Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battling the wind......

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone! Hope the Labor Day weekend was good for all. First and foremost, let me put this out there.... I've only been riding less than 6 months, I'm riding a Trek Lexa WSD, and im riding clipped in. The most distance I've ever covered in any single non-stop ride was 24 miles. I average 14-16 mph, depending on the day! Lately I've been pushing 17 mph on the flats. I decided to take on my first club ride and do 50 miles yesterday. I'm in the south and we've got rolling hills and an abundance of "false flats"! The 25 miles out were good, speed averaged 16-17 at times 18 mph, the wind was at our back. How nice that was!!! Now....need I even detail the return trip?

I gave out at 40 miles....needed a new engine! I could not fight that wind any longer. It had slowed me to a crawl, spinning just to keep from falling over. I was riding with my friend who's a stronger rider but even he couldn't pull me in. We rode back into a headwind that occasionally switched to a crosswind, depending on tree cover. It was brutal!!!

I try to ride hills often, but how do I battle wind? Do I just develop a Love/Hate relationship and deal with it? Positioning on the bike? I need some advice here because I plan to ride through the Fall and maybe some this Winter. The wind will only get worse. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CyclingRN View Post
    Hi everyone! Hope the Labor Day weekend was good for all. First and foremost, let me put this out there.... I've only been riding less than 6 months, I'm riding a Trek Lexa WSD, and im riding clipped in. The most distance I've ever covered in any single non-stop ride was 24 miles. I average 14-16 mph, depending on the day! Lately I've been pushing 17 mph on the flats. I decided to take on my first club ride and do 50 miles yesterday. I'm in the south and we've got rolling hills and an abundance of "false flats"! The 25 miles out were good, speed averaged 16-17 at times 18 mph, the wind was at our back. How nice that was!!! Now....need I even detail the return trip?

I gave out at 40 miles....needed a new engine! I could not fight that wind any longer. It had slowed me to a crawl, spinning just to keep from falling over. I was riding with my friend who's a stronger rider but even he couldn't pull me in. We rode back into a headwind that occasionally switched to a crosswind, depending on tree cover. It was brutal!!!

I try to ride hills often, but how do I battle wind? Do I just develop a Love/Hate relationship and deal with it? Positioning on the bike? I need some advice here because I plan to ride through the Fall and maybe some this Winter. The wind will only get worse. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!
    Yes, you sort of do have to develop a love/hate relationship with the wind. Body position can help if you can tolerate riding in your drops. Riding with other people helps, too. The bigger the group the better. But ultimately adapting to the wind is as much mental as it is physical. It takes a degree of patience that can be really hard at times, especially if you've just enjoyed a good tailwind.

As for your ride yesterday, while wind played a role in you pooping out at 40 miles, I'd also suggest that the overall length of the ride did, too. Going from 24 miles to 50 miles was a big jump for your body. Even in the best of conditions, you might have found yourself running out of steam, especially if you didn't eat or drink enough. I would suggest easing into that mileage. Increase your mileage by smaller increments. That will ulitimately help you ride in the wind, too., as your legs will be better adapted to longer hours in the saddle.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

My thinking was along the same lines as Indy - while the wind may have played a role, from your description, it is also likely that you bonked (didn't eat/drink enough).
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I'd add that even when I'm adapted to doing long rides, I do make sure to take an extra break or two (stretch during those breaks as your body will be taking a beating) and to eat and drink a bit more on windy rides. It easy to underestimate your energy output when you're riding at a snail's pace, but the reality is that you're using some extra energy not just to pedal but to brace your body against the wind, too.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Conditioning as well as the wind--going from 24 to 50 miles is a huge jump, never mind the wind.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    The wind can zap you, that's for sure. I agree with everyone else, tho- could have been a combination of lots of factors (not eating/drinking enough/jumping to twice the distance/wind/duration in the saddle).

Try to think about what you ate before and during the ride. Was it enough? How much did you drink? What kind of nutrition were you taking in during the ride (most people can only tolerate 200-300 calories an hour with both liquid and solid foods).

The wind is terrible. Living in Oklahoma, the wind does NOTHING but blow. There are very few trees to block it. I have a love/hate (more of a hate/hate, but whatever ) relationship with the wind. I tolerate it. I will change routes depending on how the wind is blowing (going east/west if it's a strong north or south wind, or going north/south if it's a east/west wind).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

+100 on what the others said. Wind can certainly be not-fun, and we are getting on the verge of a winder season. That being said, congratulations on your longer ride this weekend! That is a big leap for your body to, basically, double your mileage in one ride - but you did it and that was pretty darn cool

Windy rides DO take more out of the body. What I do on windy days is to cut back my mileage a bit - it just takes more energy and effort. I am also more likely to keep track of my time in the saddle rather than the overall mileage - that helps as well.

We did our 1st road ride of 50 miles on Monday and it kicked my backside... We live in the south too and the wind yesterday was horrible. I was asking DH the same questions about the wind.. I have gotten use to the longer rides on a trail that is about a 2% grade with only one spot that has any major hills. We have been 65 miles on the trail and I have had no problems.. but yesterday on the road plus the wind about killed me. I didn't think I could make the last 10 miles.
    I have a Lexa as well! congrats!

Battling the wind.....

Thanks everyone for the feedback! @ pre-ride meal... I started with a decent bowl of SC oatmeal with fruit and almonds, couple of scrambled eggs, piece of MG toast . Gel x1 15 minutes before ride, 2 water bottles on bike (Powerade in one and regular H2O with a couple of Hammer Endurolyte Fizz tabs in the other). Now, that breakfast alone was much for me. There were stocked stops every 12.5 miles but I wasn't hungry. And that's usually my problem, I have to make myself take a snack in every 30 minutes or so. Since we were riding in 95 degree heat with 80% humidity, the heat index put us at about 104 degrees! I didn't want to take in to much and then find myself throwing my toe nails up!!! It was intense!
    I drank plenty of fluid, both on the bike and at the stops.

I am usually my toughest competition, so I elected those 50 miles as a way to push myself. It was a self inflicted wound!

I have another ride on the 22nd. Given my work schedule, I've got 8 days open to try and get extra miles in. I may not shoot for 50 this time. But my inner voice is gonna say " you can't do any less than 40"!! Looks like I've gotta put her on mute and listen to my body....

Oh my lands. This was in high heat, too? That was a self-inflicted injury!

Here's my feeling about riding in hot and humid conditions. I realize some people can and do adapt to it, but unless and until you do, it's wise to err on the side of caution. If you're afraid to eat in the heat because it might/will make you throw up, your body is trying to tell you something IMO. Go short and take it easy.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Oh my lands. This was in high heat, too? That was a self-inflicted injury!

Here's my feeling about riding in hot and humid conditions. I realize some people can and do adapt to it, but unless and until you do, it's wise to err on the side of caution. If you're afraid to eat in the heat because it might/will make you throw up, your body is trying to tell you something IMO. Go short and take it easy.
    Indeed!! I threw myself under the bus on that one!! I am definitely going to ease into this next one. I will do what I can when I can, and accept what I can't do at that given time. There are many experienced cyclist in my area and it's a bit intimidating, I want to be that good. I guess you can't be good if you are belly up in a ditch!!

I really appreciate every response, this is why I joined the TE forum.

Quote Originally Posted by CyclingRN View Post
    Indeed!! I threw myself under the bus on that one!! I am definitely going to ease into this next one. I will do what I can when I can, and accept what I can't do at that given time. There are many experienced cyclist in my area and it's a bit intimidating, I want to be that good. I guess you can't be good if you are belly up in a ditch!!

I really appreciate every response, this is why I joined the TE forum.
    I've so been in your shoes. When I first started riding, it was in an effort to endear myself to my then-boyfriend, who was a pretty strong rider. Oh, what folly. One of my first serious rides was 42 miles. With him and only him. On a hot day. The only food I had on me was a Peanut Butter flavored Clif Bar. I wasn't yet adept at drinking from a water bottle while moving, so I got pretty parched during the ride. I finally begged for a break so that I could eat something, but I was feeling so poorly at that point and was so thirsty, that the Clif Bar tasted like dry oats. I couldn't even choke it down. I can barely even look at one now, let alone eat one. I'm not even sure how I managed to finish that ride; it was a nightmare.

