Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

It was diagnosed 5 yrs ago, while in the military (I am currently out). The doctor asked me to position my legs in weird ways and that would agravate the pain on the lateral side of my knee. After that I was placed on PT (for Ultrasound Theraphy) but did not do much after 2 months of stretching and therapy. I was told pretty much to "stretcht" or to consider steroid injections (yeah... I keep the discomfort, thank you very much!! ). I got discouraged since I did not see any results then and of course, did not took stretching very seriously. As embarrasing as it sounds I just said "screw it" and never went back to jog again. Now I am too heavy to run, but I welcome some bike riding. I do use the elliptical machine and walk on the treadmill at a decent phase (3.5 to 4.0) without a problem, a couple times a week. I just decided to join my husband during his bike rides (he was bitten by the Tour de france bug).

Hey Helluva... I'm just piping up re the steroid injections.

I had problems with my shoulder for a bit a few years ago and was offered a steroid injection (I have since had another for the same prob) and when I came out of the doctors surgery and told my partner he congratulated on being so brave. Puzzled, I asked him why (it was just an injection after all) and he told me steroid injections can really hurt. I had no pain from it and the relief in my shoulder seemed almost instant.

I had no side effects (two injections over a few years) and I would strongly recommend them if you are offered again - however, if I had to do a course of injections, I would reconsider... don't want too much steroids in ones system...

Wishing you a positive and healthful outcome from your lifestyle descision - great to be doing it with your husband - thats what I love most about cycling... it is another passion both my partner and I can share.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

You might look around your area for cycling-specific sports medicine clinics. Locally, we have Max Testa and Eric Heiden. Solutions for cyclists can be very different than those for runners.

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/sportsm...al_tests.shtml

my two cents

I had pretty bad ITB problems a few years back. I got rid of it completely with PT centered around weights. My PT bascially explained that when the quad is not strong enough to do the job that it is being asked to do, it will, shut down and the ITB will bear the brunt of the imbalance. The problems is gone. No shots, no surgery..gone.
    See a good sport medicine doc, get some good PT going, strengthen and balance your leg muscles. I know everybody is different, but I betcha it will work.

Ruth

I would also suggest you join the Bike Journal. www.bikejournal.com.

There are some riders from Florida that you might get some good feedback from as well.

I also recommend clipless "float" pedals and carbon sole cycling shoes. I have arch supports in mine and have had few problems with my arthritic knees.

Yes the IT band is a difficult one to cure. I have a cycling friend (on the Bike Journal as RoboRider) who has terrible IT band problems. He says the only remedy is rest when it flairs up. He also takes Ibuprofren when he rides long distances. This guy is 61 years old and still doing long rides. In fact he is planning to do RAAM this year with 3 other riders. So with care, you to should be able to ride!
    Nancy