Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Cyclist Shot

Cyclist Shot

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sad article, the cyclist behaved poorly from the sounds of it and disobeyed laws, however that is not something to lose your life over. Road rage to the nth degree and now a rider is dead. This took place in Taylor Michigan about 50 miles to the southeast of my community.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...list-in-taylor
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

This is terribly sad.

This one happened only a mile from where we live. I cross that intersection by bike frequently and I certainly do not ignore the traffic/pedesrtrian signals. Scary how people 'solve' disputes these days.

Be careful out there,
    P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Some of comments to the news article reflect still that..it was ok to shoot ???
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Some of comments to the news article reflect still that..it was ok to shoot ???
    Welcome to MI.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Tragic and frightening.

The incident is sickening and even more so, the comments.

That is why I NEVER read the comments - else I wouldn't ever ride the road again!

Quote Originally Posted by pinsonp2 View Post
    This one happened only a mile from where we live. I cross that intersection by bike frequently and I certainly do not ignore the traffic/pedesrtrian signals. Scary how people 'solve' disputes these days.

Be careful out there,
    P2
    Oh wow pinsonp2, that must be really frightening so close to home
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    That is why I NEVER read the comments - else I wouldn't ever ride the road again!
    There's definitely some regional stuff at play when it comes to comments on mass media sites re: articles about cycling-related accidents. In some news comments things are more balanced and objective...I notice this is particularly true in areas where cycling is very popular, like much of the west coast. The same sorts of scenarios yield very different responses in other areas. I see the atmosphere in the media towards cyclists on the western side of MI improving (in large part due to efforts made by bicycling advocates in the greater Grand Rapids area), so hopefully that will carry across the state in the future.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

i hope the murderer spends the rest of his life behind bars. (and I know he won't)
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    There's definitely some regional stuff at play when it comes to comments on mass media sites re: articles about cycling-related accidents. In some news comments things are more balanced and objective...I notice this is particularly true in areas where cycling is very popular, like much of the west coast. The same sorts of scenarios yield very different responses in other areas. I see the atmosphere in the media towards cyclists on the western side of MI improving (in large part due to efforts made by bicycling advocates in the greater Grand Rapids area), so hopefully that will carry across the state in the future.
    Positive change takes a long time, several years at minimum. But then there are some folks who simply will be angry no matter where they are, and still unable to understand boundaries to expressing one's anger.

There are was a terrible cyclist fatality a few years ago...in downtown Toronto, a place where there are enough cyclists daily, where the cyclist did slap I think, a nearby car that got too close to him while in slower/waiting traffic lane. The driver was a former politician who drove off intentionally, not caring about the cyclist very close, after an exchange of yelling with cyclist and I believe the cyclist fell, etc. Anyway, died. Another example of road rage with sad consequences.

But if there was a gun involving a cyclist being a shot at, that would be considered..just wierd/outrageous in Canada. But no better than a driver knocking down a cyclist intentionally with a car.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Kinder gentler nation...

Get mad and shoot to kill. There are no words to express my sadness at our collective insanity and love with guns, killing, and hate.

This narcissism is destroying our society: Don't have it your way, then shoot the person who is in your way. It's not the way to conduct our lives in any society.

Cyclist was riding illegally on sidewalk, ignored "red", rode into traffic and hit side of truck.

Driver stopped immediately, cyclist punched him several times, driver shot cyclist in self defense, driver stayed and cooperated with police.

Just because someone is riding a bike doesn't automatically make them a saint.

Just because someone is driving a large truck doesn't automatically make them a sinner.
    Existence is empty, but I am full of myself.

So true, so true. And I'll add that just because someone is carrying a gun doesn't automatically make them evil or a law-breaker.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/aug/...1100-vi-44662/

Quote Originally Posted by BodhiTree View Post
    Cyclist was riding illegally on sidewalk, ignored "red", rode into traffic and hit side of truck.

Driver stopped immediately, cyclist punched him several times, driver shot cyclist in self defense, driver stayed and cooperated with police.

Just because someone is riding a bike doesn't automatically make them a saint.

Just because someone is driving a large truck doesn't automatically make them a sinner.
    Last edited by LovelyGirl; 08-30-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    Wherever I go, there I am!

2012 Rivendell Betty Foy