I rethought my strategy at that point (and we broke up not long thereafter) and took a more measured approach. He and I remained friend as it turned out, and I eventually got strong enough not only to keep up, but on occassion to kick his butt! So, we learn from both our mistakes and our victories.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I've so been in your shoes. When I first started riding, it was in an effort to endear myself to my then-boyfriend, who was a pretty strong rider. Oh, what folly. One of my first serious rides was 42 miles. With him and only him. On a hot day. The only food I had on me was a Peanut Butter flavored Clif Bar. I wasn't yet adept at drinking from a water bottle while moving, so I got pretty parched during the ride. I finally begged for a break so that I could eat something, but I was feeling so poorly at that point and was so thirsty, that the Clif Bar tasted like dry oats. I couldn't even choke it down. I can barely even look at one now, let alone eat one. I'm not even sure how I managed to finish that ride; it was a nightmare.

I rethought my strategy at that point (and we broke up not long thereafter) and took a more measured approach. He and I remained friend as it turned out, and I eventually got strong enough not only to keep up, but on occassion to kick his butt! So, we learn from both our mistakes and our victories.
    Lol!!! Oh have I been that chick also! Before I managed that water bottle skill I also would be bone dry at a rest point, scared to talk because I figured smoke would come out of my mouth!!! That laugh was right on point! Thanks!

second and triple the idea of easing into riding longer distances in big chunks in hot humid weather. The general rule for increasing distances in riding and or running is to not increase more than 10% a week.

Headwinds- consider them as resistance training or give up. Get in a good aerodymanic position in your drops or aerobars, lighten the gear load, hit a slightly slower pace and think positive thoughts.

It is impossible to calculate the drain that heat and humidity can take on you in spite of the preparation and hydration. Just as it is nearly impossible to classify the weathermans' temperature with what the actual feels like temperature is while you are out riding. I mean I knew today's 50 mile ride was brutal because of the heat and the wind, even though we started before the sun cleared the horizon and kept a good pace. Felt lik 85-90 because of the breeze and some cloud cover. Apparently because of the humidity, the actual feel like temp was 109. That may have been why I felt so wiped out. I do know that in addition to my normal preride breakfast, I went through twice as many gu gels as normal, added shot blocks , and refilled both bottles at a convienience store twice.

I know we all like to prove we are tough, but there is a time to be cautious. I will be sooooo glad when the temperatures drop back out of the high 90's ad maybe into the low 80's- sometime in November.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    second and triple the idea of easing into riding longer distances in big chunks in hot humid weather. The general rule for increasing distances in riding and or running is to not increase more than 10% a week.

Headwinds- consider them as resistance training or give up. Get in a good aerodymanic position in your drops or aerobars, lighten the gear load, hit a slightly slower pace and think positive thoughts.

It is impossible to calculate the drain that heat and humidity can take on you in spite of the preparation and hydration. Just as it is nearly impossible to classify the weathermans' temperature with what the actual feels like temperature is while you are out riding. I mean I knew today's 50 mile ride was brutal because of the heat and the wind, even though we started before the sun cleared the horizon and kept a good pace. Felt lik 85-90 because of the breeze and some cloud cover. Apparently because of the humidity, the actual feel like temp was 109. That may have been why I felt so wiped out. I do know that in addition to my normal preride breakfast, I went through twice as many gu gels as normal, added shot blocks , and refilled both bottles at a convienience store twice.

I know we all like to prove we are tough, but there is a time to be cautious. I will be sooooo glad when the temperatures drop back out of the high 90's ad maybe into the low 80's- sometime in November.

marni
    Thanks Marni, great advice. I am definitely gonna scale back in this heat. It's brutal and this is the heat that could put you in the hospital. I am going to master this wind, one way or another! I'm not going to let it whip me, I just have to adapt!!! One things certain, I will not push myself to that point on my next ride!!!