Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Late June arrival/ July to get bike.

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have to find a place to live so I can get the kids registered for school. One middle school and the other entering HS. Don't want to move to a different school district unless I land in bad one at first. Looking at the schools on greatschools.com but some don't have comment/reviews and even there you don't know fully to guage. Fauquier County looks ok, Fairfax is too expensive of an area though the schools are great. If I could find a safe and reasonable place for us and the doggy. Spotsylvania/Freder look to be in our price range a bit more. Looking forward to riding once I get settled. Won't get our shipment till July/Aug. to have my bike back.
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

There still should be some affordable places, relatively speaking, in Fairfax County. Depends on where you look.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the schools in Fred-burg or Spotsy County. With the influx of "city folk" down that way, I'm sure the quality of the schools is decent, especially in Fred-burg. When you get there, go to Carl's and have a "jumbo" ice cream cone. They have the BEST soft serve at Carl's.

Hey, you should be able to rent a bike while you're waiting for your ride to arrive. Have a safe trip back home!

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

I work as a civilian at walter reed. Always am in awe of you military folks who have to find a decent area to live and go to school in a strange place.

Northern Virginia cycling

Hi Autumn Breeze

Lots of wonderful places to cycle in Northern Virginia. Lots of bike trails in the DC area. There are a number of clubs two I am familiar with Potomac Peddlers and the Reston Bike Club. The bike shops in the various areas can help you locate groups to ride with.

I live in Manassas, VA and find it is a nice location since I can get to the Washington Old Domionion trail with a fairly short drive.

Barb
    Remember: Today is the youngest you will ever be.

Barb

Riding buddies in Northern Virginia

Hi everyone,

I would love to find some people to ride with on weekends. I have done a number of centuries over the past few years. I am an average rider, more stamina than speed. My average is probably 12-14 mph. My favorite trail is the WOD. Of course the trails further in -- are great too. I have a nice route in the Nokesville area which is safe and very scenic. We could meet at the Brentsville High School sometime. I have a 20 mile and 30 mile loop that is quite nice.

Maybe some of us could meet somewhere some weekend and ride together. Nice to have company while riding.

Hope to hear from "someone".

Barb
    Remember: Today is the youngest you will ever be.

Barb

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

DC / NOVA / MD ride?

Barrb, mickchick, Jen and the others--LET'S GO FOR A RIDE! The weather is nice, my new road bike that I got last fall is getting restless, and quite jealous of my commuter bike, which I ride to work regularly.

I live in NE DC / PG MD area, but I can travel by car or by bike. I know the Mount Vernon Trail, but not the WO&D or Custis trails, and would be happy to follow along someone who does. I'm not fast, maybe 12-14 (although I don't use a computer), and I'm not ready to do anywhere near a century yet, but I'd be up for a ride of an hour or two. I'm still getting used to my new road bike.

Interested? Let's see what we can arrange.

DC / NOVA / MD ride?

I could be interested in this ride as well. I live in Delaware, but have lots of family in DC area, and they always say they don't get to see me much. Would have to be a weekend. I need to go to Trader Joe's anyway and the closest one is 2 hours away. Never rode anywhere in DC except for that path by National Airport - did not like that - way way too congested. Keep me posted if this happens.

Martha

Girls - Count me in. If we meet super early or later in the day, the trails shouldn't be TOO crowded.
    Tulip, the Mt. Vernon Trail connects with the Custis up by Chain Bridge (Key Bridge Marriot). There's a stretch between Old Town that goes past Nat'l Airport---not sure if that's the Mt. Vernon Trail or something else. Anyway, it hooks up with the Custis, which will lead to the W&OD and we could head west. There are some dicey road crossings, but if we ride in a group, we should be OK.
    I live about 1/2 mile from the Custis (my house is a mile north of Ballston Metro Station).
    I wonder if we could ride at the Arboretum in DC? I'm not sure how busy the roads get there (I've been there only in the winter), but it's nice, quiet, and there's at least one good hill.
    We can take it at a leisurely pace. Maybe stop somewhere for some eats?
    I'll check w/the fellas at work to see if there are any less-busy places we can ride.
    Last edited by Selkie; 04-19-2006 at 01:16 PM.

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick
    Girls - Count me in. If we meet super early or later in the day, the trails shouldn't be TOO crowded.
    Tulip, the Mt. Vernon Trail connects with the Custis up by Chain Bridge (Key Bridge Marriot). There's a stretch between Old Town that goes past Nat'l Airport---not sure if that's the Mt. Vernon Trail or something else. Anyway, it hooks up with the Custis, which will lead to the W&OD and we could head west. There are some dicey road crossings, but if we ride in a group, we should be OK.
    I live about 1/2 mile from the Custis (my house is a mile north of Ballston Metro Station).
    I wonder if we could ride at the Arboretum in DC? I'm not sure how busy the roads get there (I've been there only in the winter), but it's nice, quiet, and there's at least one good hill.
    We can take it at a leisurely pace. Maybe stop somewhere for some eats?
    I'll check w/the fellas at work to see if there are any less-busy places we can ride.
    I take the Mount Vernon Trail on my commute once I get to the Virginia side of the 14th Street Bridge. I work in Old Town Alexandria, so I go south. I have not been north of the Key Bridge on the MVT. I think that early would be okay, but it gets horribly crowded in nice weather, like you have to stop and wait crowded. I think the Arboretum would be a fabulous place to ride. I have seen people on bikes there, and the azaleas must be amazing right about now. I don't know about the traffic during azalea season, though. Lots of peole drive around there, although slowly. I'll do some investigating to make sure that bikes are allowed.

There's also a PPTC ride that I was thinking about this weekend. Here's a description (the last sentence is comforting):

C * 36 * VA * 9:30 AM * Nokesville Community Park (NCP) * 50%
    South of Nokesville. Join us for this popular Virginia ride. We are able to stay relatively close to the Metro area, while still enjoying a rural setting. The ride is mostly flat to rolling with no serious hills to contend with. There are two rest stops to allow for regrouping and refreshment. I will lead at a true C pace and promise to leave no one behind.
    C (9:30 AM) * Ed Kerr * ekerr56@comcast.net * 703/791-6113

Tulip - Looks like rain for the weekend, unfortunately. Heavy rain for Saturday. I guess we've been lucky, in comparison w/our Northern California pals. Hopefully, that ride in Nokesville in on Sunday because it's supposed to clear up.
    Once I get my cyclocross bike (delivery date is late July/August), we should all take a day-long jaunt out the C&O!!
    In the meantime, I look forward to meeeting everyone for a low key ride. If it works out, maybe we can get together on a regular basis? We can even make my place a rendevous point, as the folks who live a ways out can bring their bikes on the Metro. "No Cars" necessary!!!

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

Tulip - Looks like rain for the weekend, unfortunately. Heavy rain for Saturday. I guess we've been lucky, in comparison w/our Northern California pals. Hopefully, that ride in Nokesville in on Sunday because it's supposed to clear up.
    Once I get my cyclocross bike (delivery date is late July/August), we should all take a day-long jaunt out the C&O!!
    In the meantime, I look forward to meeeting everyone for a low key ride. If it works out, maybe we can get together on a regular basis? We can even make my place a rendevous point, as the folks who live a ways out can bring their bikes on the Metro. "No Cars" necessary!!!
    Great idea, as I really don't like to drive in order to ride my bike, and I like low-key rides. As of now, the Nokesville ride is a go for me, but rain may put it on hold. Let's keep this thread going until we actually do a ride together!

Tulip - If you are able to do the Nokesville ride, let us know about it. I belong to Potomac Pedalers but have never done one of their group rides.

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

Tulip - If you are able to do the Nokesville ride, let us know about it. I belong to Potomac Pedalers but have never done one of their group rides.
    Okay, I will let you know. I have to get my road bike out and pumped up (I ride another bike for daily commuting), and I'll check the weather. I also have to figure out if I'm REALLY up for driving 1 hour + to get there...check back tonight and I'll let you know yes or no.

I'm 90% for tomorrow's ride in Nokesville. The bike is ready, I even bought a Luna bar for the ride...and if I set the coffee pot for auto before I go to bed, I'll be ready, too.

It'll be my longest ride (36 miles) in a long time, although I regularly do 30 on my commute, but that's round trip. I'm also going to be riding my new road bike, which I have ridden only a few times. I guess I'm a bit nervous about keeping up is all, but 12-14mph ought not to be a problem.

livin' nova

Warrenton, in Fauquier Co., is a cute town. I wouldn't rule out living there or further west. The commute from Winchester to Fauquier isn't that bad on 66 (45 min.) - I've done it a few times. It's commute from Fauquier Co. to DC - now that gets a little sticky.
    The Winchester Wheelmen usually have a pretty high male/female ratio when we road ride. Everyone is welcome. www.winchesterwheelmen.org.
    Is anyone doing the MS 150 in Charlottesville?
    On another subject, any ideas on living arrangements in Alexandria? I am job hunting in that area.