Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: New to riding

New to riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just started riding my bike it's a cruiser. I'm 52 years old and about 40 to 50 lbs overweight . I have worked up to 9 miles in an hour . Is there anyone out there that has lost weight and how long before you started seeing even small results.

Quote Originally Posted by Cboudreaux View Post
    I just started riding my bike it's a cruiser. I'm 52 years old and about 40 to 50 lbs overweight . I have worked up to 9 miles in an hour . Is there anyone out there that has lost weight and how long before you started seeing even small results.
    Welcome to TE and to cycling! I started riding about 2.5 years ago and have lost close to 60 pounds, much of that in the first year. I was also doing other things than riding but the important thing is to be active and keep pedaling! As your rides get longer you will also need to explore fueling properly for the bike, but that will come in time.

Yes, I was obese and was able to get down to a normal weight. I've kept the weight off (with about a 4 or 5 pound fluctuation range) now for about eight months. My story is here: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=47094

Good luck! Keep riding! And pay attention to how much you eat. Exercise is important but cutting the calories is what causes you to lose weight.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I'm 65 and still about 20 lbs over what I'd like to weigh. It took me about 3 weeks of riding for about an hour several times a week to begin losing. I'm down 15 lbs at this point. I've worked up to 2 hour rides about 4 times a week and then on the alternate days I kayak. We also walk our dogs in the afternoon at a leisurely pace for about 45 minutes.

It's much harder than it used to be!

My diet has changed to all whole foods and traditional preparation as described by Weston Price. It's definitely not low fat and I avoid refined/processed "food".
    Shelley, Great Grandma Beginner
    1991 Specialized Hard Rock
    2012 Trek Superfly100 AL Elite

Occasional blogging at: My Mountain Home

Weight loss is 80% diet, but you need that exercise for fitness! Plus the more calories you burn, the more you can eat

I started out at 200lbs in January. I'm 5'3. I'm down to 151 and still want to lose about 21 lbs. At first I was losing about 2 lbs a week, now it's about 1lb a week. I'm fine with that. Weight loss is not a race, it's a whole new lifestyle!

Welcome to TE!! Great job making changes and starting the journey with cycling. I was a very serious cyclist for about 15 years, stayed trim, then after starting a family, stopped riding for a long time. In those years my weight crept up, went through an illness, and just this summer, actually right at 2 months ago, I started riding again. February to June, I walked and rode my stationary bike. Lost a little weight, but gained a fair amount of fitness. I got back into riding longer distances fairly quickly and have worked up to an OK average speed and better than average miles. These past several weeks, I have averaged about 150 - 180 miles a week and spend anywhere from 9 - 11 hours in the saddle. I've changed my diet a little bit, but not radically, as I know it's not a change I can make permanently. I've lost 20 lbs. in the last two months, and I've seen the most loss as I've ridden longer, faster and more vigorously. Cycling is good for weight loss, but it is a sport that you can put a little or a lot of effort into. Unlike running, where there is no coasting. As your fitness improves, your weight loss will increase because you will be able to go longer and harder. I've lost 40 lbs. total in a little over 6 months and I have abou 25 - 30 to go.

So to answer your question... Yes, I've lost weight by cycling, but didn't see much result until I was riding more miles, more quickly. However, I have not dieted seriously and I've gained a lot of muscle and cardio-vascular health, too.

Best of luck and welcome to cycling!
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony