Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

An abundance of tahini

To disable ads, please log-in.

I accidentally ordered three jars of tahini from the online grocer.

I assume unopened tahini lasts a while, but I'd love any suggestions on what I can do with the bounty of my mistake.

My tahini uses are: hummus/baba ganoush, a sauce for baked fish, and a dip-dressing with lemon juice, etc.

Any other ideas?

I made a warm snow pea and chicken salad this week. The dressing uses tahini. I followed the recipe, but added thinly sliced red pepper and water chestnuts, too. You could doctor it anyway you want. It was good and made for decent leftovers, too. You could serve it as is, or put it over a bit of brown rice or noodles.
    Last edited by indysteel; 08-24-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Oops; the link I originally provided was to something else.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

This is my favorite recipe using tahini. These make great snack bars for when your cycling.

Homemade Cereal Bars

4 cups puffed rice cereal
    1 cup dried cranberries
    ½ cup sunflower seeds
    ½ cup pumpkin seeds
    ½ cup tahini
    ½ cup packed brown sugar
    ½ cup honey
    1 teaspoon vanilla

In large bowl, combine cereal, cranberries, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and set aside. Combine tahini, brown sugar and honey in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until bubbling, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Add vanilla and stir until blended. Pour the tahini mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until coated. Transfer the mixture to a large cookie sheet that has been coated with Pam or lined with parchment paper. Press down firmly. Cool for one hour or longer. Cut into 12 bars and place each bar in a snack bag. I usually store them in the refrigerator.

Sesame noodles? (Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, red pepper flakes/chili oil, garlic and ginger.) Make falafel and make a dipping sauce?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

These may both be odd suggestions, and they certainly won't use much, but I like it with apple slices (instead of peanut/almond butter) sometimes. I also stir it into plain yogurt and either use that as veggie dip, or just eat the yogurt/tahini as is (sometimes with raisins).

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
    ...Homemade Cereal Bars...
    Also, these sound great, and I have almost everything in the house

As long as we're on odd dessert suggestions, back in the day we used to mix tahini with carob powder and eat it by the spoonful.

But for future reference, I never buy tahini any more, it's fast, easy and much fresher to grind sesame seeds in the mini-blender as needed.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks for these suggestions -- I'll probably try all of them (well, perhaps not the tahini mixed with carob). Oak, where do you buy sesame seeds in bulk? I looked in Chinatown and didn't find them.

Heh ... these must've been some of the posts that didn't get backed up. Replying again in case you didn't see it and also just FTR ... most natural food stores have 12-oz bags of Arrowhead Mills brand sesame seeds - they're available hulled and unhulled, though any particular store usually has just one or the other. Amish/Mennonite bulk stores sometimes have them, also.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler