Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Well there's really no off season. They take a little time off after their last race of the year, then they start training for the next year.

And they don't just test for performance-enhancing drugs. Ulrich was suspended for testing positive after being at a dance club while he was recovering from an injury. And IIRC Boonen has tested positive for cocaine.
    Thanks, ny biker....I was actually responding to the NBA testing, but I appreciate your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    Yes, they do test. In fact,their new contract reads that they can be tested 2X during the off season for performance enhancing drugs. They cannot be tested in the arena before a game, however. Probably don't want to hold up the television audience. Can your hear Marv Alberts, "Hold on fans, Steve Nash is peeing in a cup..."

Signed - rabid NBA fan
    Any idea why they do not test after each game, a couple of players from each team? In many competitions, including cycling, that's when athletes are tested, not before the game/competition. In cycling, the stage winner and the GC leader are tested in every stage, plus a handful more of riders. You could equally pick the player that scored the most points for each team and a couple more, randomly.

Having done my graduate degree at a university where football was big, it was noticeable how players became notoriously more muscular during the summer. I doubt there is any testing there.

In the NBA they can test a player 4X/year. They are looking for PEDs like HGH which would not be used prior to a game but rather throughout the season. HGH would be detectable well after it was used.

I know that they tested after the games in the Olympics. Kobe Bryant was complaining that he had to wait around 2 hours after a game and he really needed to "go"
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Here's an interesting perspective...

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/co...9d05_blog.html

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I picked out this quote:

"Nobody needs to cry for me. I’m going to be great,” Armstrong said.

Lance the victim. You've got to be kidding me.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post

Well put.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I'm a Lance fan. I really have no idea why. I think all this is getting to the point of ridiculousness. Besides, if he did it they all did it.

Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    I'm a Lance fan. I really have no idea why. I think all this is getting to the point of ridiculousness. Besides, if he did it they all did it.
    So what is your point? If one person cheats on an exam, is it ok as long as others do also? If he cheated and everyone else cheated, then they are all cheaters.

Quote Originally Posted by roo4 View Post
    So what is your point? If one person cheats on an exam, is it ok as long as others do also? If he cheated and everyone else cheated, then they are all cheaters.
    No, not saying that at all.

Not all who wander are lost

All top level athletes are egotistical fatheads. You don't become a professional athlete by being humble. You are chosen at a young age and told how wonderful you are. You are mentored, catered to and coached to believe you are the best and if your best isn't cutting it you can and will be better, because you are
    Something special. Sure they stand in front of us and say all the right things, thank the fans, kiss the babies, sign the autographs but they still think their sh*t is ice cream. Does that make them bad people? No. Some people will love em and some will hate them

As far as lance Armstrong goes, he is one of them. He has done some hinky stuff is his personal life that make you raise an eyebrow. He still one of the best damn cyclists I have ever seen race. I can't say he doped because the only evidence any of us are privy to is 500 clean tests. The USADA hasnt provided the public with jack except for heresay and thinly veiled innuendo. Case is closed on this one and the questions will always remain. So I say we make like Armstrong and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by sirenizzed View Post
    All top level athletes are egotistical fatheads. You don't become a professional athlete by being humble. You are chosen at a young age and told how wonderful you are. You are mentored, catered to and coached to believe you are the best and if your best isn't cutting it you can and will be better, because you are
    Something special. Sure they stand in front of us and say all the right things, thank the fans, kiss the babies, sign the autographs but they still think their sh*t is ice cream. Does that make them bad people? No. Some people will love em and some will hate them

As far as lance Armstrong goes, he is one of them. He has done some hinky stuff is his personal life that make you raise an eyebrow. He still one of the best damn cyclists I have ever seen race. I can't say he doped because the only evidence any of us are privy to is 500 clean tests. The USADA hasnt provided the public with jack except for heresay and thinly veiled innuendo. Case is closed on this one and the questions will always remain. So I say we make like Armstrong and move on.
    I agree that questions will linger forever, but the case is far from closed.

A slightly different take on Lance-

I live in Austin and, of course, there is quite a bit of news about him at this point. Despite the possibility that he did dope throughout his career, it is important to remember what else he has accomplished:

http://www.statesman.com/opinion/ins..._ece_frontpage

http://www.statesman.com/sports/colu..._ece_frontpage
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

And one more perspective:

Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Thanks for that.