Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Carrying the bike in the back of the car

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm going to start bringing my bike to work with me and stop at a local park on the way home. The bike will need to go in the back of my Rav. I don't have a bike carrier yet, but I'd still put it in the back because frankly I wouldn't trust the bike being on the back of my car all day while I'm in the office.

I'm going to have to lay the bike on it's side with the backseat down. Are ther any precautions I should take or any particular way I should be putting it in? I'm guessing it's better if the chain side is up.

I transport my bike in the back of my car (Prius) all the time. It could fit with both wheels on, but I find it easier to maneuver if I remove the front wheel. I put it fork-first with the drivetrain side up. Someone recently told me it would be easier to handle if I put the rear wheel in first, but I haven't tried that yet.

It you take either wheel off, make sure you remember to put everything in the car before you drive off. A friend once left her front wheel behind after removing it to put her bike inside the car. Fortunately it was still sitting where she left it when she went back to look for it. I always check around all sides of the car before closing the hatchback, just to make sure I haven't left anything on the ground.

Another thing I've learned is to avoid wearing light-colored clothing, especially pants, if I'm going to be getting the bike in and out of the car while wearing street clothes. It's easy to get your clothes dirty while handling the bike, especially while you're still getting used to lifting it in and out of the car.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I always do chain side up.

One mistake I made was letting the handle bars and brake on the front end bang on the side of the frame, when it swung over itself, on some bumpy roads. Of course, I did not know it until I stopped but, I had a nice chip in the paint from it.

Now, I cover her up with a blanket
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

Might have to get creative with the clothing. I wear khakis to work. In theory I could put the bike in the night before, but I don't want to inspire a thief since my car doesn't live in the garage. Maybe put the bike in before I get dressed in the morning. :-)

The blanket is an excellent suggestion. We have a few spare I could use.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Here's a video I made a couple of years ago of loading my bike into my Prius. I've had a friend's 57 cm road bike in that car as well, so it isn't only small bikes that will fit.

My flat bar fat tire hybrid won't go with the front wheel on. Too much stuff sticking perpendicular to each other. Still, either bike goes in easier rear wheel first, as shown, so you can steer it directly in without trying to keep the forks from flopping.

When you take the bike out, check your quick-releases - I've had them come loose once or twice from inattentive loading/unloading. And just like parking the bike, if you have a wireless cadence or wheel sensor, make sure it's not inline with the pickup so you don't drain the battery.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 08-27-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Ohhh, thanks for the video. Very helpful!
    2013 Electra Verse

I have a Rav4 as well, and also transport my bike inside the car. I always place it on its side (chain-side up), and prefer to set it in the car backwards. It takes me an extra minute or so to position it and back it into place, but taking it out is much easier for me. My rear windows are tinted, but I still cover the bike with a flannel sheet so it isn't so visible. (Hopefully it doesn't look like a body...)
    Last edited by Kubla; 08-27-2012 at 10:47 AM.

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

Muirenn, that's a good point. I've personally never carried my bikes on a really hot day, but have wondered how the extreme interior heat would affect the tires and/or other parts of the bike. Thank you for mentioning it.

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

I don't think you mentioned if it's a mountain or road bike... If mountain you might think about a mat or protector for the car, as you can end up with quite a bit of dirt after a slightly muddy ride! I have a piece of canvas cut to fit the back of my Santa Fe. It goes in nice and easy chain side up. I have learned to be careful loading it, so I can load with my khaki's and not get dirty.

BTW I have had helmets start to melt over 100F. Maybe they were already partly defective, but the foam just started melting for lack of a better word. It looked really weird. The bike store guy was impressed when I took it in and asked if I should replace it... (yes) So I take my helmet inside with me now if it's going to be much over 85-90 outside.
    Specialized Oura or Romin Evo Saddles

I always put mine in the back of the car, chain up, rear wheel in first.

I have really light interior, so I put an old sheet in the back of the car. I don't have to worry about wet, dirty tires marking up the back.

Also, I kind of wrap the edges of the sheet over the handle bars and tires and it seems to help the bike from shifting around when I go around a corner, or if i stop short.

My bike is a mountain bike. Road bike in the spring hopefully :-)
    2013 Electra Verse

I can't help as I don't have a Rav or a mountain bike, but just noticed we both used the "Birder" tag line. I just added mine last week, so you probably had yours first. I'll be happy to change it....

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleOH View Post
    I can't help as I don't have a Rav or a mountain bike, but just noticed we both used the "Birder" tag line. I just added mine last week, so you probably had yours first. I'll be happy to change it....
    Nope, don't change it. All birders are family And for that matter you could very well have had it first.

One of my big concerns with getting a mountain bike was that I may try paying more attention to the birds than trail. Birders are known for sudden inexplicable stops. I was trying to figure out the best place to keep my bins and camera
    Last edited by thekarens; 08-27-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    2013 Electra Verse

Yes, carrying bins and camera at the ready are tough on ANY bike, but I'm sure easier on my MUP. I'm going to put a rack and trunk on mine. They won't be handy, but maybe that's a GOOD thing.

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but grease isn't the only reason to put the bike in chain side up. If you put that side down, you risk damaging the drivetrain (if you bend the derailleur hanger, your shifting will get screwed up).

I put mine in rear wheel first, too.
    The Warrior Princess: 2008 Jamis Xenith Pro / Bontrager Affinity 1 (men's)
    2006 Trek Fuel EX 9 / Bontrager Race Luxe
    2007 Trek 520 / Serfas Terazzo
    Amelia Pond (She travels long distances, has great adventures, and she's a redhead): 2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 / Bontrager Affinity 2 (men's)