Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please remember...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just got word a cyclist was struck by a car and killed this morning near where DH and I ride often and only a few miles from our home. Not a whole lot of detail at this point, but it's a sobering to think of how safe I always felt in that area, now quite shaken.

They are still trying to identify the rider. He didn't have ID with him... Remember to always carry your identification please!!

Sad day. Very sad.

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
    Just got word a cyclist was struck by a car and killed this morning near where DH and I ride often and only a few miles from our home. Not a whole lot of detail at this point, but it's a sobering to think of how safe I always felt in that area, now quite shaken.

They are still trying to identify the rider. He didn't have ID with him... Remember to always carry your identification please!!

Sad day. Very sad.

Shannon
    Sympathies and prayers to the family and friends...in Richmond the biking community is still reeling from a recent hit and run, the driver came forward eventually.......but originally claimed he thought he hit a deer.....right- with giant cracks on the driver side windshield he mistook a beautiful young lady for a deer?! .......

So sorry to hear this RoadTrip....TealTrek - YIKES!

That's enough to shake someone up.

We had a young girl hit by a driver, 13 years old I think, and the strangest part of all of it is that it happened last Friday afternoon and the person was not identified until the next day. How on earth could the parents not be missing their kid? Unfathomable! While the bicycle was completly under the SUV with only handlebars sticking out, the girl was not killed but seriously injured. From the story it was the bicyclists fault and the young driver was hysterical over the accident but had no way to stop in time as the cyclist jutted around a stopped truck without looking into the traffic that was crossing the road. Happened in Roseville about 35 miles from here.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Very sad - there was also a cyclist hit and killed here over the weekend as well. Hit and run in Wellesley. The police say they have identified the driver but haven't realized any details as to who it was, and why he/she didn't stop.

They've identified the rider. Apparently he was rear-ended by the car. Their was no mention of light/flashers on the bike or rider. It was really early. As tragic as this was, it was completely avoidable, either distracted driver or cyclist without proper equipment.

They have identified the driver of the car who killed the cyclist in Wellesly. They are investigating what happened and probably deciding how to charge him. This crash has received a lot of publicity, mostly pro cyclist. Much more than for the man in my club who was killed last yr. I've ridden in this spot, and it is busy, but lots of riders around.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

That is so sad. Where I live, we seem to have even more pedestrians hit and/or killed, so I try not to dwell on these incidents because I can neither stop riding my bike nor walking across the street. It takes one or both parties doing something wrong at the wrong time and seems so senseless, but is a grim reminder that we need to do all *we* can as cyclists to stay safe.
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

There was a memorial ride tonight for the fallen rider.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&type=1&ref=nf

Shannon

Horrible.

All sides need to be more careful. Cyclists need to be visible, 6:15 am can still be quite dark, or very long shadowed and hard for drivers to see. We need to address visibility at all times. And drivers need to understand that they are not alone on the roads and need to expect cyclists 'out of nowhere', and be tolerant.

When the mix is wrong, bad things happen. Sad. I still pass that ghost-bike every day on the way to work, it's been over a year now. Sobering reminder that we are the bottom of the food chain out there.

Be safe.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Quote Originally Posted by tzvia View Post
    Cyclists need to be visible, 6:15 am can still be quite dark, or very long shadowed and hard for drivers to see. We need to address visibility at all times.
    Last fall I started to ride early in the morning, when it is still pitch dark -- I will see dawn half way through my ride. I find unbelievable how many people ride in absolute darkness with no lights whatsoever. Yesterday (about 5:30AM) I saw 4 people on time trial bikes and only two had lights. The other two were invisible. They passed me and I was watching, thinking a car driver would not have a chance of seeing them in time. When two "light-less" cyclists were in the back, it was worse, as they blocked the lights of the guys who had lights.

I experience the same thing, Tzivia. I ride at the same time at least one day a week. I cannot believe how many cyclists don't have lights; some not even a back blinkie! I've had more than one scare the crap out of me when they came up behind me or passed me.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I experience the same thing, Tzivia. I ride at the same time at least one day a week. I cannot believe how many cyclists don't have lights; some not even a back blinkie! I've had more than one scare the crap out of me when they came up behind me or passed me.
    We had an elderly gentleman who rode all around the township at night and without lights. Finally after several warnings our PD gave him a ticket. We caught a lot of flack over ticketing him. Two months later he was struck and killed at night. I felt sad for him and rode in the ride of silence in his honor, he was somebody's son. But I also feel horrible for the driver who has to live with that accident.

A couple of days ago a local veterinarian was struck on his morning ride to work in Fowlerville Michigan, it was 8 am and plenty light. The driver was momentarily distracted. That's all it took to send this guy to the hospital where he still remains.

http://www.livingstondaily.com/artic...-struck-by-car
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011