Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: relocating!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Both of those sound nice. I love the Flatirons Mall area (nice views). The wind can be pretty bad (I live in West Arvada south of there). The Broadlands area is very nice as well. The two car garage would be a huge plus for bikes and car. Not having to brush/scrape snow is always nice.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of those areas. Good luck with your decision!
    2012 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2010 Giant XTC2
    2012 Jamis Coda Sport
    2010 3G Beach Cruiser (lives at the beach)

2013 Brompton

I don't have any advice, but my sister lives in Broomfield and personally, I like it all. I guess living in Houston everything there seems relatively close. However, I would always pick closer to work if all things were equal.

Hi Emily,

Just so you know my bias, I live on the N side of Louisville and ride thru old Superior all the time, and work for a company headquartered near Jeffco Airport, and a lot of colleagues live in/near the Broadlands. A lot of execs here for temporary longterm stay live in some of the Superior condos, they're nice. Broadlands are closer to Thornton. But either way, you are close to Jeffco, and you are close to Thornton, and you are close to trails. I like the two car garage myself.

If you want to be more plugged in to the Boulder trail system, then you're closer with Superior. However, I ride out Dillon Rd. a lot, which takes me out towards the Broadlands. But didn't you say this is a temporary place while you get your bearings? Sounds like you can't go wrong with either location.

marcy

I don't know much about the area either although I've learned a little bit about it this summer, my wheelbuilder is at 114th just off 36. The Flatirons area has easy access to I-25 Denver and Boulder via 36. Also, closer to the mountains if that is a priority, it was ours. Not sure about the Broadlands area.

I checked the 2008 DBTC (Denver Touring Bicycle Club) map, and there were more bicycle routes near the Flatirons area. There is a newer map and the may be more routes now in the Broadlands area.

The Broadlands area looks halfway between Thornton and the Rocky Mtn (JeffCo) airport. When we visit my wheelbuilder I don't notice an abundance of airplanes, maybe it was the time of day.

The entire area looks to be pretty new construction, unlike my 1970's neighorhood.

As far as wind goes, we have it here in southwest Denver, it's just a part of living here. My 1st first experience with the wind made me worry we were having a tornado.

Hope this helps.

I'm here! And just got a call from the bike shop that my bike made it and is assembled, ready to be picked up!

Wishing you safe travels, ehirsch.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

You may have already decided BUT, I think either would be great. Based on the map, you can ride up 88th by Avista to head north or if you're in Broadlands, you can ride to Erie and north. If you don't mind roads (vs trails), you'll have plenty of options at either location. Plus, there is good hiking in Spring and Fall at Dowdy draw at 128/93 (it's too hot in the summer IMO). It's often windy here...just how it goes.

Good luck with your move!

Welcome to Colorado!!

Well been here for about 2 weeks and just started to ride the other day(we shipped the bikes, had to get them here then they arrived when furniture arrived, so it was hectic for a few day).

We ended up near the 1st bank center which isn't my favorite area but it is only for a year. Where did you end up VeganBikeChick?

Also if anyone wants to ride ever, let me know! I am working from home right now for my old company until I am employed here, so have a flexible schedule- I just have a huge fear of going downhill, so need to stick with rollers for right now(the turn onto Mccaslin from 128 scares the cr*p out of me!- such a flatlander I am)

Emily, your "Location" in your TE profile (upper right of your posts) still shows Winter Park, FL...time for an update! And congratulations on your move! After living near Orlando ourselves years ago, I definitely think you're in a better area now. Enjoy!

Another Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by ehirsch83 View Post
    I just have a huge fear of going downhill, so need to stick with rollers for right now(the turn onto Mccaslin from 128 scares the cr*p out of me!- such a flatlander I am)
    Good thing you didn't get transferred to San Fran
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Going north on McCaslin from 128 scares me too - I think I've reached 35 mph+ (while feathering the brakes bc I'm a sissy!). I've only done it once or twice ever. And I've NEVER gone up that hill!!

I'm at 124th/Sheridan...my "usual" loop is Lowell to Hwy 7, left (west) on Hwy 7, North on County Line (through Erie) to Hwy 52. East on 52 to Co Rd 5. South on Co Rd 5. Right on CR4 to Sheridan. Sheridan back to Lowell and home. 29 miles total which I can do in 1h:50m on a good day. Taking this route in reverse means having to ride up the slow grind on Lowell.

How far do you ride and what's your avg speed? Sadly, I don't get out much during the week, especially now that it's getting darker, earlier.
    2010 Trek 2.1 WSD

Quote Originally Posted by ehirsch83 View Post
    Well been here for about 2 weeks and just started to ride the other day(we shipped the bikes, had to get them here then they arrived when furniture arrived, so it was hectic for a few day).

We ended up near the 1st bank center which isn't my favorite area but it is only for a year. Where did you end up VeganBikeChick?

Also if anyone wants to ride ever, let me know! I am working from home right now for my old company until I am employed here, so have a flexible schedule- I just have a huge fear of going downhill, so need to stick with rollers for right now(the turn onto Mccaslin from 128 scares the cr*p out of me!- such a flatlander I am)

Hey Emily!

I am in the DTC area - for now. I'd like to be closer to the city so am now researching the perfect place to buy. I'd love to ride with you but I've only got my steel Casseroll and am quite slow. I do miss the downhills tho!!
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Vegan, let me know if you ever want to even just meet up for coffee! I could use a friend here. Same goes to anyone else in the area

On the downhill issue- I'm getting better I did the Morgul Bismark loop today and now feel like I can handle a lot more

Emily, I am totally impressed, I am a chickenliverweenie when it comes to downhills. I ride the 2009 version of the Jamis Coda Comp http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...ompf_spec.html and I usually have it loaded with a ton of crap, I commute to work in Boulder, run errands, etc. Most of my friends ride the Boulder canyons, but I'm always hitting the country roads, you can find some of my routes on mapmyride under commuterchick. By all means friend me there, would love to connect with other people who are posting their routes. And if you want to connect with someone in Louisville, happy to meet anytime!

Marcy

Emily...the Bicycle Village at 92nd and Wadsworth coordinates a women's group ride every Sunday. Jen, one of the employees, sends out an email every week outlining the ride for the coming Sunday. Anyone is free to join them. I haven't been able to make it to a ride yet but it sounds like they get a pretty fun group.
    2012 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2010 Giant XTC2
    2012 Jamis Coda Sport
    2010 3G Beach Cruiser (lives at the beach)

2013 Brompton