Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm just laughing as I remember the first bike a bought a few years ago...a Diamondback comfort bike that weighed a ton.

I wheeled it out of the store, and tried every which way to get it in the back of my car. I could barely lift it. It was the middle of summer and I was drenched in sweat, grease all over me and the car.
    I haaaaated that bike right then and there.

Now I can get my road bike in the back in one swift movement.

If the bike is dirty after a ride, like yesterday when I was riding on a wet rail-trail after heavy rain, I wipe it down before putting it in the car.

I keep a roll of paper towel in the back of the car all the time. Also a box of tissues and a plastic bag in the corner that serves as a trash bag.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

An old towel or blanket on the bottom helps keep mud and grease off the car. But they can fold up and move around if you are not careful.

Another option is to buy a outdoor mat that is cut to size at the hardware store. Its thin but doesn't fold on you and not terribly expensive if you look around. Also easier to pull out and shake out dried mud, hose down if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    In theory I could put the bike in the night before, but I don't want to inspire a thief since my car doesn't live in the garage.
    I have locked my bike inside my car to a grab bar when having it in the car overnight.

Also, maybe a sheet (or tablecloth) instead of a blanket: Easier to manage.
    Giant TCR C3 :: Specialized Jett 143
    Specialized FSR :: Terry Butterfly
    Vintage Giant Road Bike :: Specialized Lithia

I never leave my bike in the car overnight.

I cover the bike with a blanket that is the same color as my car interior, so you can see there's something lumpy in there but you don't know what it is.

The first year I had the car, I had a vinyl shower curtain under the bike to protect the car from dirt. After a while the shower curtain got some holes in it, so I tossed it and since then I don't put anything down. I haven't had a problem since then with dirt inside the car.

The blanket that covers the bike, however, has plenty of grease stains on it.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Well, it wasn't pretty, but I managed to wrangle it in with only one spot on my pants. My bike is on the heavy side so I think next time I'll have my partner help me. I ended up putting it 3/4 of the way in and then pulling it the rest of the way in. I'm not sure how I feel about it resting on the pedal and handle bar. I'm assuming that's ok.

The other thing I do: I have a nylon re-usable shopping bag positioned so that when I put the bike in the back, the front tire lands on it and I can slide it all forward.

This helps!
    Giant TCR C3 :: Specialized Jett 143
    Specialized FSR :: Terry Butterfly
    Vintage Giant Road Bike :: Specialized Lithia

I don't do anything special, except put my bike in, rear wheel first, derailleur side up. My bike is really light.
    I used to have a small sedan where I put the seats down and slid the bike in the back, through the hatch. No taking wheels off, or anything. My bike is small, though. No cover on the car or the bike and frankly, I didn't care if a little grease got on the upholstery. Sometimes, I had to work a little to get the bars in the right position to get in there. Now I have a station wagon, with black insides, so the grease part is a moot point. My second bike, with the couplers is a bit heavier, mostly because of the rack on the back, so it feels awkward to put in the car, but it's not hard.
    On Mondays, I sometimes ride with my last client, who lives about 5 miles from me. So, I end up with my bike in the back all day, as I don't have time to go home first. Every other week, the person I see before him lives in the projects in Lawrence, and I never once have worried about my bike. Maybe I'm naive, but, you can barely see inside the car, and the bike is kind of in there, in between all my therapy "toys."
    I used to be more worried about my car, but then i saw that an Audi didn't really stand out, as a good portion of the drivers are using the profits of the drug trade to drive really nice cars.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I used to put my MTB in the back of my Fit before I got a roof rack. I did many of the things mentioned here as well, bought cheapo black bath towels at WalMart to wrap the bike in and protect the sides of the car. Scratched up one of the panels when some part was rubbing on the side of the car in the trunk. Another thing to watch out for is your back bumper. I forget if Rav4's have a bumper protector on the top (it was optional on my Fit) and if you're having trouble hiking it up into the car it's really easy to scratch the paint off if the pedal catches the lip of the bumper. After riding I know I was too tired to lift the pedal up and over a few times and have some nice paint chips on my bumper, unfortunately it was black under the silver paint so it looks really bad and the dealer is always out of touch up paint to buy.

Consider keeping an eye on craigslist for used bike racks. REI has car racks on sale right now (it's only once or twice a year) so as people upgrade you might find their old racks for sale. Most of my racks came secondhand as my mom's boyfriend upgraded all of his gear the last few years.
    2011 Trek Lexa SLX "Silver Surfer"
    1998 Specialized HardRock AX FS

One thing I didn't mention, if you want to protect your car from stains, protect the seat backs as well as the surface underneath your bike. I have way more scuffage from tire dirt on the seat backs, than on the carpet over the spare tire.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My friend has a RAV. She takes the front wheel off and lays the bike in the back. I put my bike in the back of my car all the time, with wheel on. Definitely put the chain side out. That's about it.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

I have fork mounts attached to a piece of wood lying in the back of the Rav. Front wheel off, rear wheel rolls over wood and fork attaches to mount. Easy breezy, and takes less than a minute. http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...301730__400172
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    I have fork mounts attached to a piece of wood lying in the back of the Rav. Front wheel off, rear wheel rolls over wood and fork attaches to mount. Easy breezy, and takes less than a minute. http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...301730__400172
    So, does this mean the bike is upright? If so, how do you keep it from falling over? I can see how the fork mount keeps the front of the bike from tipping, but what about the rear?

"I have fork mounts attached to a piece of wood lying in the back of the Rav. Front wheel off, rear wheel rolls over wood and fork attaches to mount. Easy breezy, and takes less than a minute."

is there any way to attach the board to the seat-cleats in the floor in a van? I would like the bike to be more stable in case of quick stop.

fs

Quote Originally Posted by fetchspot View Post
    "I have fork mounts attached to a piece of wood lying in the back of the Rav. Front wheel off, rear wheel rolls over wood and fork attaches to mount. Easy breezy, and takes less than a minute."

is there any way to attach the board to the seat-cleats in the floor in a van? I would like the bike to be more stable in case of quick stop.

fs
    if you have carpet in the back, just put velcro on the underside of the board. works great! I have a board like that and don't use it unless I need to carry two or three bikes, as my car is too short... I have to let the bike seat down, and on the mountain bike I have to compress the front shock to get it in. Believe me that is not going anywhere once it is in! It leaves nice impressions on the ceiling too...
    Specialized Oura or Romin Evo Saddles