Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye Allergy

Eye Allergy

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am having a terrible eye allergy issue. My eyelids are bright red and swollen. The redness is starting to move to my lower eyelid as well. My eye doctor recommended allergen pillowcases, mattress coverings, etc as well as prescription eye drops. I've done all of that and it has not helped at all. The next step is steroids. UGH!

I do now want steroid shots! Seems like there should be some other course of action. Ideas anyone???

It would be nice to get this nipped in the bud. I'd like to stop looking like a deranged, diseased, eye-puss face.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

First, what else comes near your eyes? Soap, facial cleanser, lotion? Any cosmetics? Possibly even hair products, if your hair comes close enough to your eyes?

Second, is the redness inside your eyelids or outside (on the skin)?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

It is just on the outside of my eyelid--only affects the skin. My actual eye is not effected.

I haven't worn makeup since Spring when the allergy really started to take effect. Initially I thought it was from my sweat (pollen getting in my sweat then dripping in my eyes or something like that) but over the last few weeks I've noticed my eyelids are most swollen first thing in the morning.

I have switched shampoos/conditioners over the summer and switching did not seem to have any change on my symptoms. But it is possible . . .

I had also switched to daily contacts last spring. I thought that might be it so I switched back to the contacts and brand I was using previously a few weeks ago--but, again, no change :-(

No perfumes, no lotions.

Sweat dripping on m eyelids causes painful burning. I do wear a sweat band but that only helps some.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

- Change your pillowcases (maybe all your bedlinens) daily while the pollens and molds are so high?

- Rinse your face with plain water before bed?

- Neti pot or other irrigation - the eyes are connected to the sinuses via the tear ducts, and inflammation in the sinuses will affect your eyes?

- Quercetin, CoQ, pantothenic acid/balanced B-complex, vitamin C (ester-C or Pure-Way C shouldn't cause stomach upset or leach minerals from your body)?

Personally I HATE air conditioning and I'd rather suffer through no matter what the pollen count is, but have you tried sealing up your house?

When you say prescription eye drops, do you mean Patanol antihistamine drops, or did you try steroid drops - topical steroids aren't near as scary as systemic?

Are you already getting immunotherapy? I keep beating that drum - but when you can actually train your body to stop reacting, that's so much better all around than treating the symptoms, even if you still have to use meds for breakthrough symptoms. Generally - an optometrist/opthalmologist isn't going to have the expertise dealing with allergies that an allergist will.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 09-04-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm in a similar boat, only my itchy is also inside my eyelids (GPC). My optometrist gave me some eye cleaning wipes that helped, and taking Allegra regularly (when I remember) keeps it under control but doesn't eliminate it. See an allergist if you can! I'll be back again when I'm on a laptop and not an iphone.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

In addition to an allergist, I would consult a dermatologist. There are several conditions that have the same symptoms as an allergy. Blepharitis comes to mind. I'd want to rule out bacterial causes of your problem.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

All good advice. I will check with a dermatologist and my naturopath doctor.
    Thank you!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

Ok, back. I think mine is somewhat sweat-related too. The morning after running or biking with contacts in, my eyes are puffy and crusty and itchy as all get-out. Like today. Which makes me want to wear my glasses, but then the bumps inside my eyelids will rub on my eyeballs all day. And even though I'm not supposed to wear contacts when my eyes are acting up, it seems to help keep my actual eyeballs from getting red and inflamed.

I wanted to suggest (if you aren't still doing daily contacts) that using the Clear Care solution has also helped me. And it has to be the name brand, unfortunately - there's something in the generic stuff that makes my eyes itchy too.

Anyway, I wish you luck.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I'm dealing with horrible eyelid itchy issues right now. Whatever is blooming...I wish it would stop. I think once life settles down into Fall a bit I'm going to finally go get allergy tested and start immunotherapy shots. I am so tired of being sick every Spring and Fall, since this is the time of year when the most fun running and biking stuff takes place.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Unfortunately this will only muddy the waters for you, but my vast experience with contact dermatitis has shown that an allergen will usually cause a reaction everywhere that it touches me, but not always.

Years ago when sunscreen still contained PABA, it would cause an itchy rash on my forearms, but nowhere else.

More recently I had a a patch of red, itchy, scaly skin on the browbone and eyelid of my left eye. Only the left eye. Eventually I determined it was caused by the Almay eye makeup remover I was using. And I used it on both eyes, but it only caused a problem around the left one.

So if your problem is contact dermatitis, then it might be caused by something that is not only coming into contact with your eyelids. It might be contacting you elsewhere but only causing a reaction around your eyes.

Now, having said that, since you mentioned pillowcases -- have you tried a different pillow made of different materials than the one you use now? Like maybe switching from poly- or down-fill to memory foam? You can also try to rule out or confirm that the cause is related to your pillow/mattress/etc. by sleeping somewhere else for a few nights, like in a recliner in the living room if you have one and can get comfortable enough.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Maybe you have an allergy to some product that your new cleaning lady used.

Must have been an allergy. After two solid months of swollen, red, flaky eyelids (I looked seriously diseased) it's cleared up over the weekend. Weird.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

That must be quite a relief!
    Glad to hear it has left you.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Okay, so after two days of symptom relief it came back strong. ugh. Another doctor told me to use Aquaphor. That seemed to alleviate the symptoms, but again, that only lasted for a day or so.

SO, I just went to my naturopath doctor. She gave it a good look over. She is confident its a yeast infection, not allergies. She said she can actually see the yeast.
    Treatment: A small variety of oral supplements to help kill the yeast, no dairy or added sugar, use teatree oil hair and facial products. Put coconut oil on eyelids at night before bed.
    We will see if this works!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

wow, interesting, keep us posted. just hope you aren't allergic to coconut - like me

I am extremely allergic to Sagebrush and rag weed, both of which are in full bloom. I gave up years ago and do use nasonex - 2 x's a day through the month of Sept until the first hard frost. I also take a really old drug - rynatan - dirt cheap generic. Between the two I can now actually enjoy fall. I figure I am not on the steroid for that long so am willing to do it.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com