Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm glad I found this place!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi there -- I just registered yesterday and these forums seem really useful!

I started riding last fall to get more fit and to lose weight. I'd not been riding for decades (I think when I was 15 before I got a car, LOL?) so the bike shop suggested a comfort bike. I bought it -- and by June I was riding 50 miles some weeks, with a long ride of 30 or so miles on Saturdays and my comfort bike just wasn't cutting it on my rides with friends, so I started looking at road bikes and ordered one.

I broke my leg in June -- and I'm still recovering and my new bike just came in earlier this week! I don't think I can go riding yet (I'm not to full weight bearing) but I couldn't wait so I put the bike on a trainer last night. Its uncomfortable still (new geometry that I'm not used to, and I'm not really comfortable with the leg yet and I've lost lots of core strength through inactivity). It killed me to put a brand new bike on a trainer, but boy I had to get on it and I'm totally not OK to ride yet.

In any event, I hope to be able to get out to really ride sometime in the next month and I look forward to meeting everyone on here!

Amy

Welcome Amy, I'm over in Urbana IL.

Electra Townie 7D

Welcome to TE, enjoy yourself!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by Aromig View Post
    It killed me to put a brand new bike on a trainer, but boy I had to get on it and I'm totally not OK to ride yet.
    Ha, I got my current road bike in early Dec., a couple of years ago. It was stuck on the trainer for 3 whole months...oh, that was so miserable! I hope your leg is healed sooner than that.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Welcome to TE! Sorry about your injury. Many of us have had to take time off from riding for various injuries and illnesses, but you can always make it back up. Be sure to let yourself heal adequately. How did you break your leg?

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Thanks everyone!

Pax -- I drive that by your area on the way to Ottawa, Chicago at least a few times every summer! Does the college atmosphere help with cool things to do/rides?

lph -- I've never been to Oslo, but I actually broke my leg in Norway (Kjerag). I was sad I spent most of my vacation in a hospital in Stavanger instead of getting to see your beautiful country.

Zoom-Zoom -- were you worried about the trainer damaging your bike? My other bike is pretty darn sturdy, so I was really worried when hooking up the road bike to the trainer.

Welcome to TE from another Indiana member. Hope you get well soon!...

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

lph -- I've never been to Oslo, but I actually broke my leg in Norway (Kjerag).
    Ok, so now I'm curious - how did you break your leg? I've never been to Kjerag but my dh has climbed there, and my in-laws are on their way there to go hiking as I type
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

Zoom-Zoom -- were you worried about the trainer damaging your bike? My other bike is pretty darn sturdy, so I was really worried when hooking up the road bike to the trainer.
    Nope--I'm FAR more worried about our crap roads hurting my baby!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I bought a trek Domane 4.5. I'm a little nervous that it's a new design, but I liked how it rode. I didn't get a WSD (the wait time was longer) and I'm a tall girl so except for the saddle and paint scheme the measurements were the same.

I was parachuting at the annual Heliboogie at Kjerag and twisted my ankle on landing. I received excellent medical care in Norway!

It's very neat to see so many Midwesterners on here!

I was parachuting at the annual Heliboogie at Kjerag and twisted my ankle on landing. I received excellent medical care in Norway!
    Oh, very cool! I used to skydive, and my only broken bone is from a badly thought out landing, when I broke a small bone in my hand.

A pity you had to spend time in a hospital on vacation.

I put the new bike in the trainer, managed to actually get shoes on (I've worn flip flops for 9 weeks because my ankles are swollen by the end of the day) and tried out the new bike today. I can't decide if I am out of shape because I've done NOTHING for 9 weeks and am out of shape, or the trainer is hard, or my new bike is hard but wow - 20 minutes was tough. I also hate my new saddle, and I'm not used to a new road bike (yeah, I changed a LOT of things at one time). Good news - the broken leg didn't hurt at all even when I shifted to get a lot more resistance so riding outside is right around the corner! The bad news is that even after lowering the resistance on the pedals as low as possible I couldn't get the broken leg unclipped (I literally had to have my son come move my shoe). A second try was successful but boy was it hard. I am considering changing out pedals to ride (or just stay on the trainer to work on fitness for a while longer, that's probably safer anyway since the bone isn't fully closed yet anyway and a crash would be awful). It sure felt better to do SOMETHING.

Trainers are hard. Between my short attention span and the fact that it's just more work than riding outside, I have a hard time with half an hour.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I listened to an audiobook, and still found myself looking at the clock. I am going to have to either move it in front of the TV, or get an audiobook I haven't listened to before! My rock n roll trainer came with a video, but I haven't tried it yet. I still feel safer though, like I am unlikely to re-break myself while I am stationary :-)

That's way more cool than when I sprained my ankle standing in line at a bank in Oslo which is hardly cool at all, but yah, I got excellent medical care too, because there was a medical office right upstairs from the bank and a guy who had been behind me in line, scooped me up off of the floor, carried me upstairs, and set me on the counter at the doctor's office.

I also got rubella in Bergen, but no medical care was really needed for that. The doc was pretty nice though, and only a little bit confused by the fact that the other California student with rubella and I had the same first name.

Welcome to TE!!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.