Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Relocation this Summer to N.Virginia- Any riders there in area?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am actually thrilled to say... we're coming back home to the US, after 6 years living overseas. I am sooo looking forward to riding with other women. Looking forward to riding many a century and other supportive rides too!! I am not sure where we will be living- city?? My DH will be working in Fauquier County and sometimes DC area. We were thinking of looking down in Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania area. For the houses in Fauquier Cnty is way high for what you get down in Fred/Spotsy. I will need to find a job for myself, as this is a transfer for my DH. Search of course for a home. Looking to get into an apartment for only a year or less to scope out the homes, schools and communities in which to set up camp for years to come. I have a son to enter HighSchool and the other to enter MS. Are there many road cyclists down that way in Spotsylvania-Fredericksburg-Stanton/Quantico??? I would love to live up off of 66 in the Front Royal- Linden area but the job sources look a bit limited and the commute could be too long for my DH as 66 is killer! The roadbiking in that area however appear to be real nice being by the Blue Ridge- Sheno. Mtn.... Any advice appreciated!
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

Shoot, I thought you were going to say Florida...Oh well. Good luck with your move!

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

AutumnB - First, take this with a grain of salt, as I do not like the DC-Northern VA are. I have lived in the DC metro area since 1987, having moved from Pittsburgh for job reasons. I lived in Quantico/Stafford from about '88-'96 and it was the pits because I had to commute to the Tysons/McLean area. Even then, the traffic on 95 was a complete nightmare. There were a couple occasions when it took FOUR hours to get home. From what I hear, that area has become a suburban sprawl. When we were there, it was still relatively rural, but now, it's tract-homes and chainstore/chain restaurants galore. Luckily, we were able to find a buyer for our place in Stafford before the area got too developed & buy a place in Arlington before the housing prices went too crazy. My commute is now 5 miles--back roads--so it isn't that bad. I prefer either living in a city where I can walk/metro places, like I do now, or in the country. I hate the suburbs, but that's just me. Anyway, my point is that your husband, when he comes into the city, will have a hellish time on 95, unless he rides the train. So, moving south to avoid having to drive 66 isn't going to do you any good.
    The far suburbs---Leesburg, Winchester, etc to the West and Fred'burg, Spotsy, Stafford, to the South---have exploded. There are a lot of "gated" communities (BARF) with cookie cutter oversized homes. You might be able to find a couple places that are still fairly rural, but unless the bottom falls out of the housing market or/and the communities do something to control the over-development, you can bet someone will be putting up mcmansions before too long and your quality of life will go down the toilet.
    Enough of that! :-)
    I think there is a bike club in Fred'burg. Not sure about the cycling community down there, though. When I lived down that way, I was running marathons/1/2 marathons, and there was a decent running community. Prince William Forest Park is a good place to ride & run (if it hasn't gotten too busy!). Can't comment on what's out west.
    Any direction you go, you are going to have to deal with over-crowding, over-priced houses, and the attitudes that come along with it. I have 13 years and two weeks before I can retire at full pension and move WEST, somewhere it doesn't snow, where people treat each other decently, and hopefully, where it isn't crowded.
    Last edited by Selkie; 01-21-2006 at 01:19 AM.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I'm with mickchick on the far-out 'burbs, but if your job is in Faquier, you might as well live out there and not have to commute far.

I live on the Maryland-DC line and work in Alexandria, Va. I have a wonderful half urban-half bike path commute on my bike. DC is a great place to live--lots to do, see, eat, etc.

I hope you find some riding buddies in the area in which you settle. I would be willing to travel a bit for some good riding from time-to-time. Mickchick--wanna ride sometime?

I lived in Fredericksburg several years ago it is so over built now that you can hardly get anywhere! Spotsylvania isn't so bad, my sister lived out by Lake Anna but depending on if/where you work it may be a little hard getting there b/c of the traffic, I have a friend whose parents live there and she whines everytime she has to go to Fredburg about the traffic. It was not too bad when I was there but N. VA has gone south

I now live in Roanoke, small town, and few good paying jobs but you don't have near the traffic, or good shopping or grocery stores, I guess that's the price we pay to live in the Country. Good luck, let us know where you land!
    LIFE IS GOOD

Women bikers in Va

Check out this website, Babes on Bikes. You will love it.

Hah, I tried Googling the phrase Babes on Bikes - it brought up some, um, interesting sites

But I think this is the one you had in mind:

http://www.babesonbikes.org/

Very cool website ! Do you belong to this group, Jen?

Babes on Bikes seems like a good group, and I would love to go riding with them. However, it seems like their rides are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings. For those of us who work, such ride times are not possible (well, I'm riding at that time--but it's to the office!)

Tulip - Babes on Bikes are stay-at-home moms/wives. I belong to the group but have never ridden w/them because I work. Maybe you and I can ride some time? I'm in North Arlington---my neighborhood abuts the Custis Trail. I wish I could commute to work but there are no safe routes.

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick
    Tulip - Babes on Bikes are stay-at-home moms/wives. I belong to the group but have never ridden w/them because I work. Maybe you and I can ride some time? I'm in North Arlington---my neighborhood abuts the Custis Trail. I wish I could commute to work but there are no safe routes.
    I'm surprised they don't do any weekend rides at all. Oh well. Sure, I'd be up for a ride. My commute is 14 miles each way between Alexandria and Prince Georges County Maryland.

Send me a PM if you want to ride sometime. I do ride all winter, commuting. I plan on doing some longer/harder road rides once the weather warms up (new road bike, can't wait to try it out on some longer rides). I'm not fast, but that doesn't mean that I can't GET fast. I'd even be up for driving (egads!) out further to discover new roads--maybe we can meet up with the OP of this thread?

Sounds good. I ride about 125 miles a week, on average. I don't ride the roads around here (too dangerous), just paved trails. I'm not too terribly fast or definitely not competitive. Just want to have a good time. I'll PM

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

Northern Virginia

The main club in the washington DC, VA, MD area is Potomac Peddlers Club. Babes on Bikes only get together during the week because they had such a small to no turn out on weekends. Everyone went to Potomac Peddlers Club rides. I work and I am new to biking but would love to ride with the gals sometime. I would be willing to take a day off from work a month to do it. For now, I think I need to develop my bike handling skills so I won't be a danger to myself.

Warrenton area

Warrenton area:
    Here is the site for the LBS and you will see that it seems heavy with guys, seen a couple of gals. www.rideva.com
    I have a feeling I will have to start up my own site and group in this area. There may be a couple of people I can round up to ride with.
    Maybe they need someone in there to start things up??

The bike shop has an opening for sales and putting bikes together, I have the customer service/sales down and minor repair but the experience is limited. Says willing to train so, depending on the pay, I might find myself there, if they are willing to train a girl??? and wait till I relocate Hmmm...
    I also wrote a letter to the store about bikejournal.com in case they did not know of it. Then pointed out the benefits of the premier bike store membership.
    Last edited by AutumnBreez; 02-06-2006 at 10:31 AM.
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

Why not start up a group like babes on bikes but for rides on weekends or holidays? The babes did a ride on the Capitol Cressent Trail. I think they went from Bethesda to Georgetown. I can't wait till spring to do that.

Where are you moving back from? DC area has lots of rides.