Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thinking of joining the fun - I need a new bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been thinking about selling my Breezer 3 speed, and buying a bike that would be better suited for the hills around here. I'm going to need to go down (morning) the back up (afternoon) a 300 ft hill in 2.7 miles. This is what I'm thinking of getting:
    http://www.gtbicycles.com/2012/bikes...yon-3-0-womens
    Saw it in the LBS after my club ride on saturday. Ride leader is a bike commuter, and if I'm going to live in the area, I'm going to have to learn to like hills.
    Any bike I get would be tricked out with fenders, rack, lights, etc. Already own nice paniers.

Anyone familiar with Tachyons?
    Last edited by bmccasland; 08-13-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: another thought came through the grey matter. Ummm, and a grammar fix
    Beth

Not familiar with Tachyons unfortunately.

In that price range, another option to consider is the Novara Safari. It's steel, so on the heavy side, but a nice smooth ride. It already comes with a rack. Good gearing for hills. I have an older model and love it as my commuter bike, but I've also done long rides on it (it's designed for touring so can handle distance). I have mine decked out with fenders, lights, cheap panniers, kickstand - the works.

love with Vita Elite

I have been riding a Specialized Vita Elite for my 10 plus mile commute. It climbs like a charm and is a very comfortable ride. Might be worth a look.
    Deany

"A girl can never have too many bicycles"

2008 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2012 Specialized Vita Elite
    2013 Specialized Myka Elite

Will you be commuting come rain or shine? If so, I'd give some thought to disc brakes, especially if you have some descents on your commute.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I've been commuting on my Kona Dew Plus, with disk brakes. It's a rolling commute with a couple of bigger hills in it. I'm loving the bike for my commute. Just tossing it out there.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by bmccasland View Post
    I've been thinking about selling my Breezer 3 speed, and buying a bike that would be better suited for the hills around here. I'm going to need to go down (morning) the back up (afternoon) a 300 ft hill in 2.7 miles. This is what I'm thinking of getting:
    http://www.gtbicycles.com/2012/bikes...yon-3-0-womens
    Saw it in the LBS after my club ride on saturday. Ride leader is a bike commuter, and if I'm going to live in the area, I'm going to have to learn to like hills.
    Any bike I get would be tricked out with fenders, rack, lights, etc. Already own nice paniers.

Anyone familiar with Tachyons?
    The Tachyon 3 is pretty nice, considering the price, though I've only ever seen the unisex version here. It also gets points from my inner Trekkie. I would consider getting one as a commuter!

I do second the suggestion to consider disc brakes if you're going to be regularly commuting in wet weather, though.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

A Breeze is pretty darned heavy, and when were its bearings last overhauled? Oh, and it's gearing is limited. I couldn't get through to the link but ... get the bike that feels good and has the features you want. If you're going to ride in the rain, fenders are a must... I think you should go all the way and get a Transport :P