Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Gushing about my commuter

To disable ads, please log-in.

I bought a new bike somewhat recently and just had to gush about it. I'm new to this forum (been lurking for awhile) but I figured bike reviews were always a nice thing.

My commuter is a 2012 Trek 7.2 FX. I was torn between that and the Jamis Coda. Every day for a few weeks now I have commuted to work with 2 panniers on the back and a child seat (the iBert Safety Seat) on the front, taking my 1 year old to daycare. This bike has handled it all. There's a decent hill on my commute but the gears make it a breeze. The bike feels stable and solid even with all my gear (and passengers!). After dropping my son off, I even do some curb hopping and the tires and everything are fine. What a fantastic bike!

Just wanted to share- feel free to gush about your own awesome commuters!
    Trek 7.2 FX w/ B68 - commuter

Great to hear you have a commuter bike you're in love with. I've been thinking about getting a commuter for my stable - passing my 3-speed on to someone else.

We do appreciate photos. Let me restate that, we really love photos of bikes

ShadyLady, welcome to the TE club!!
    Beth

My commuter (my only bike) is a 2008 Trek 7.2 FX. My only regret is she can't take disc brakes. For that reason I will be replacing her someday, after I have brought her some friends (perhaps a road bike, a tandem, a folding bike!) She just hit 10,000 miles.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Yay!! Gush away over your new steed! We all understand the passion.

Sounds like you picked a perfect ride for you and your passenger! Would love to see a pic of it.

Welcome to TE and to commuting! It's simply the BEST!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

that iBert is awesome!
    I had the back seat rider a bagillion years ago and my son would have LOVED the view from the front!
    commuter: a Giant Sedona '97
    road: Giant OCR c3 '08 | 105/Ultegra
    lusting a Sweet Pea A-line for when DH sweeps me out to sea

Here's my lovely commuter. This is before my Brooks saddle arrived

I do have one concern: lately my left hand- particularly the pinkie & ring fingers- have been tingly. Have people had success with the ergo-type grips? I'm thinking of trying that out. I also might be switching to a rear seat for the little guy- my knees keep bumping the iBert! Any recommendations?

Thanks! I've been commuting every day now for almost a month and really love it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	14936  
    Last edited by ShadyLady; 08-23-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Here's an updated photo of my bike, now with the Topeak child seat. I thought it'd be helpful to post a review of sorts for others trying to decide between seat options.

When I was actually pedaling I much preferred the iBert Safety Seat. The bike felt sportier and more agile with the weight up front. However, every time I stopped I felt like I was going to tip over, b/c on my bike there wasn't room for me to hop off the saddle, so instead I had to lean the bike over and catch myself with my foot. My commute involves some stop lights, etc. so I eventually decided I felt unsteady and unsafe enough that I would try the back seat (luckily I bought both seats from places with great return policies).

If my bike felt like a station wagon before, with the back seat it felt like a minivan. Kind of unwieldy and cumbersome, but solid and safe. I've decided to stick with this set up. The panniers on the front help balance out the bike- without them the front wheel feels a little squirrely. I think my son preferred the front seat for the excitement-factor, but he also seems more relaxed and comfortable on the back seat (even if the view is boring!).

Anyway, thought the comparison might help. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	1087 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	15363

Great review, thanks.
    I hadn't thought of the problem that the iBert would prevent you from dismounting properly. That seems like incredibly poor design!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

I commute sometimes with my Trek 7.3FX WSD disc and I love it. I don't get to do it as often as I like since I have a 13 mile one way and various work related events after work.