Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hot August Miles

To disable ads, please log-in.

I almost posted in the July thread but realized it was August!

Last 2 hard/long training runs:
    Yesterday 2 hours on treadmill at high incline doing more of a "power hike". It's hot, hot, hot in the garage! Thanks goodness I have the full 4 seasons of The Big Bang Theory--keeps me occupied! 2 hrs = 6 episodes. Then today I did 8 miles of "hill" (bridge) repeats.

So that's it...nothing but short incline workouts or easy runs. We fly out 1 week from today and the race is on Saturday. I think I am more nervous this time than last year. Not sure why? Maybe because I really know how tough it is. Maybe because I want to bet last years time? Maybe because I worry I am not as fit as last year? And one never knows about the weather or what altitude will do to me this year. Ready or not...Pikes Peak here I come!

K
    katluvr

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Sounds like you're as ready as you're going to be!! My good friend is doing it, too. We are flatlanders, so he trains all summer at the stadium steps at OU. He's done it the last couple years, and I think this year he's doing the double (the half then the full the next day)??
    I hope to do that some day, but most likely not until I retire, as it's always the first week that school starts and I can't take any time off that week.

My runs have sucked in the heat lately. Trying to heart rate train, and it's just not working out. More walking than jogging/running. So for now, I'm leaving my HR monitor at home and just running (even tho I know it's in the high 160's- I just don't care).
    4 weeks until my 50K. I DNF'd the last 50K I attempted at the end of June (only made it 27 miles), so we'll see how I do in the heat with this one. If I have to walk the whole dang thing, I'm going to cross that finish line this time, dangit!!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Hey Kat -

If you had to pick between road shoes or fairly light hiking shoes (not boots), which would you go with? Never found trail shoes that worked.

Thanks!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Jess-I have used regular road shoes for trail running. I would wear those over light weight hiking shoes. I know you didn't ask me, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

15 minutes of hill repeats for me yesterday before a strength training workout. And 2x1600's the day before that. . . . Slowly starting to feel like a runner again.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

It's not so hot here, at last! The olympics have inspired me to actually do speed work this week: a 4 mile tempo run Tuesday, and today's run included some intervals on the track. There were more people out on the track than I've ever seen before, 4 walkers, one with a little dog.

Looking forward to tomorrow's long run, as it's supposed to get down into the upper 50s tonight!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    Jess-I have used regular road shoes for trail running. I would wear those over light weight hiking shoes. I know you didn't ask me, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
    That's what I usually wear trail running, but I won't be running much of Pikes. Just wondering if I'd be better off in the shoes I usually would wear to hike a 14er. The scree at the top worries me a bit, especially since I usually hike with poles. The shoes I'm considering are the Merrell Siren Sport, so I don't think they're particularly overkill.

Jess,

I wear what I wear on the road....did that last year and no problems. Of course there as no rain, snow or ice (and one never knows). So I would wear what you are comforable in. For me that is my regular running shoes and I hope to stay dry!

As for above tree line...I have VERY short legs and I felt like I needed to be a mountain goat, but truly it is a trail and I didn't feel like I slipped or needed better traction. I did use my hands and find biking gloves useful.

As I think back I saw alot of regular running shoes on folks feet.

I am both excited and nervous!

Kay
    katluvr

Ah, what a beautiful day for a run-- 56F and just a hint of a breeze at 6:30 am. WOW. Kinda wished I'd dug out some lightweight gloves, my hands were quite cold for the first few miles. Petered out at just 8 miles; I'd intended to go a bit further, but I was out of gas. I know perfectly well that I need to eat something first if I'm going to be out for much more than an hour, but I didn't... Oh well.

Our biggest 5k is tonight. Don't like running in the evening, but the weather's so wonderful that I just might do it anyway. It'd be just for fun, not time, after the morning run. Or I might just go downtown and cheer at the finish line!

Alright, after a couple weeks of sluggish running my confidence is back. Ran the Georgetown to Idaho Springs half Saturday - rolling hills, but a net elevation loss of about 1,000 feet (Georgetown is at 8,500, Idaho Springs is at 7,500). Fantastic race. Temps were nice and cool and while there was some sun it was overcast by the time we left town again. The kids who worked the aid stations had chalked inspiring messages and put signs up along the whole race course and it felt like the miles just flew by. Finished in 1:59, so I finally have my sub-2 half at altitude

(It will be funny to compare the times across this season of half marathons - will range from 1:59 to probably close to 5 hours for the various races!)

I was wondering what was up with the police crime scene tape I saw on my run this morning; checked the local news when I got home and found out it was a drug-related murder last evening. Sigh.

Other than that, it was an excellent run. Kept hitting stoplights just as they turned green, drivers were unusually courteous, and a homeless guy who's usually surly responded to my "good morning" with a smile. Weird. 7 miles in just over an hour, so fast I logged it as a tempo run even though that wasn't my intent!

One great story from the 5k I didn't do Sat. evening-- the winner on the women's side, in about 18 min., gave birth to twins just 5 months ago. Her husband also was under 20 minutes, despite pushing the stroller with the twins! Amazing...

School started Wed., and students start moving into the dorms at the university today, so I've been trying out some new routes to avoid some areas. Nice to see some different neighborhoods!

After today, I have a lot more sympathy for those who struggle to find the right, supportive bra. Being a couple days late on doing the laudry, I pulled out a very old, worn bra. As I wear a 32A, there's not much to support, but this bra wasn't cutting it. It went straight into the trash when I got home. Still went 5.5 miles, jiggling all the way...

I made what I think might've been a big mistake yesterday. Met some of my relay team for a run after work - they chose to do an out-and-back essentially straight up a mountain. 8,300-9,500 feet, up for 2.4 miles and then back. I tried to take it easy since Pikes Peak is tomorrow morning but I'm feeling pretty rough today.

Also really overstressing that I have done almost all of the laundry and yet all of my favorite socks are still singles. HOW DID ALL OF THE PAIRS DISAPPEAR? (That's what I get for bragging last week that all of my socks matched after folding laundry. The sock gods were displeased...)

Wow. The Pikes Peak Ascent is probably the hardest thing I've ever raced.

It wasn't too bad for the first...10-11 miles? Steady solid hiking, running when it got close to flat or downhill. Once we got above treeline...and particularly the last mile...hello, zombieland. The last mile has 815 feet of climbing. From 13,300-14,115 (or slightly below, since the finish isn't quite on the summit). And you know you're a mile away, and you can see the finish...and it's so far up you can barely crane your neck to see it with a hat on. From that point on, I refused to look anywhere but down the valley that we had already climbed or at the person's feet in front of me.

My running group came to spectate and met me at the top with a coke and a donut. I love them so much right now.

Will I sign up again for next year? Probably

It's been an exceptionally fast week. My easy runs have been generally at a 9-9:15/mile pace, but this week it's been 8:35-8:45. I haven't been trying to go fast, and it hasn't felt like I'm going that fast, but there it is. Probably has a lot to do with the unseasonable cool temps; it's been in the low to mid 50s at dawn.

There's a 5k this weekend that I just might do after all, just to see if this speed is for real.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    nice, jess. Have you also considered Imogene Pass Run? That is a spectacular one. Probably a little far from home for you but it's amazing. Collegiate Peaks has a 25 mile if you are up for similar but a little farther run :-)

kat owes us a report, too!