Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cycling and Nut Allergies

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello all!

I've had an almond and walnut allergy for a couple of years (generally tree nuts, but that's what I currently tested positive for). My allergist in my school town didn't see the point in giving me an epi pen. That was very bad because when I was abroad I ate an improperly marked ice cream with Walnuts in it and ended up very sick. I didn't know actually how sick until I ended up at my allergist from home's office a few days later back in the states and realized I had been REALLY lucky oral prednisone and benadryl had worked for the time-being. Now I have an epi pen and have had to forgo eating most snacks/sweets due to their cross-contamination with nuts.

The biggest issue I am having is that protein bars and granolas - go to staples for me on the bike - are no longer easily accessible. Picture going through the entire aisle at Wal-Mart or some other super huge store to only find two or three boxes that could work - all of which use HFCS, something I try to avoid.

Are their any really healthy bars out there that don't say "may contain nuts" or that doesn't contain nuts already? I am not allergic to peanuts FTR, but also must avoid those as well as all tree nuts. I am not as concerned about things that say "manufactured in a plant with", but "manufactured on the same equiptment as" is not good. My allergist says that practically everything is contaminated with nuts if it has been packaged so I can only be so careful. It's important as well to have these things when I do organized rides where I can't expect there will be anything there for me to eat.

I figured if anyone would have an idea it would be you ladies!
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

No specific production suggestions - but have you considered making your own? There are some good basic granola and bar recipes out there, and you can adapt them however you need (maybe more fruit for no nuts?). They really don't take that long to make, and they're much less expensive - not to mention healthier (added benefits!!).

ETA: Here is a basic recipe (with optional coconut - not sure if that's OK for you or not).
    Another
    With Quinoa
    Bars
    Last edited by Blueberry; 08-16-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: To ad links.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I'm right there with you. My first solid memory is when I was 4 and nearly died from eating a candy with a tree nut in it. I've since grown accustomed to this breathing thing, and like to keep doing it. I have no advice, but hope to read some good suggestions here.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

What about dried fruits?

It looks like Honey Stinger Waffles don't have nuts.

http://shop.honeystinger.com/product...er-Waffle.html

And it looks like some flavors of Clif Bars don't have any nuts, though clearly there are nuts in their processing facilities.

http://clifbarstore.com/products/clif_bar/clif_bars

I'm pretty sure Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guide Book includes a recipe for homemade granola/sports bars.

http://www.nancyclarkrd.com/books/sportsnutrition.asp

And maybe start experimenting with other foods on the bike? If you can have soybeans, maybe a sandwich made with soybean spread and jelly/fruit spread?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I would just make my own snacks so I don't have to worry

Becky,

I would have to talk to someone who knows more about dried fruits because I also have a pretty good intolerance of citrus fruits. I.E. drinking half a glass of orange juice is fine, but anymore and I end up with a pretty nasty rash on the back of my legs, etc. So, I am not sure how that works with dried fruits?

Posse,
    Yeah! I thought it was just like having an allergy to pommegranate or citrus like I have had. I also have a shellfish allergy and a salmon allergy that also should have always had an epi pen, but I never carried one. Oops! Now I know better. Lame as it may be, it's always on me. When you can't breathe to sleep for 6 days and you realize that you were lucky you didn't die, you tend to be more careful!

Blueberry,
    Never thought of that, but I love, love, love to bake, so I would imagine this would appeal to me naturally. Going to look into that. I have to go to the health food store today anyway for eggs (I am eating two dozen egg whites a week right now for breakfast!) and I could pick up somethings. Thanks so much for that!

Owned by:

Sorry for the DP, but you guys are replying faster than I can type!

NY biker,
    Awesome. Thanks for the rec of that book and the honey stingers

Clif usually says (at least on all the ones i have read recently) that they use the same equipment for nut/non-nut products and does not specify if they clean them properly enough for people with nut allergies, so sadly, my favorite coconut chocolate bars are out. Blargh.

I think I will try to find a few good recipes and make my own. My roommate would be similarly happy to see me making my own, too, because anything I make she gets some of! She loves her some granola.

Owned by:

Hard boiled eggs in their shells will keep a day or two outside the fridge. Your health food store probably has some naturally cured jerky if your farmers market doesn't. Think protein and fats, what people eat nuts for. Organized rides usually have plenty of fresh fruit.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

If you make your own you can replace the nuts with seeds such as sunflower or pumpkin seeds. Raw seeds lightly dry toasted on a pan brings out the nutty flavor. Just be careful not to overtoast.

dt

Okay, after looking into some fruit stuff, I decided to give dried fruits a try and went for these:
    http://www.sweetgirlconfections.com/...-granola-bars/

Only addition was some chocolate on top (which was delicious) for an added treat bonus. So, still mostly healthy, but the extra calories that come from the dark chocolate won't kill me. They will be an extra good treat on the katy trail (I like them melty even) or long road rides. Thanks so much for reminding me that I can always bake!

Baking is about the only way I get treats these days. I love chocolate and love baking, so it works out. And this way I know exactly what is going into my body.

Owned by:

I most recently found the blueberry bonk breakers. I too have nut allergies, and these taste great!
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

Thought I'd update this since there was a reply I never got to before I fell off of the side of the earth.

Itself, that's cool. I checked those out but they have a "made on equipment that processes nuts" warning on the site. Do you find that they say something else IRL? If, so, they are a no. Based on my recent PFT and other evals with my allergist that cutting out potentially cross-contaminated sources may have greatly contributed to my recent results. It's the only thing that has changed diet or exercise wise that we can think of and while it's a pain, I like to minimize risk whenever possible. I know everyone is different and sensitive in different ways but cross-contaminates have likely caused reactions in me several times in the past couple of years looking back.

I've been doing my own bars as of late and riding with a lady who has a really awful dairy allergy that has exchanged some great ideas with me. I am still looking into doing something that is more heat-friendly, but I think I am going to be stuck doing something like Gu for the summer just for quick stuff. The bars are just not that heat friendly but I ride with a waterproof trunk bag now (my bike now has a rack on it since I also commute on it now) and it seems to help shield it from the sun and my own sweaty back!

Owned by:

Quote Originally Posted by colorisnt View Post
    Thought I'd update this since there was a reply I never got to before I fell off of the side of the earth.

Itself, that's cool. I checked those out but they have a "made on equipment that processes nuts" warning on the site. Do you find that they say something else IRL? If, so, they are a no. Based on my recent PFT and other evals with my allergist that cutting out potentially cross-contaminated sources may have greatly contributed to my recent results. It's the only thing that has changed diet or exercise wise that we can think of and while it's a pain, I like to minimize risk whenever possible. I know everyone is different and sensitive in different ways but cross-contaminates have likely caused reactions in me several times in the past couple of years looking back.

I've been doing my own bars as of late and riding with a lady who has a really awful dairy allergy that has exchanged some great ideas with me. I am still looking into doing something that is more heat-friendly, but I think I am going to be stuck doing something like Gu for the summer just for quick stuff. The bars are just not that heat friendly but I ride with a waterproof trunk bag now (my bike now has a rack on it since I also commute on it now) and it seems to help shield it from the sun and my own sweaty back!
    The Bonk Breakers have just been fantastic. Having used them for six months, I have had zero issues!
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent