Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by traveller_62
    Denise,

What time of year did you ride the Going to the Sun Highway? I was thinking that late August would be a good time (probably not this year, but maybe next).

I was in Glacier for the first time two years ago at the end of May and did a lot of hiking in the snow. We were lucky to be there when they opened the Highway up for the first time of the season. The snow banks at Logan Pass were amazing. They were something like 15-20 feet deep!
    I rode it in 1998 in late July. That was my first solo tour - if you're interested, my journal with pics is at http://denise1998rockies.crazyguyonabike.com July was a good time - although the year that I was there it was unseasonably hot - but I think August would be fine too.

I'd love to be there when they first open the highway - that would be awesome. I understand that they will allow bikes on the road on sections that have already been cleared while they are clearing the upper sections. What a fantastic place.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Paydays will be in my stash on the doubles for sure!

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois
    And on the whole food subject - I re-discovered another great ride food yeaterday: Paydays!! Salty, sweet - very good.

Sarah
    Are you hearing the Twilight Zone theme again? PayDays are a stock item in our household (ask Jo, Veronica, Kim, et al). Bubba always carries extra. We buy the snack size ones by the multiple bag-fulls. Only place I can find them is Rite-Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Are you hearing the Twilight Zone theme again? PayDays are a stock item in our household (ask Jo, Veronica, Kim, et al). Bubba always carries extra. We buy the snack size ones by the multiple bag-fulls. Only place I can find them is Rite-Aid.
    Definitely hearing the Twilight Zone. I had thought of them before, and then when I was sitting on the stool at the bar at the Junction, there they were! It was a perfect end of ride food. And the dates/walnuts were great, too.

I find I don't eat a lot on rides. I drink a lot of sports drink, though. For 105 miles yesterday, I had 4 bottles, most of 2 cans of pepsi, a v8, 8 walnut/dates, a small chunk of fig bread, 1 bag of clif blocks, the payday and a cup of chicken corn chowder at quiznos. It was really a perfect amount of food as I was never bonky, but I am sure I burned more than I ate and I'll tell you I had a big dinner.

I just bought a pack of Necco Wafers and a box of Good and Plentys for my 300k. I like having any candy thing in my bento box to munch on. Jelly Belly Sport Beans are my current favorite, but I like Sharkies a lot, too.

I bought the dates, still need the walnuts. Still need some sushi. Have a choc milk and vanilla creme milkshake milk. And Endurance Gatorade. I _hate_ Gatorade for running, but like it for biking.

I _almost_ bought Corn Nuts.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

I'm getting hungry just reading this thread (trying to work out what the optimal eating/drinking strategy is this afternoon for the 3 1/2 hours between now and tonights 5 k fun run) ..
    Anyway can someone enlighten us 'foreigners' as to what paydays are

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi girl
    Anyway can someone enlighten us 'foreigners' as to what paydays are
    Real wholesome crunchy roasted peanuts and sweet chewy caramel create the deliciously satisfying taste of PAYDAY peanut caramel bar. Salty-sweet, chewy-crunchy...PAYDAY'S truly unique combination of ingredients is the great tasting way to keep you going.

Yes - I stole it from the Payday website.....
    Last edited by snapdragen; 03-25-2007 at 07:09 AM.

I think Payday has finally caught on that they are considered the "poor man's power bar" (as a friend of mine calls them) because the other day in Longs I saw that they have "Power Protein Payday" - or something like that - extra protein, and - whaddya know - same price as a Power bar or Cliff bar...

But the regular old Payday is still well under a buck!

Red face Cut that Hammer Gel!

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    One of the things I'm doing on my weekend rides is checking out various food options ...
    These last two weeks I've been giving various flavors of Hammer Gel a try. I don't really like the apple cinnamon flavor. Raspberry is good, but kind of sweet. Today I had the espresso. I liked that. Veronica

Veronica,

This is my first post, but had to tell you, I love Hammer Gel. Just buy it in a bottle instead of a foil packet and then cut the sweet stuff by mixing raspberry or apple cinnamon with half "plain" or "vanilla" flavor. Takes the sweet down to a manageable level.

I trained for a double century last summer. Alas, foiled by weather, but I'm still pretty proud of my 100+ mile training rides, and Hammer Gel was just the ticket when I was too lazy to pack food or late in the ride when my guts couldn't handle solid stuff any more.

Granny on!
    Last edited by CyclaSutra; 02-17-2006 at 01:30 PM. Reason: still trying to figure out how this works....