Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you guys think?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a friend looking for a bike. She's brand new to cycling. She's looking for an entry to mid-level bike. Because she is in her mid=forties this may be the last bike she ever owns (of course we all know better don't we). The area we ride is hilly but not mountainous. I ride a triple...I need a triple and I am in better shape. The question isn't about triple vs compact double. She went to an LBS which happens to be a Trek store. The salesman showed her some bikes. She asked if they were triples. He told her that Trek doesn't make triples. WHAT!!!!! Should I tell her to run? I'm kinda pissed to tell you the truth.
    2008 Specialized Globe Sport
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite

There's another recent discussion about compact double vs triple around here somewhere...

I'd tell her to ride some bikes from the Trek store and then ride a bunch of bikes from other places.

Found it. some good info here: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=48594
    Last edited by malkin; 08-24-2012 at 06:30 PM.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

That's not the issue. The issue is the guy lied to her and told her Trek does not make triples. I think he was trying to push a sale and that is just so shady. She knows to try out several different makes and models. I'm going with her tomorrow.

A lot of manufacturers have stopped specing their road bikes with triples in favor of compacts or standard doubles. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Trek is one of them. Just take a look at their website to verify one way or another.

You say you don't want to discuss compact versus triple but the fact is--and I urge you to read some past threads on this--that a compact can easily be set up to replicate the climbing gears offered by the average triple set up. So I have to take issue with the assumption that someone needs a triple versus a compact for climbing. There are other benefits to a triple (and draw backs) but I think it's important not to perpetuate misconceptions about what those benefits are.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I just checked for myself. I could not find any Trek road bike speced with a triple. Their Lexa line, in particular, all come with compacts. There's one bike in their FX line that offers a triple, as does their touring bike. But if the LBS was speaking strictly of road bikes, I do not think your friend was lied to.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

My 2011 Lexa SLX is a triple (great in Seattle!) so unless that was a 2012 change that guy was mistaken.
    2011 Trek Lexa SLX "Silver Surfer"
    1998 Specialized HardRock AX FS

I don't care if she ends up with a triple or a compact if someone takes the time to evaluate her needs and makes a suggestion based on that. I did go to the website and Trek has triples all over the place. What I do care about is a salesperson lying about availability of requested equipment instead of perhaps discussing with her the pros and cons of each and letting her make the decision. It makes me wonder if they are otherwise trustworthy.

The Domane 2.0 comes as a triple too. As does the Madone 2.1
    This one too. I've not seen it at the store I was in, but it's kind of cool.
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...rip/crossrip/# They call it a 'fitness' road bike, so I could see how they maybe didn't consider it as a road bike. But no way the Madone isn't a road bike by anyone's definition. I'm more inclined to think the guy is ill-informed rather than lying, but who knows. I can see how it would alter your opinion. I was helping a friend bike shop and the Cannondale shop kept trash talking Treks. It turned me off a bit from them. I wanted to say - you have an amazing bike, it stands fine on its own without you trash talking your competition.

I've started looking around for a new bike and I did see that there were no triples in the Trek store I was looking at. I need to test ride and am trying to not convince myself I need a triple, based on all I've learned here. But I need to pedal up some hills to really convince myself.
    Last edited by Possegal; 08-24-2012 at 06:57 PM.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I just checked for myself. I could not find any Trek road bike speced with a triple. Their Lexa line, in particular, all come with compacts. There's one bike in their FX line that offers a triple, as does their touring bike. But if the LBS was speaking strictly of road bikes, I do not think your friend was lied to.
    There are 4 models in the Lexa line. All but the cheapest one have available triples. I'm looking at the website right now.

Armed with the info that Trek does make triples, I don't know if I'd go with that LBS. Or I'd proceed with caution, go with your friend and start quizzing the guy and see if he's reluctant for some reason or just completely unaware of the product (maybe he's the new kid?). What I would worry most about is if the guy is telling an inexperienced customer "oh hey no Trek doesn't make triples" because the store only carries the compacts and just wants to make a sale on what they have in stock. I had a rude experience today after work at a not so local BS and it's the second obnoxious encounter I've had at that particular location and I'm about to write them off my list even for quick grabs of basic supplies (tubes/tires/whatever). I'd rather go to their location across town where I hadn't gotten attitude in the past. (The attitude was totally reminiscent of a woman trying to buy a car, go sell used cars if you want to be that way! amirite?)
    2011 Trek Lexa SLX "Silver Surfer"
    1998 Specialized HardRock AX FS

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
    There are 4 models in the Lexa line. All but the cheapest one have available triples. I'm looking at the website right now.
    Yeah, I see the Lexa line gives the choice of a compact double or a triple in those bikes. The Madone 3 and 4 series is only offered in a triple.

The salesman was careless at best.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Thank you Tricky. That's what I'm getting at. I think he was just trying to make a sale on what they have in stock without really trying to help her make the best decision. I just want her to get a bike she's happy with and comfortable on and can handle the terrain. If it's pink and purple with a flowered basket and she's happy so be it.

Yes, a lot of manufacturers have stopped spec-ing bikes with triples. But Trek does make them, and it is possible to get one. The salesperson is either ill-informed at best, or lying (to sell what's in the shop) at worst.

She should walk away.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    The salesman was careless at best.
    That's what worries me. I understand it's a business but you should at least care a little that you are doing right by your customers.

Interested in hearing other opinions on the shop guy's behavior but I have a 6 hour drive to a regatta in the AM and need to go to bed. Will check back in tomorrow.