Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Smile Bike shorts and seat pad question.

To disable ads, please log-in.

I used to have a big butt, padded saddle. After reading here, I realized it was causing me to move forward on the seat and the nose go up my who wha because the seat was so wide my legs would move me forward. I got a new non padded seat (bontrager infinity) which I love. I am used to it. If forget about it. When I use my cycling shorts, it feels great. When I use regular shorts, I just notice the seat when I first get on, but then it's forgotten, for the most part; maybe an occasionally adjustment back not he seat but nothing big. So no real issues.

My questions are: with not using a padded short, am I causing damage to any parts down there, even though there's no pain or burning?

Cycle shorts are so expensive and I don't want to invest in them while I am still overweight. So, what the difference between using a chamois short and a saddle pad? I know I don't want my saddle to be cushy, but don't cycling shorts do that? Can you get saddle pads that are thin?

Or does anyone use a removable chamois in regular shorts and can recommend one?

Thanks!

You can buy shorts liners(padded undies)
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I vote liners over undies, I have a pair of undies and they are to tight around the leg opening causing circulation issues when pedaling!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I think the thing you most need to be concerned with damage-wise would be numbness. Otherwise, if it doesn't hurt, you're fine. There are women on this forum who ride lots of miles sans chamois, and have for years.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    There are women on this forum who ride lots of miles sans chamois, and have for years.
    If the saddle fits, and you don't need padded shorts to compensate for the shortcomings of the saddle, you are golden.

Don't sweat it. If you are happy, it's good.

(for chafing issues, you can wear plain old unpadded compression shorts like runners and soccer players)
    Existence is empty, but I am full of myself.

Don't Always wear cycling (padded) shorts. Can't really see they make a difference. No extra padding on my saddle
    Cycling is the new running.

Visit my blog: http://www.riverofmuscadinespublishing.com/