 pace. I can't do that - or at least, I haven't been able to in years! Tempted to sign up for a 10K now just to see how I do

I'm trying to keep up one run a week... Today I learnt not to start listening to my set running music track too early. Started listening on the metro to get in the mood for running. Started running on song 2 instead of 1, which meant that 45 minutes later I got the next to last sprint-my-heart-out song instead of the last cool-down song on the final stretch to work, and being a good habitdriven girl, I so did. Could scarcely walk up the steps to the door, and the guard looked suspiciously at me as I bipped my id card in, wheezing like I was dying. ;-)
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

So ... I'm still running little bits. After all summer in a funk of junk miles, I managed to finally kick it through my stupid head that I can be doing form work no matter the distance or pace. Been doing that the last month or so, feel like I'm making some progress.

I actually went not quite 7 miles today ... farthest I've run since the marathon in April and then my peripheral nerves falling apart. Still don't dare try to carry water, but I'm even thinking about just trying a water pack empty to see how it does.

And, my knees are much happier now that it's cooler and the air quality is better and I can put off my runs until later in the day. Form work is helping with my knees too, obviously.

I see the doctor again next Tuesday. I'm still thinking about putting in my application for Boston on Monday when I'm eligible, and NOT asking the doctor whether he thinks I'll be healthy enough to train. I don't want to hear it if he says no...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler