Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I had plates and screws put in my hip as a pre-teen and they were removed a year and a half later with full recovery. I think this is quite normal, actually.

In the very old TSA scan equipment, my newer metal dinged the scanners but it today's modern equipment-not a blip. Almost all airports are using full body xray scans that prevents you from having a pat down.

BUT, I can relate to your fear and pain. I would be so scared to get seriously hurt and have it impact my favorite sport. I will be thinking of you-I hope the surgery and recovery goes well. Come vent to us any time you need to-we'll be pulling for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokie View Post
    I am very petite. the screw I wanted out was just too superficial and "pokey-outy". Even 13 months post-surgery, I have small improvements every few weeks. My girlfriend tells me hers felt better 3 years out & I am so happy with mine already!
    Does this mean that you're going to try to keep the "pokey-outy" screw, Tokie?
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

I'm so sorry to hear about the ankle. Back in December 2010 I broke my right ankle - trimelleolar with dislocation, very bad break, I have a 5 hole plate/screws(medial side) and screw in the lateral side. I had 5 months of PT, had alot of trouble, because of the lack of 'range of motion'. I started back biking April 2011 - I was careful unclipping. I then April of this year, it started to feel 'normal'. In fact I started running in June. I do not have 100 range of motion in that ankle and probably never will, the only time I really notice it is going down stairs. My advice, hang in there, and have your mind made up that your doing ride, run, whatever you want, and work hard, in PT.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

So here's my ankle post-op appt w about 8-10 staples out where you see the steri-strips (hardware inside there somewhere). No weight bearing for another month and see the doc again. Gee, like how I had to write my initials with a sharpie marker on my leg?! The doc's are on there also out of the pic. It's so they get the right person/part in the O.R. I guess lol WOW!

***Thank you SO much ladies for your support and comments so far!!!***

I've kinda been just laid out on the couch with art stuff sketching/coloring to take my mind off the pain and try to get the swelliing down. Not a lot with the pc. So finally getting my way back to you all.

And btw, that's an interesting point about petite ladies getting the hardware out.

Tho I'm 5'5", I am small boned, tiny little wrists, and very thin skinned, so I've been told by a diff surgeon. So time will tell what happens.

Next appt he will take an xray of it. So far he said it looks good and healing as expected.

Which I'm glad it's physically paying off to "rest" so much because my sanity has about checked out!

Thanks

Wow...you were cognizant enough to write your initials upside down!?
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

BTW, about you and your doctor marking your leg, the hospital where I work, the doctors have been marking the patients - site of surgery for years now, plus before we begin the surgery we do a time out to identify the correct patient/surgery/site, etc..... You'd be surprised on how many wrong leg, kidney, etc... has been operated on in this country - its for your protection.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Wow...you were cognizant enough to write your initials upside down!?
    Hahaha ya that was BEFORE they started pumping me full of happy knock out drugs. I thought ok, this is permanent marker and gonna be on me a while, let's see if I can get it so I can read it right looking at it....which is hard to...but the ocd kicked in and I mananged somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    BTW, about you and your doctor marking your leg, the hospital where I work, the doctors have been marking the patients - site of surgery for years now, plus before we begin the surgery we do a time out to identify the correct patient/surgery/site, etc..... You'd be surprised on how many wrong leg, kidney, etc... has been operated on in this country - its for your protection.
    Oh I bet!!! It IS a good thing. I just thought it was kinda funny at the time. A brief moment of happy before hysterics to escape set in fully. Not that I was gonna get very far hopping on one leg.

all I want for xmas is my hardware out...my hardware out...:)

Looky what Santa brought me for xmas! Wow...shiny!!

Yes, after much discussion with the doctor, we ended up removing my hardware this week (last chance to get it in before a new calendar year and big insurance deductible). I was having pain that the doctor said was related to tendon irritation on the metal plate. So I'm thinking these metal pieces might make some interesting jewerly... gawd knows it was expensive enough! lol

I'm just SO relieved it is all over with. Hoping this resolves my issues. Looking forward to healing up this winter and being ready to cycle in the spring.

Whoa ... shiny! If it's too odd for jewelry maybe you can put it in a medicine bag ... that's sort of along the lines of the kind of things that usually go into mine.

Speedy healing!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Whoa ... shiny! If it's too odd for jewelry maybe you can put it in a medicine bag ... that's sort of along the lines of the kind of things that usually go into mine.

Speedy healing!
    Thanks, OakLeaf

I, too, had my ankle and fibula hardware removed years ago for similar reasons. Hoping you're feeling 100% soon.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Quote Originally Posted by murielalex View Post
    I, too, had my ankle and fibula hardware removed years ago for similar reasons. Hoping you're feeling 100% soon.
    Thanks! I am SO glad to get it out... it's like a weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders.