Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

One bike for everything?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is it possible? I'm considering a Salsa Casserole or a Surly Crosscheck as a do it all bike... Commuting, centuries, etc. does this make sense? Also... Fewer dealers in those brands and the LBS didnt seem to have a fit expert. Suggestions?

Those are good choices for do it all bikes, although be forewarned that Salsa is discontinuing the Casseroll for 2013. You might have trouble finding one in your size. The Salsa Vaya might be a good alternative.

If this isn't your first bike, try to compare the geometry of your current bike (assuming it fits) to the geometry charts for Salsa and Surly. See if there's anything close. How tall are you? What's your inseam? Are you long armed and how's your flexibility? Maybe we can help narrow it down for you. Once you have the bike, feel free to schedule an appointment with a fitter at another shop. You'll have to pay for a comprehensive fitting, but it will be well worth the money.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

..... One Bike to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them ...

Sorry. I really tried to resist. I really did.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks Murienn, I hadn't heard that yet

What about a Salsa Warbird? It's a gravel road racer. The Crosscheck is really nice, but pretty heavy.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I have a Gunnar Sport, which I bought for the same reason as you. I don't have fenders or a rack on it, but plan on doing so if/when that makes sense. I've used it for commuting, for regular 30-50-mile weekend rides, and have 100-mile-plus charity rides planned over the next three months. So far, I've been more than happy.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Quote Originally Posted by murielalex View Post
    I have a Gunnar Sport, which I bought for the same reason as you. I don't have fenders or a rack on it, but plan on doing so if/when that makes sense. I've used it for commuting, for regular 30-50-mile weekend rides, and have 100-mile-plus charity rides planned over the next three months. So far, I've been more than happy.
    I have several friends who have the Gunnar CX bike and use it for both paved and gravel road riding. Really nice bike, but they don't make it small enough for shorter folks. I think the shortest person I know on one is about 5'7".

I love my Redline Conquest. I've ridden it with knobbies or slicks and I'm pretty sure it can take fenders and panniers.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    What about a Salsa Warbird? It's a gravel road racer. The Crosscheck is really nice, but pretty heavy.
    Yeah but that weight savings comes at a price. Even the AL version of the Warbird is a far bit more expensive than the Crosscheck, Vaya or Casseroll. Plus, it's AL. I wonder how it rides in comparison.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Kona Jake the Snake?

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately my current bike does not fit well. I think it's too small. I put way too much weight on upper body and now have nasty tendinitis in my elbows. It's a 51 cm specialized dolce from 2007. I am 5'6".... And I guess I better figure out those other measurements!

Thanks for he help!

Have you ever had a fitting? Sometimes you can remedy having too much weight in your upper body by moving the saddle back. I know it may seem counterintuitive but it's worth a shot.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I did everything on my first bike - Rivendell Rambouillet, commuted to work, self supported tour of Nova Scotia, towing a trailer, and my first three double centuries (200 miles in 1 day).

So yeah it's possible.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

+1 on the suggestion to get a fit.

When I shopped for my current bike, I started with a fitting to get some recommendations on bikes to test. I did this after testing many, but without a clear idea of what to try. I find testing bikes is not easy and I most definitely did not enjoy the process: bike shops won't have the right size, some do less than a cursory fit for you to test; you may not know the neighborhood and might be concentrating more on where you are riding instead of the feeling of the bike.

With my old bike, I put too much weight on my arms and shoulders. They bike was somewhat big for me and I needed (and always will need) more work on my core. I admit that work on my core sporadically. I also put it to the test on the bike, by riding stretches where I keep my riding position but put no weight on my hands at all.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I have several friends who have the Gunnar CX bike and use it for both paved and gravel road riding. Really nice bike, but they don't make it small enough for shorter folks. I think the shortest person I know on one is about 5'7".

I love my Redline Conquest. I've ridden it with knobbies or slicks and I'm pretty sure it can take fenders and panniers.
    A CX bike with rack mounts is probably a good do-anything bike.

Shame about the Gunnar. I just looked up their geometry chart. I'm about 5'7", but I'd probably have to be on the smallest size they make!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

on a vain note, the 2012 Surly Cross Checks as so pretty I love the current color. As a proponent of Surly, I would vote for it. My DH uses a cross check as his everything bike, in fact he just did a 3 day tour on his, pulling a bob trailer and it only has two gears. Like Veronica, I am totally spoiled with my Rivendell. She is a fabulous do everything bike for me.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com