Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Am I Missing Something?

To disable ads, please log-in.

The past couple of rides have been awesome however I'm noticing my body is asking for something that I can't figure out. It's not bonking or dehydration as I've dealt with both and know the symptoms.

I quit taking Gatorade since it makes my stomach sick so I'm wondering if I'm losing salt or another nutrient while riding that Gatorade or similar product replaces. My salt cravings are terrible after a ride. I just want to eat a bag of Tostitos and salsa.

The only changes that have been hugely significant over the past 2-3 rides is my cadence/speed. I made it partway up one of the hills at 18mph with 115 cadence today and 15 mph with 105 up another a couple of days ago. The rest were around 7-10 mph with 90 cadence. My cadence has completely bounced up from around 80 to 90 or more depending on the hills. The weather has been in the 80's and it's perfect for cycling. I don't bomb down the hills since the road is rough and tend to just coast or keep a speed of around 10-13 mph.

I know it's changed my heart rate as well..not sure if that's good or bad. I just have a heart rate app on my phone so "accurate" is questionable. The first ride fluctuated from 150 to 185 on some hills. I didn't check with this one. I'm not sure if I'm hitting target rates or overdoing it.

Have I just gone through a "growth spurt" with power/speed/cadence and need to change how much I'm drinking/eating? Any supplements that would help especially with the salt cravings?

The higher the cadence the more fuel efficient you are? I'm still only averaging around 10 mph via my computer. I'm still hauling a 27lb bike and me so the speeds average out.

Only thing I have added to my diet is a calcium/zinc/magnesium tablet.

Am I actually making progress? LOL.

Are you having any electrolytes while you ride? One of the things you lose is sodium when you sweat... so the salt cravings can just reflect that. You could try other drinks with electrolytes, but without as much sugar and coloring as Gatorade: Nuun and the "exercise hydration mix" from Skratch Labs. I like the latter (the "lemons and limes" flavor) best -- it is almost clear and the flavor is subtle. Anther option would be to take something salty with you as a snack, like pretzels.

w00t on the higher cadence and those speeds going uphill. IMO, that is a sign of fitness progress.

My doctor also prescribed me potassium because she was concerned about the length of my rides in the heat and that I only drank water (I have IR, so I don't do sugary drinks).

You may want to see if you're getting enough potassium to go along with the sodium that you're craving.

2009 Trek FX 7.3
    2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact

Got up this morning, went to the store and picked up a 32 oz Gatorade. Inhaled the entire bottle and have started feeling a lot better.

I just don't like it because I always feel bloated and it's always sickly sweet. I tried Powerade last time but wasn't that impressed.

The tablets and the mix sound like better options. If it's the electrolytes I was missing the past two trips, those put a huge dent in your system if they aren't there.

I like Nuun better than Gatorade.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I would definitely suggest an electrolyte replacement of some sort.

I use Nuun occasionally, Heed mixed in with my Perpetuem on long rides, more Heed and less Perp if it's hot. I also take endurolytes regularly on rides, as many as 3 an hour.

You don't want to mess with electrolyte depletion. Usually it'll just leave you feeling blah and result in cramping but if it's really bad it can lead to heart arrhythmias. Been there, done that, not fun. Then there is severe hyponatremia which in extreme cases can lead to death.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

What everyone else said. Electrolyte depletion is bad. I dilute my Gatorade somewhat, and have recently tried Nuun. Not at all bad.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

If I remember right, Nuun is really not a good sodium replacement option (at least not the flavor I usually buy). So definitely make sure you're reading the packaging on whatever you try to make sure you're getting what you want.

I DO like Gatorade, but I cut it with water and then add "gatorlyte" powder, which addes more sodium and electrolytes without adding more sugars.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post

The higher the cadence the more fuel efficient you are?

The short answer: no.

The long answer: it depends on your personal proportions of slow-twitch and fast-twitch muscle fibers. If you have a lot of fast-twitch fibers, you will be more efficient working in your personal fast-twitch zippy cadence zone. If you have a lot of slow-twitch fibers, you'll be more efficient working in your personal slow-twitch "mashing" cadence zone.

Someone with a higher proportion of slow-twitch fibers would burn huge amounts of energy trying to force themselves to make their slow-twitch fibers fire quickly and to direct most of the action to their least numerous fast-twich fiber type.

Efficiency and optimal cadence are as individual as fingerprints.
    Existence is empty, but I am full of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BodhiTree View Post
    The short answer: no.

The long answer: it depends on your personal proportions of slow-twitch and fast-twitch muscle fibers. If you have a lot of fast-twitch fibers, you will be more efficient working in your personal fast-twitch zippy cadence zone. If you have a lot of slow-twitch fibers, you'll be more efficient working in your personal slow-twitch "mashing" cadence zone.

Someone with a higher proportion of slow-twitch fibers would burn huge amounts of energy trying to force themselves to make their slow-twitch fibers fire quickly and to direct most of the action to their least numerous fast-twich fiber type.

Efficiency and optimal cadence are as individual as fingerprints.

Wow. I have no idea what my proportion is..probably all slow. This really does turn into a science once you get deep enough. I'd just like to keep myself injury free and don't fall into overusing my muscles or getting sick from not enough of what my body requires.

Have you ever tried something like S! Caps or Endurolytes capsules? That way you can replace electrolytes without the flavor and sugar of sport drinks. I've used the capsules with great success. Pickle juice is magic, too.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

An alternative that could provide the sodium and potassium: boiled potatoes with some parmesan as a ride snack... see Allen Lim's "recipe":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwt-DUpKPYA

A friend in a group ride brought some to distribute during a ride. It was a fun treat during our ride. I would add a bit of salt.

His various recipes for rice cakes are great, too. Here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UiuqIWGe_s

I tried one that had mixed scrambled eggs, some nut butter (almond, in my case), cashews and bacon. Yum. Had one during a 58 miles ride and I was not hungry for hours after it! I will make those again, but using chopped prosciutto instead of bacon (no frying required).

I tried endurolytes once and my stomach felt crampy for several miles.

Potassium balances sodium

So sometimes sodium isn't the issue. Many of us get way too much sodium and not enough potassium to utilize it properly.

I use alfalfa. It has a good mix of potassium to sodium, 2:1 ratio respectively.

1 cup of alfalfa has 1% of the DV (same amount as a serving of Gatorade or the Skratch labs exercise hydration mix). You would do much better with many other veggies than with alfalfa in terms of potassium. e.g, one cup of cooked kale has 8.5% of the DV.

I wonder if anemia could cause salt cravings, too...?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2