Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cycling snobs

While commuting...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I generally keep my gaze straight ahead when I'm riding (or glancing at the ground, keeping on the lookout for broken glass -- grrrr!), but that's mostly because I'm kind of shy. If another biker waves at me, I sometimes don't notice or I notice too late to wave back! Many times people who come up on my left and pass me say a friendly, "Good morning!" or "Hello!" -- this sometimes catches me by surprise, and I'm usually late in getting out a weak reply. I have to say it's nice, though, when other riders are friendly. I don't mean to appear unfriendly -- I'll try not to be so uptight!

keeping your balance

I'm a beginner too and i find it hard to take my hands off the handlebars! I can actually take one off at a time now, and feel pretty comfortable. But... it's impossible for me to remove my water bottle, take a drink, and put it back in its holder, all while riding! Will I ever get this?!? I know it's probably just a time thing, but it is difficult!

I've never had a problem drinking from my waterbottles, but I know some people who've been riding for years and still can't do it. Practice, practice, practice. If that doesn't work, try a Camelbak.

Lori -- it's definitely a confidence thing. When I was in high school and rode my 10 speed everywhere, I could easily let go of my handlebars altogether, get water, etc. Now, I've been at this almost 2 and a half months & I'm not reaching for that bottle either. I am to the point where I can let one hand go rather easily now. I'm sure this talent will come soon. . . LOL

I do have a hydration system, but I only take it on longer rides. On my other rides, I just stop -- get a drink -- stretch -- and off I go.

I have trouble putting the water bottle away...I've actually missed the slip ONCE. I am extra cautious now. On my first group ride - the sweaper was trying to show me how it's done and she did the same thing!!

I can ride without my right hand but for some reason I get more nervous when my left hand if removed from the bars. (I'm left handed) - although getting the new stem improved that a lot!!

Yeah, I'll be glad when we can all ride with no hands !!

Drinking while riding

Here's something that might help anyone who's having trouble drinking out of a waterbottle while riding.

Whichever hand you keep on the bar, place that hand right in the middle, next to the stem. It gives you more control over the steering. Then reach down with the other hand for the waterbottle. Go ahead and glance down first, so you know you are grabbing in the right place. You can keep pedaling, or, if it's easier at first, just coast and get that drink, then take another quick glance down at the cage and put the bottle back in. Sounds complicated and time-consuming, but it's not and it'll only take a few seconds. You need to stay hydrated while riding so it's important to become comfortable with drinking. That way you will do it more often. Eventually, you'll be able to reach down, drink, replace the bottle, and never even look at what you are doing. It takes practice, but it will happen and you'll be so smooth!
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

bike snobs

I used to be intimidated by those hard core local 'team jersey' guys until I met a REAL pro cyclist. He was the sweetest most humble person you can imagine. NOw when I see those types with $5000 bikes and 5 cent personalities I just laugh.