Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool 100 Day Burpee Challenge

To disable ads, please log-in.

My training group has taken on a 100 day Burpee challenge. What IS this "burpee"? If you don't know here is a nice video that shows beginner and modified versions of this whole body exercise.

The 100-day challenge started August 1, and that day started with 1 burpee, 2 the next day, and so forth. So today we are doing 13 of them (that I still need to do). At the end of this challenge we will each donate 1 cent per burpee to a charity that we decide as a group. Right now it is pretty easy...though you should see some of the burpee variations our trainer thinks of I will let the reader calculate how many burpees we will have done by the time this challenge is over, I don't like to think about it... It is just one extra burpee a day, that's all, just one extra each day.
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-13-2012 at 05:22 PM.

I love these kinds of challenges! I think I might try to join you starting today but I'll have to do 13 straight off the bat.

BTW - It doesn't look like you got your link to imbed in the above post.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Sorry about that Wahine, here it is She starts out showing a regular burpee then moves to show three modified versions.

My knees and hip just exploded watching that.

13 Done!
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    My knees and hip just exploded watching that.
    they actually feel pretty good, I must admit that I learned them with the Bosu. When you stand up you pick up the Bosu ball and press it over the head (no jump)...its amazing how heavy that can seem after a few reps! The more...creative versions of these are fun and brutal at the same time. Just the regular version really hits the whole body, let alone the advanced variations. A few days ago we tried a "sideways" burpee variation that I just couldn't do. Yet

Got my 14 in this morning first thing, before breakfast and caffeine, it certainly gets the heart pumping!
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-14-2012 at 12:43 AM.

A burpee workout variation I like: you do a set of exercises (say, 20 squats, 100 mountainclimbers, 20 crunches, etc...) but for every minute it takes you to complete the workout, you have to do 4 burpees. So you set a timer to 1 minute, start your workout, at the 1 minute ping you stop where you are and do 4 burpees. Then you continute with your reps.
    It hurts so much after a while but stopping and whining will just earn you another set of burpees

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    A burpee workout variation I like: you do a set of exercises (say, 20 squats, 100 mountainclimbers, 20 crunches, etc...) but for every minute it takes you to complete the workout, you have to do 4 burpees. So you set a timer to 1 minute, start your workout, at the 1 minute ping you stop where you are and do 4 burpees. Then you continute with your reps.
    It hurts so much after a while but stopping and whining will just earn you another set of burpees
    oooooooh, you must be related to our trainer

The sideways burpee is pretty wild, and my legs/hips couldn't get it yesterday but I am determined to change that:

Squat down. kick your legs back 45 degrees - top leg in front. (If straight back is 90 degrees and straight to the side is 0 degrees, then it's in the middle.) Do a push-up. Back to squatting position. Jump up. Yell "I love burpees." (the last bit is optional!)

So your legs or you lower body are turned to the side but you upper body is turned to the front to do the pushup, right?

I get most of my ideas from Zuzanas Zwows on youtube. She obviously really loves burpees

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    So your legs or you lower body are turned to the side but you upper body is turned to the front to do the pushup, right?

I get most of my ideas from Zuzanas Zwows on youtube. She obviously really loves burpees
    Yes, all of the movement is at the hip, upper body stays turned to the front. My body couldn't quite figure this one out , yet. I got so confused trying to figure this one out that I forgot the jumping up part! Thankfully no one laughed but it would have been fine if they had

I REALLY like this style of training, and it certainly keeps my body confused as to what is coming next. I believe that is part of the point of functional training

Reverse Burpee...I think I have to try this tomorrow for my 15

We will see how well it actually works I KNOW I can do this going back on the Bosu, just unsure if I can do this from the floor.
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-14-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Funny - I never heard them called reverse burpees.

These are hard. I do them on the floor like in the video. It's important to bring the weight forward to help you get up.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Yep, this was the very first form of the burpee I learned

I don't know if the video of the "Reverse Burpee" is actually the one we are going to do in my 6am training group tomorrow, I've learned there are burpee variations with the same name. There is no doubt our trainer will come up with some Burpee variation to get our 15 in during the session in the morning.

The Bosu exercise I thought of when I saw the video of the Reverse Burpee is what our bosu instructor calls the Get Up Get Down. I've done this with small dumbbells, just don't know if I can do it from the floor.
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-15-2012 at 04:11 AM.

496?
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike