Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

My view today
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Nice!!! AND you managed an excellent photo

The last two days have been exciting finishes! Independence Pass, 11k of climbing, at altitude. At one point they were going 17mph UPHILL, and later up to 60mph DOWNHILL.

My favorite quote from yesterday's coverage was: "I'm not sure what Dave Zabriskie had for breakfast but something tells me we're going to find out."

And, that photo of grandma is so awesome.

This has been a much more exciting course this year. I am glad they changed up the route - but DID leave in yesterday's. I was yelling at the tv when Tommy D was hanging on for his nail-biting win!

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

JENS!!!!!!!!

that is all.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    JENS!!!!!!!!

that is all.
    I was busy at work today and then went for a bike ride. So the last I saw before turning on the TV coverage tonight was a tweet from hours before that said he had crossed Independence Pass in a solo break.

I stood and applauded and he crossed the line.

Key quote: "It was painful but very enjoyable."

http://www.radioshacknissantrek.com/...win-jens-voigt

p.s. 51 degrees and raining, and he rode in short sleeves and shorts? My teeth chatter just thinking about it.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Just caught the last 10 minutes of the race on the phone app.... and yeah, how about Jens! Wish I could have seen a little more of the race.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

It was really frustrating that there was no feed for the last several miles, but what a great stage. Actually, this race has been more exciting than the tour for me, with Teejay and Christian being same time.

I love Jens.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Does anyone know how the elevation in Colorado compares to that of the Alps, Pyrenees and Dolomites? I'm getting the impression that Colorado is significantly higher.

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Does anyone know how the elevation in Colorado compares to that of the Alps, Pyrenees and Dolomites? I'm getting the impression that Colorado is significantly higher.
    Interesting question. The Independence Pass climb took them over 12k feet in altitude (3657m). Denver itself is at ~5300 feet (~1600 meters).

Found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...oads_in_Europe

Which shows there's several TdF marked French Alps climbs in the 2500-2800 meter range. 2800m = 9186 feet. Dolomites and Pyrenees at highest travel routes in that list are at the 2300m range, 7545 feet.

That is assuming Wikipedia is accurate, but it's at least a guide I did find some corroborating evidence that the list is relatively accurate doing some other searching.

The TrainingPeaks guys said over the first few stages they were down about 20% in output due to altitude - what would normally be recovery ride wattage was them going uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    My SO has skied in France and he says that although the climbs are not as steep, the elevation in Colorado is higher. Elevations in France are about 6-7000 ft, whereas, most of yesterdays ride was from 9 -12,000 feet. Tomorrows ride, from Golden to Boulder, even though lower altitude will still be 85% higher than the Alps.

Our ride on Friday was around 8,000 ft and our Sunday ride from Keystone to Montezuma was from 9,000 - 10,200. I really felt both rides, having recently been in Wisconsin for 3 weeks and I don't normally train at that altitude.

Local news interviews from the racers all comment about how the altitude is affecting them.
    Last edited by Kathi; 08-24-2012 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    It was really frustrating that there was no feed for the last several miles, but what a great stage. Actually, this race has been more exciting than the tour for me, with Teejay and Christian being same time.

I love Jens.
    Does anybody not love Jens? JENSIE!!!!

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    My SO has skied in France and he says that although the climbs are not as steep, the elevation in Colorado is higher. Elevations in France are about 6-7000 ft, whereas, most of yesterdays ride was from 9 -12,000 feet. Tomorrows ride, from Golden to Boulder, even though lower altitude will still be 85% higher than the Alps.

Our ride on Friday was around 8,000 ft and our Sunday ride from Keystone to Montezuma was from 9,000 - 10,200. I really felt both rides, having recently been in Wisconsin for 3 weeks and I don't normally train at that altitude.

Local news interviews from the racers all comment about how the altitude is affecting them.
    Thanks Colby and Kathi for doing the math for me.

Chris Horner has mentioned the altitude a few times, and Ted King said he ralphed during yesterday's stage.

Gone but not forgotten:

Got an awesome look at Jens about to climb the steepest part of Battle Mountain, in the big ring.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

I've never been one to really enjoy watching cycling. I would rather ride than watch however I found myself out riding near the route of the race today. I watched them from a trail high above the route. It was truly amazing watching the pack descend and then ascend Highway 93 in between Golden and Boulder. A crowd had gathered where I stopped and I loved the cheering and general atmosphere of the crowd.
    2012 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2010 Giant XTC2
    2012 Jamis Coda Sport
    2010 3G Beach Cruiser (lives at the beach)

2013 Brompton

It's an exciting race this year... watching the TT, which normally I find dull.