Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Back in the Saddle

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, what a great forum. I am not a new rider but I haven't ridden in many, many years. I decided to get back into it a few weeks ago because I really want to get back in shape. Plus, I am also in the process of quitting smoking. It's hard!! I bought a Specialized Vita Comp last week and have been riding everyday. Not real far yet but I've been increasing distance everyday.

Hope to get a lot of info from the forum!

Thanks

Congratulations and welcome to the forum! You will learn a lot here - I know I did

Congrats on quitting smoking! Exercise really helped me, and I've not had a cig for 12 years.

I'm fairly new here and have learned a lot. Enjoy your new bike!
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

How did you quit? I've tried many times but I think my attitude is different this time.

Good for you for quitting! And welcome to TE!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

You know, I seem to know a LOT of people who have quit smoking and gone on to be AMAZING athletes...people who simply blow me out of the water (and I've never touched a single cigarette in my almost 40 years, though I did grow up around too much 2nd-hand smoke). Same thing with friends who have lost huge amounts of weight. Makes me wonder how many chain-smoking couch potatoes are still out there, totally unaware of the gifts they are squandering. Good for you for making this change and seeing what you are capable of!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I've only been here for a few weeks but have really been inspired! I'm sure you'll find the same is true for you. And, in that department, having a brand new bike can't hurt
    Congratulations on being smoke free!
    Shelley, Great Grandma Beginner
    1991 Specialized Hard Rock
    2012 Trek Superfly100 AL Elite

Occasional blogging at: My Mountain Home

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    You know, I seem to know a LOT of people who have quit smoking and gone on to be AMAZING athletes...people who simply blow me out of the water (and I've never touched a single cigarette in my almost 40 years, though I did grow up around too much 2nd-hand smoke). Same thing with friends who have lost huge amounts of weight. Makes me wonder how many chain-smoking couch potatoes are still out there, totally unaware of the gifts they are squandering. Good for you for making this change and seeing what you are capable of!
    You are so correct about the couch potatoes. Fortunately I never had that problem, but I do know of several people who are and just don't seem to want to change that.

The smoking thing is a really hard thing to quit. I've had a few setbacks but I am going in the right direction.

Thanks for all the kind words!