Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HUGE Hubbard Squash!

To disable ads, please log-in.

We have such a wide range of experience and knowledge here I am sure that there is someone who knows the answer to this. I am sure it is also on the internet, but I can't find it.

A friend gave me a couple of HUGE Hubbard Squashes! They are beautiful! I know how to cook them, last week I tried it for the first time and it was yummy. It is also a nice way to get some healthy carbs that aren't fructose. The problem is this - the squash I had LAST week was far smaller than this one and I almost cut my hand off cutting it. I want to slice this monster in half to roast it, but how? Is there a way to soften it a bit to make it easier to cut? Otherwise I might need an axe or chainsaw

Saw isn't a bad idea ... or sharp, long-ish serrated knife anyway. Across until you get through the hardest part of the skin, then through so you're just cutting one wall at a time. Similar to how I usually cut a pumpkin before baking.

That's my best idea, but take it for what it's worth, since not only haven't I done it with a squash so large or hard, I once cut my thumb nearly to the bone peeling a squash.

Took a year for the scar contracture to loosen up. My doctor's comment when I showed it to her, much later: "Why would you want to peel a squash?"
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

If I had a saw or hatchet I would try it...I am also on a Primal forum, I will ask them as well. I DID put a spaghetti squash in the microwave the other day for 1 minute and it made it much easier to cut in half. I doubt this monster would fit...and even if it did it is so large that I am unsure how it would behave in the 'wave.

I watched my nearly blind 92 yr old neighbor cut up a huge watermelon a couple weeks ago. I was amazed, and aghast, at the same time. I want to be like her when I grow up.

This is how she did it:

First sharpen your biggest knife. Dull knives, besides being harder to cut with, will slip, and are more likely to cause injury. Dull knife cuts hurt a lot more than sharp cuts. You really don't want to know how I know about these things.

Start the first cut into the squash, as far as you can go with it. Hold onto the knife handle with one hand, then using your dominant hand and a rubber mallet (or even a hammer if that's all you have), tap gently, but firmly, on the other end of the knife, and rock the knife back and forth until the cut is complete. Don't just slam either the knife or the hammer - that will just cause the whole thing to roll, risking injury to yourself, or to the knife. My neighbor's weapon of choice is a hammer.... and she's still got all her fingers. LOL.

If you can, start by cutting off one thin but long edge, so you can set the remaining squash on your cutting board on a flat side - this will make subsequent cuts easier. If the cutting board is sliding around, put a damp paper towel underneath, between the cutting board and the countertop.

Too funny! When I first read this thread title, I thought it said "Hubbard squats". I thought I was about to read the newest torture your NIFS trainer had thought up. You got huge squats? And you want to cut them up? Wait, what??? Then, i reread it. Oh, huge squash. That makes more sense.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Too funny! When I first read this thread title, I thought it said "Hubbard squats". I thought I was about to read the newest torture your NIFS trainer had thought up. You got huge squats? And you want to cut them up? Wait, what??? Then, i reread it. Oh, huge squash. That makes more sense.
    Thank you so much Indy - I just spent about a minute truly laughing out loud and was even at the verge of tears Thank you!

I have been known to take the sucker out to the garage and cut it with my husbands band saw- then I buy him a new blade. It's cheaper than a run to the ER.

I also tend to buy microwave size squashes.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I wouldn't use a good straight bladed knife on a hard squash. You'll just dull the blade. Watermelon rind is no comparison. I really think serrated is the way to go.

Thanks for the ideas - I didn't buy these two squash, someone at work gave them to me. It would be a shame to waste them, but a trip to the ER would be an even larger shame. I wonder if I were to stab one of them a few dozen times and put the whole thing in the oven for 10-15 minutes would soften that thick skin up a bit... I don't have a serrated knife large enough for this though it might be good to have one large enough for this purpose anyway.

I think you could roast it whole for a while and then cut it. Mind you I haven't tried this, but that's basically what's done with smaller squash and par-cooking them in the microwave, then cutting them. Since they were free it wouldn't hurt to experiment.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    I think you could roast it whole for a while and then cut it. Mind you I haven't tried this, but that's basically what's done with smaller squash and par-cooking them in the microwave, then cutting them. Since they were free it wouldn't hurt to experiment.
    I would vent them a bit by puncturig the skin as deep as possible in a couple of places just in case they decide to explode. Don't ask how I know!
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I wondered about that. No saw ... do you have a claw hammer and a nail???

I used an old large straight edge knife tonight and spent some quality time with that squash. I managed to finally cut it into thirds and THAT made it much easier to handle.

great thread. I usually waited for my husband to do it; or until a son visited. we have some awesome knives but I am not equal to the task. I'm glad you got the job done.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I can't imagine a huge hubbard squash. I recently had my Henckel's knife sharpened....so that I could cut into butternut squash. I cut it up to cook it (I stir fry it. It is delicious. No need to use sugar/sweetening agent at all.) and freeze bags of raw pieces for winter months. It's effort and requires rocking the knife slowly through the squash ..to cut it all the way through.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.