Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Old Hard Rock destination?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have an old Specialized Hard Rock that is at least 20 years old. It hasn't been ridden into the ground and still looks pretty good. I just got a new mtb and am trying to decide what to do with the Hard Rock. My grandkids are into bmx and motocross. I think if I gave it to one of them I just know they would just destroy it. Somehow I think I would regret that.

I could sell it using the classifieds if anyone still rides a non suspension mtn bike. Someone told me it might be worth $100.

Any advice or suggestions?
    Shelley, Great Grandma Beginner
    1991 Specialized Hard Rock
    2012 Trek Superfly100 AL Elite

Occasional blogging at: My Mountain Home

Can you donate it to a charity? We have a local start-up charity that gives bikes to poor kids. We did this with 2 gently used Schwinn mtn. bikes we had. The people who we brought them to pass them along to inner city kids so that they have transportation and fun bikes.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

That's a wonderful idea! Thanks!

Boise Bicycle Project would love the donation.
    Also the hardrock is seeing a resurgence as an adventure bike, we have converted several recently
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Boise Bicycle Project would love the donation.
    Also the hardrock is seeing a resurgence as an adventure bike, we have converted several recently
    What is an adventure bike? Do I want to be an adventure biker?

I have an old 1996 Hard Rock, while crazy heavy I've heard they make decent conversions into commuting bikes, though I don't recall mine having fender mounts. We also have some neat charities in Seattle that you can donate old bikes to and inner city kids learn how to do the maintenance on them and get to keep one after they finish the program.
    2011 Trek Lexa SLX "Silver Surfer"
    1998 Specialized HardRock AX FS

Quote Originally Posted by sashadieken View Post
    What is an adventure bike? Do I want to be an adventure biker?
    in our world an adventure bike typically has racks, maybe fenders (depends on the bike) and wide tires but not knobby tires. It travels very well on dirt and gravel roads and non technical trails. Many have swept back handlebars, rigid front forks.

As you are in Idaho - we rode from Jordon Valley to Grand View - Owyhee scenic bylands road - beautiful and perfect for Adventure bikes. (pictures and video on our website)
    We were planning to ride from Boise to Sun Valley on adventure bikes but the fires have pushed that trip to next year. The loon lake loop is another trail that an adventure bike would be excellent for.

With a few modifications, If you think you would use it than it is worth keeping in your stable
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Opening the doors to a new (or old) world! I have a rack on it, with a good sized bag on it, and a handlebar bag but no fenders. We used to go backpacking with it. I'd better hang on to it for another year and see what happens.

One thing I'm thinking is that it would be a great bike to take to Redfish on Labor Day. I was planning on taking the new bike, but then was having all sorts of worries about it being stolen. When we went in to 20 Mile Lake, we would ride the first 3 miles then stash the bikes in the brush. I wouldn't do that with the Superfly!

I enjoyed your pictures--and your whole site.