Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Strain/Sprain of lower back

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone ever experience strain/sprain in lower back?
    I was chugging along great all summer, started on the road in April, did 22 hilly miles at the Nisson Harpeth River Ride in early June, rode 40 hilly miles @ One Helluva Ride in mid July, and numerous rides in between. Was feeling very good and strong and could feel myself becoming more agile and skilled, and was usually cruising at 14-16 mph. All of a sudden could barely get out of bed one morning and had a gigantic "cramp" over right SI joint! Had a couple of deep tissue massages that helped alot, but the cramp kept returning and could only ride about 8 flat miles before spasms stopped me. Went to the hubby's chiropractor who told me I had the strain/sprain and that L5 and the sacrum were out of line-twisted backward on the left side. This has caused stretched ligaments and lots of swelling and spasms. I have had 4 treatments and am feeling much better, but afraid to get back on the bike, exercise, work on core, etc,etc,etc. Do I need to adjust the seat? Did I injure myself and not remember? Were the hills too much-I live in "Flatville, USA"!
    Don't cross the river if you can swim the tide...

2011-Cannondale Synapse Alloy5 WSD with 105 and BB30!

Ask the chiro? My chiropractor will guide me back into activity. She's also a cyclist, and understands these things..
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Do you notice this backwards twisting when riding your bike? I ask because I was the opposite, my right hip twisted backwards. About 4 yrs ago I started with knee and foot pain when riding, then my right hip started hurting. I'd bend over and totally lock up, couldn't walk or ride. When I went hiking I was literally dragging my right foot. After dealing with a couple of docs, 4 mos of PT and a very expensive MRI, which said there was was nothing wrong with my back I was left in pain, frustrated and feeling like everyone thought I was a hypocondriac. Fortunately, I found a wonderful PT who diagnosed my problem, SI joint. But things didn't get better.

After the last episode in Dec. I saw a PT who also diagnosed me with a very "flat" lower back and prescribed mobility exercises. Life is so much better now. I just consulted a PT, at the same clinic, and he said my SI joint
    is stable. He's helping me to move on to gaining the strength I lost over the last 4 yrs.

I don't know if your chiro is helpful, massage felt good but didn't solve the issue. It took me 4 yrs and several PT's to get to the point I'm at. Don't be complacent, you'll feel good for a while but it will come back. If you're not happy find someone else.

Icing after exercise helps or whenever it you feel spasms. Sleeping with a pillow under your knees if you sleep on your back or between your legs if you sleep on your side helps to alievate the morning soreness.

Bike fit is very important and posture on the bike is very important. I try to keep my RA muscle (the one you work when you're doing a crunch) from pulling me forward in a crunch position. I gently pull my belly button toward my spine and pull my ribcage up. On hills this gives me more power and makes me use my hamstrings and glute muscles. MY PT said I was using my RA muscle so I try to be more conscious of not letting it curl me forward when I sit, stand or walk.

I also use lumbar support when I ride in my car. I really notice not having it even for a few minutes.

I hope this helps. Hip problems can be very frustrating but keep moving and learn all you can about your issues.

I too am a little surprised your DC didn't give you an exercise program. Core work is usually how you resolve that kind of thing and prevent it from happening again, but you should avoid doing anything that aggravates the nerve until it's calmed down a little. Maybe ask her to refer you to PT.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

AT first my last PT did not give me an exercise program, except for couple of movements to regain the mobility in my lower back. However, I was in a lot of pain. For the 1st week I wasn't allowed to do anything as the SI joint kept moving. When it became more stable I progressed to riding my bike on the trainer, then to going for walks. When things calmed down I was allowed to ski. At the end of PT I had the spine mobility movements, 1 exercise to address the hip asymmetry and bridging.

For the pain she did what she called "cross-friction" massage over the SI joint, no other massage.

My new PT has given me exercises for the "smaller" muscles in the glutes, hip flexor and T-Spine mobility. He also said that bridging is " a very good" exercise for me but I have to be careful of the position of my low back.

I've found with better posture and lower back mobility the TA and RA muscles activate on their own. I avoid crunches.

TA= transverse abdominus? And RA = rectal abdominus?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    TA= transverse abdominus? And RA = rectal abdominus?
    Yes, I was too lazy to spell them out. However, RA = Rectus Abdominus

Here's a good explanation.

http://hab-it.com/blog/?p=85

Strained my back on Friday while moving with a slight rotational twist towards the right while placing the right quadratus lumborum and left lat under a heavy load. I was pulling the locking lever on my bike rack (Thule 917xtr T2) away from my body using my left hand while lifting the heavy carrier up with my right hand. It wasn't the range of motion of the movement that did me in. It was the weight of the load while trying to keep my left side stable.

Probably tmi, but I was about to start my cycle and my muscles tire and ligaments get very lax at that time of the month. I'm more prone to injury then.

I felt it pull immediately. Unfortunately, I had to give 3 hours of massage and another hour of packing/unpacking my massage table and travel time before I could address it with ice. During work, I did a lot of lunging to prevent from having to bend forward.

I had my husband massage my back when I got home using myoskeletal alignment along the transverse processes of my spine, myofascial to lats, neuromuscular on the muscle bellies and sacral ligaments, pinned and stretched my psoas muscles, and soft/slow one directional cross fiber to the erector spinae. He's not a massage therapist. But, he's a good learner and listens to directions very, very well. He massages me most every night and can feel muscle tissue. I trust him more than any massage therapist, no matter how qualified. He knows my body.

The massage did help some. Afterwards, I iced it for 20 minutes and took some ibuprofen. Slept on my right side that night with a pillow between my legs.

It was still a little stiff and sore the next morning. I found moving felt better than sitting or lying down. Later that day, my husband and I went for a short 10 mile hilly ride. Didn't feel any pain during the ride. After the ride, it was sore standing up straight because my quadratus lumborum didn't want to contract to allow my psoas to lengthen.

Today, I went for a 3 hour bike ride. Felt it stiffen towards the end because I wasn't engaging my core. Once I engaged my core, the pain went away. I'll start a little core work and strengthening my quadratus lumborum tomorrow.

Everyone's body and injury is different. There's so many different reasons people feel pain in the back. Hope you feel better soon!!!