Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I was lusting over the Beargrease until our LBS friend told us that it's not worth the $3k. He said it doesn't feel all that much lighter than the regular Mukluk, so he didn't feel it was worth the asking price for a bike that doesn't feel less bulky. I SO want that orange Mukluk 3, though! A fat bike is almost certainly my N+1 once my El Mariachi comes. Then there isn't anywhere I can't go by bike here in MI!
    Ouch..3000? No thanks then. Ohhh..didn't see the Mukluk 3 since the Fat Bike forum didn't mention it. She's gorgeous and nicer looking. Surly Nate tires, BB7s and trigger shifters. Don't know much about rims. Mine are Graceful Fat Shebas and the Mukluk 3 on the site says Surly Unholy Rolling Darryls.

Not sure if I could put trigger shifters on mine (X7 twisters stock) and X7 rear derailleur or if it's worth it. I've heard great things about the Nates though. BB5 disc brakes are good enough for me. Maybe I should just buy the frame and move everything over from mine. LOL!

Only thing I don't like about my fat bike is pumping up the inner tubes. If I get a flat out on a trail, it would take forever pumping it up. I spent 10 minutes using a floor pump the other day.

Surly's Krampus is a 29er fat bike of sorts. I think they are 3 inch wide tires. Guy in a LBS said he rode it and loved it. Would be a happy medium of sorts.

Was it the Mariachis that have a limited edition color for 2013?

Ohh..Evil Salsa..blue Fargos. Again, just buy the frame and move the parts over...LOL.

Ha!

Yep, there is a ltd edition (color and I don't think they're making many at all) dedicated SS El Mar for 2013...gorgeous!

The Krampus is what my DH is lusting over. I doubt even the smallest of that would have clearance for my squatty legs.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Ha!

Yep, there is a ltd edition (color and I don't think they're making many at all) dedicated SS El Mar for 2013...gorgeous!

The Krampus is what my DH is lusting over. I doubt even the smallest of that would have clearance for my squatty legs.
    Beautiful! I just took a good look at it. Are you considering the complete build or getting the frame and building it up? You may have said & I didn't see it.

About the bike running large, back when I was lusting over a Fargo a few years ago I realized that all Salsa bikes appear to run large. I think you made a great call with the XS. So excited for you and looking forward to seeing new pictures when the time comes! You also need to bring it down here to Brown County State Park with Limewave next year and ride it with us

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    You also need to bring it down here to Brown County State Park with Limewave next year and ride it with us
    I concur. And I can carpool with you.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Catrin, I'd be going with the full build from Salsa...then in the future changing things out as I have a better idea what I like and don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    I concur. And I can carpool with you.
    I'm REALLY seriously hoping to register for the clinic. DH thinks it looks like a good time for the whole family, too.

An interesting possibility cropped-up, today. Apparently Salsa still has a few XS of the 2012 El Mariachi 3s in their warehouse...which means I could have one in probably a week's time. BUT, the more I think about it, the more I think I'm better off on a triple (2013), rather than a double (2012). And I rode a few circles in a parking lot on limewave's 29er with the exact same Shimano SLX shifters that the 2013 triple would have and they are a lot easier for me to work with my stubby/weak hands than the SRAM triggers on the 2012 model (I have SRAM on my current mtn. bike and I REALLY struggle to shift to larger rings on the front--long push and requires a lot more force than the Shimano). With the SRAM I could go to grip shifters, but I'm not sure whether I'd like that long-term. I read a lot of really mixed reviews of grip/twist shifters.

The 2013 frame also has slightly shorter chainstays, which would help me keep my weight over the back wheel better (so says DH--I know nothing, heh). Seems like the fork on the new bike really gets great reviews, too. Haven't compared wheels or tires, yet. But I'm leaning towards the 2013, even with the wait.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

The clinic is totally worth it - hope to see you there! I bet your DH wouldn't have any trouble finding men to ride with and I assume the children's clinic will be repeated next year.

Personally I've a SRAM X0 grip on the left, X7 trigger on the right side of my mountain bike. I LOVE that combination. X0 and above grips are awesome, I don't know that I would go below X0. X9 grips are fine, but the grip is a different size and I don't care for that.

I've been riding this hybrid configuration for a few months now and REALLY like it. My hands are small, and the bits of arthritis were giving me a real problem with trigger on the left - but this totally solved it. I've X0 grips on my Gunnar, over 2k miles so far and no issues at all.

Of course you've more experience on the trails than I do, and you are a more aggressive mountain biker so who can say that you would have the same experience with them.

Arrow

Go with your gut, Zoom (which I think is telling you to wait for the 2013).
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    This - it is what I was originally going to say until I got caught up on grip shifters

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Of course you've more experience on the trails than I do, and you are a more aggressive mountain biker so who can say that you would have the same experience with them.
    Oh, I am totally not aggressive...yet. I brake a little all the way down steeper hills and gnarly roots and things (which I know is bad for the trails, but not braking would be bad for ME!).

I really like my triggers on the right, it's only the left one and shifting to a larger ring that is tough for me, as you have found. But after playing a bit with limewave's bike I suspect it's more SRAM triggers vs. Shimano triggers that are the issue. I don't think I'd even be considering grip shifters if my current bike had Shimano's triggers.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Yeah, I don't mind the wait, really. It will likely keep me from doing a race that I'd considered in Nov., but I'm probably smart to wait another year to do that, anyhow. The longest ride I've ever done on a mountain bike is just 16 miles, so nearly doubling that in a race scenario in just 3 months is perhaps unwisely overambitious.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3