Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 88
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    A long thin country
    Posts
    390

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    +1 to Eden and Crankin. I am firmly in the anti-gun camp. Guns don't equalize—they escalate.

    When I first started riding solo way back in the early 80s, my friendly bike shop manager told me his wife's philosophy: keep your head up, your eyes open, and your mouth closed. In other words, be aware; don't look tired (even if you are); don't look like a victim. I refuse to live in fear of remote possibilities. I am far more likely to be hit by a texting teenager than deliberately assaulted by a stranger out in the middle of nowhere. Besides, what's the point of lightening up with a carbon frame and superlight wheels, only to add the considerable weight of a firearm?
    ~Jen
    2008 Trek Madone 5.1/compact double/Terry Butterfly
    My family's food and winemaking blog is www.flahertywines.com

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    10,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Chile Pepper View Post
    +1 to Eden and Crankin. I am firmly in the anti-gun camp. Guns don't equalize—they escalate.

    When I first started riding solo way back in the early 80s, my friendly bike shop manager told me his wife's philosophy: keep your head up, your eyes open, and your mouth closed. In other words, be aware; don't look tired (even if you are); don't look like a victim. I refuse to live in fear of remote possibilities. I am far more likely to be hit by a texting teenager than deliberately assaulted by a stranger out in the middle of nowhere. Besides, what's the point of lightening up with a carbon frame and superlight wheels, only to add the considerable weight of a firearm?
    +1 to Eden, Crankin, and Chile Pepper. I've written three posts on this thread and deleted each of them. Use common sense, take normal precautions, and enjoy riding. I refuse to be ruled by what MIGHT happen and I agree that an inattentive driver is far more likely a danger to most of us.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,632
    +1 Eden, Crankin and Chile Pepper!

    I have been following this thread and thinking that I'd rather rely on awareness and common sense precautions than on carrying a gun. That cannot be aerodynamic! And if I ever carry a knife it is in anticipation of buying cheese.

    More seriously, those considering carrying a gun would do well to get some advanced combat and gun handling training. Standing calmly at a shooting range, aiming at a non threatening target is very different from being knocked off your bike. A gun might be helpful in a tiny fraction of an unlikely type of event, but to each their own.

    ETA: I could not agree more with Catrin.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    +1 to Eden, Crankin, and Chile Pepper. I've written three posts on this thread and deleted each of them. Use common sense, take normal precautions, and enjoy riding. I refuse to be ruled by what MIGHT happen and I agree that an inattentive driver is far more likely a danger to most of us.

    ditto on the inattentive driver- I have been t-boned twice by guys who ran red lights as I was making a turn (on green) Luckily, this happened while driving so many broken bones but I am not dead........always in the back of my mind when road riding ......

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    170
    I have to agree w/Eden, Crankin, Chile Pepper & pll. No one is saying not to take precautions if you need to, but I'd hate to think of a new rider reading this thread and thinking she is in danger of attack when ever she goes out on a solo ride.

    Also, I went back and read this thread from the beginning and I didn't pick up on any tone that implied that the attacked are somehow responsible.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs


    My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    37
    I was referring to the poster that was talking about girls being raped because they were out at 2am. Admittedly I am amped up about that sort of thing because of some political things that are happening right now. But I think it is strange to say that women riders should be carrying a weapon and dressed a certain way as reasonable precautions.

    I am largely pro gun but if I felt so unsafe that I needed to carry a gun to go for a bike ride I might reconsider biking.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    662
    I am absolutely more afraid of being hit by a vehicle than I am of being attacked. Ride defensively, and expect drivers to do stupid stuff.

    2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Just so's there's no misunderstanding... I didn't find your remark to be subtle in the least, nor do I agree with it...

    Ummm oookkkk, I wasn't really sitting here all worried and concerned about any misunderstanding or if anyone agreed or disagreed with me.....everyone is entitled to their own opinion and view points and I respect that. There are alot of great comments for both sides of the fence.
    Felt F65
    Specialized Crux Expert Force (My baby)

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    4,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Norse View Post
    I am absolutely more afraid of being hit by a vehicle than I am of being attacked. Ride defensively, and expect drivers to do stupid stuff.
    +1 Norse, Catrin and Teal! I wrote some replies I deleted too.... The chances of being stalked and murdered by a stranger, somewhere along the lines of the same odds that the earth will be hit by a giant asteroid.... The chances of being hit by an inattentive driver....

    Let's also just say feelings around here are running a bit raw these days too.... I suppose also that the chances of being hit by a stray bullet are also fairly astronomical - yet it happened, here in my neighborhood, on a corner I ride though often, just a few weeks ago. A father was killed in front of his children when he just happened to be driving by a corner where someone insulted someone one else and the answer was to pull out a gun. He had nothing to do with it at all, yet he died there, shot in the head, in his fathers arms, in front of his children, for no reason. Tragic, nonsensical, preventable.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

    visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    63
    Since a few feel this need to jump at me for the statement I made back on page 1......I think we do need to keep in mind that there are some personal reasons as to why some might choose to legally carry or not carry a handgun. I for one have been the victim of rape. I didn't go out asking for it or looking for it. When it happened, I had nothing to protect myself with or fight off the attacker who was twice my size. I weighed a measly 105lbs at 5'4" and my attacker was of course alot bigger than me. I have had to get a protection order on my ex husband who was threatening not only my life but my parents and siblings lives as well. As a family we have had to take precautions. These experiences have shaped my decisions and choices. So my choice to carry is just that....a choice.

    Someone else might choose to not carry a handgun for their own personal reasons. They live in a safe neighborhood, never felt threatened, would rather carry mace, a knife, don't feel comfortable around guns, don't believe in guns etc. That is their own choice and I don't think any less of it just like I would hope others wouldn't knock my choice to carry a handgun legally.
    Felt F65
    Specialized Crux Expert Force (My baby)

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    10,889
    Kamikazejane - first off - I am sorry that you had to endure such things. It is very sad that anyone has to go through such things and they do leave their mark.

    I've survived 2 very violent crimes that included rape twice in my life and at one time was familiar with protection orders. Even with all of that I've no desire to ever own/carry a weapon of any kind and have strong opinions on the wisdom of carrying a firearm for common/usual activities.

    This is a loaded question/issue, and each of us comes to it with our own perspective from our personal history, politics, and beliefs.
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-21-2012 at 10:30 AM.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    northern Virginia
    Posts
    5,897
    I personally thought Tulip was referring to this:

    "for the time being until our rights as Americans continue to be striped away, but that's a topic for another thread lol"

    which to me is the type of political comment the TE moderators prefer we discuss elsewhere.

    Otherwise, I don't think anyone is going to change anyone else's mind about the wisdom or appropriateness of carrying a gun, whether you are for or against.

    - Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

    Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    4,364
    Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I personally thought Tulip was referring to this:

    "for the time being until our rights as Americans continue to be striped away, but that's a topic for another thread lol"

    which to me is the type of political comment the TE moderators prefer we discuss elsewhere.

    Otherwise, I don't think anyone is going to change anyone else's mind about the wisdom or appropriateness of carrying a gun, whether you are for or against.
    Moi aussi - My original reply was also referring to that, more than the issue about carrying weapons. I found it to be, even as a small statement, highly politically charged and rather confrontational, yet also flippant.... and not a lol matter at all to my mind. That is what spoke volumes to me.
    Last edited by Eden; 08-21-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

    visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Moi aussi - My original reply was also referring to that, more than the issue about carrying weapons. I found it to be, even as a small statement, highly politically charged and rather confrontational, yet also flippant.... and not a lol matter at all to my mind. That is what spoke volumes to me.
    The Internet is about the worst way to judge how or in what context someone is saying something. How do you know if I was being "flippant" or "confrontational" or thinking that anything is or isn't an "lol" matter?
    Felt F65
    Specialized Crux Expert Force (My baby)

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    4,364
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazejane View Post
    The Internet is about the worst way to judge how or in what context someone is saying something. How do you know if I was being "flippant" or "confrontational" or thinking that anything is or isn't an "lol" matter?
    Actually I said that I found it to be so. I note it was all OK and smilies when you thought I agreed.....

    I don't intend to debate politics with you. It is not appropriate here. Perhaps this should simply be a lesson in take care what you type, because if I don't know in what context it is being said, you also don't know in what context that it is being read. Perhaps I am alone in this, but I found it inflammatory. Please feel free to set your account up to ignore my posts. I won't be offended.

    Taking a look back I don't think I'd have even said anything at all if you hadn't come back to Tulip with a Geeze I hardly said anything at all attitude, because I thought you said plenty.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

    visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •