Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA Pro Challenge Aug 20-26 2012

To disable ads, please log-in.

Look how much climbing they're doing in this race!! My legs hurt just reading about it.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...-harder_234676

I'm pretty sure it will be televised on NBC Sports in the US. Should be fun.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Very excited to watch this, especially since we were just in Telluride. Here's the TV schedule for NBC and NBC Sports:
    http://usaprocyclingchallenge.com/tv-listings

We are planning on camping out on Independence Pass for stage 3 and 4. (They won't let people camp on the Pitkin County side of the pass, but it is ok on the Lake County side) So we will be there two nights with thousands of other fans.

We are planning to drive up on Tues morning to get a decent camp spot.

We did this last year and it was a lot of fun! Hanging around for 24 hours to see 15 minutes of action.

We will take bikes and ride up and down the Pass and all around.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

Last year we rode to the top of Vail pass, then down to the finish line of the time trial. I've tried to climb that side of the pass and didn't make it. Vail Pass was fun because the only way you could get there was to walk, ride your bike or get dropped off on I-70. We got to see the riders "up close and personel".

Today we rode a 10 mile section of last years route-Heeney Lake an out and back for us. After riding close to 500 miles in Wisconsin the last 2 weeks, the altitude at 8,000 ft+ today really affected me. Equivilant climbs that were easy last week killed me today.

We're thinking of riding to see the Denver time trials but have made no plans yet.
    Last edited by Kathi; 08-17-2012 at 03:16 PM.

We're watching some of the early stages too, and will probably be on Independence Pass both days too - riding our bikes up from Twin Lakes. Put up a Team Estrogen banner so I can see ya!

ETA: OH! We rode out to Heeney last week. What a pretty ride!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

For anyone who doesn't have TV access to the race, you can follow it for free on the Radio Shack Tour Tracker:

http://radioshacktourtracker.usaproc...challenge.com/

Can be downloaded on iphones and android phones. Also works on your pc.

Quite a stage today. Happy for the winner.

Gone but not forgotten:

It was a great stage and awesome for the winner. I was so happy for him.

I would love to be there! Maybe some day.
    pedal pusher

I'm watching today's stage now. They just showed Ben King post-crash -- he went from doubled over in pain to back on the bike and pedaling in one motion.

I swear, these guys eat nails for breakfast.

He posted on twitter -- cracked helmet but nothing else broken. By coincidence, his sister is a nurse in Crested Butte, so that's where he went after the stage to get checked out.

Gone but not forgotten:

NY, thank you for the live link. If I am reading this right TeJay is in the lead. I like that kid! And, I agree that they must eat nails for breakfast!

I set my DVR to record so I can watch them after I get home from work. Yesterday's stage was very interesting and came down to the last 50 meters! Amazing. It was cool to see Tyler Farrar in the Yellow, even if just for a day.

The coverage on NBC Sports Network is decent, as usual. A little surprised to see the sponsorship plugs during the coverage, but that's kind of cool for the sponsors. TrainingPeaks was also on talking about some of the data they were gathering - http://home.trainingpeaks.com/races/...challenge.aspx -

To think, they are doing all of that climbing at such an altitude (no wonder the, um, sickness, at the end of yesterday's stage). They pushed the first two days, I wonder how that will pan out as the race goes on.

I also found it interesting that the other finishers need to finish within a certain percentage of the first finisher. If they don't, they don't go on? Don't get points for that stage? Didn't catch that part.

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    I set my DVR to record so I can watch them after I get home from work. Yesterday's stage was very interesting and came down to the last 50 meters! Amazing. It was cool to see Tyler Farrar in the Yellow, even if just for a day.

The coverage on NBC Sports Network is decent, as usual. A little surprised to see the sponsorship plugs during the coverage, but that's kind of cool for the sponsors. TrainingPeaks was also on talking about some of the data they were gathering - http://home.trainingpeaks.com/races/...challenge.aspx -

To think, they are doing all of that climbing at such an altitude (no wonder the, um, sickness, at the end of yesterday's stage). They pushed the first two days, I wonder how that will pan out as the race goes on.

I also found it interesting that the other finishers need to finish within a certain percentage of the first finisher. If they don't, they don't go on? Don't get points for that stage? Didn't catch that part.

If the slower finishers don't make the time cut, they are eliminated from the race. Though sometimes they will make an exception if a very large number of riders miss the time cut. Typically the riders at the back form their own mini-peloton called the grupetto or autobus, and they stick together to help everyone finish and make the time cut. But if a rider is behind the bus, they're on their own.

And I really wish NBC Sports did not feel the need to replay DZ's on-bike vomit over and over. At least Phil warned us to look away the first time they showed it.

Gone but not forgotten:

Wow! 62 mph, on a bike.

So glad they didn't pass Tommy D. at the line!
    pedal pusher

Just tweeted by Christian Vande Velde:

My 90 year old grandma watching the race today at @thebikeshoppe. My biggest fan and smallest fan. http://yfrog.com/oe60138237j

Gone but not forgotten: